PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Adjustment & Alignment

4runner luv
11-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Ok, so lifted my 4runner up front with some adjustable King coilovers about a month ago. They were adjusted for about 1.5" of lift. Wanted about 2" total lift, so I cranked them up a bit with a spanner wrench that Darren over at Twizted Engineering (http://www.twiztedengineering.com) in Broomfield made for me.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=15699&stc=1&d=1257634769

It was a BITCH! Jacked up at crossmember to relieve some load on the springs and cranked away. I have seen advice that said to use two cuttoff screwdrivers or rods to insert into the adjustment holes and twist with that, but it wouldn't budge. I got them to turn with the wrench, but with the 4runner upper mount in the way, it was not easy. Kinda mucked up the adjuster on the coilover.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=15700&stc=1&d=1257634781

Any advice for a better way? Obviously, could take them off to adjust, but off... adjust... on... check height.... off again... and repeat. Would suck. I would say that getting coilovers with the adjustment on the bottom would have been best. Or maybe drilling more adjustment holes into the adjuster... dam... maybe that would have been best. There are only three, so getting to the next one without interference after 1/3 turn, was tight. Had there been six... maybe easier. What do ya think?

Next up: I noticed the tires have started wearing unevenly; worn more on outside than inside (too much positive camber). So... being that tires are on their last leg and I'm too broke at the moment for new ones, I decided to try my hand at adjusting the alignment a bit and save money for a real alignment until I can afford new tires. All I did was move the cams on the bottom control arm out one notch each, thus moving the positive camber more towards the negative.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=15701&stc=1&d=1257634781

I had never done this before, so I don't know the relationship between one notch on the cam and how much lower control arm adjust. I figure unless I overshot the mark (0 degrees camber), it will be an improvement over my existing condition, and if I don't notice my tire wear evening out, I can go one more notch.

Any comments, advice, suggestions?

AxleIke
11-07-2009, 06:22 PM
If there is room, I'd think it would be easier to compress the spring a bit with spring compressors and then move the nut.

Uncle Ben
11-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I lift up the front of my 40 as high as my big jackstands will reach, pull the front wheels/tires and let the axle droop all the way down. Not too bad at that point. Silly question but you did loosen the lock bolt, right?

4runner luv
11-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, spring compressors would be about the same effort as taking them off, adjusting, then putting back on. Would have to release spring compressor, check height, then repeat. Maybe fast with an impact gun though.

I had the suspension drooped out as far as it could go... and yes... loosened the lock bolt.

Mostly just a matter of getting the spanner wrench on square, with the sides of the shock mount in the way... and the upper control arm. I may try flipping the assembly. I think the upper and lower joints are the same. That way the adjuster would be on the bottom. Prolly won't be an issue till I rebuild them... which won't be for a while (I hope). Would be nice to play around with the height though, without fear of further messing up the nice (was nice) anodized finish on the aluminum.

Thanks for the tips fellow Toyota dudes!

nakman
11-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Once you get done cranking, take a trip to Japanese Auto... Ward Road and almost as far south as I-70, for about $100 they can do an alignment and it will be money very well spent, very good in the ways of IFS. You don't want to blow through that next set of tires.. ;)

4runner luv
11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the tip Nakman. I will definitely look into them when I get some scratch together for some new tires. Side note: I haven't gotten a vehicle aligned in years... is $100 what they are goin' for these days? Used to be that $40 would get a decent alignment. Damn... I must be gettin' old... as if the receding hairline didn't already tell me that.

nakman
11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I think like a lot of things in life, you get what you pay for. These guys know what's up, particularly with lifted vehicles.. I was referred to them by Sleeoffroad and was really happy with the results.