PDA

View Full Version : help w/ axle from IRBIS Offroad

azrider
11-07-2009, 11:34 PM
I have been on 'mud for some time now, just now registered with Rising Sun. I am a member of the Copper State Cruisers club here in Arizona. I met a few members of the Rising Sun club on the Golden Spike trail this year during Cruise Moab ( dont remember his name, but he was the tailgunner that day and I traded gatorade for some water). But anyway, I need a locked front axle housing, called the guy at IRBIS and he says he has one he will sell for $300. Would someone with some knowledge assist me in making sure I get a locked front axle housing that is is in good shape and straight. My brother lives in Loveland, he can pick it up. But he has no idea what he is looking at. I will send you $350, and you can either buy the axle for me and take it home and I can have my brother pick it up from your house, or you can go pay and inspect it and my brother can pick it up from them. Either way, I need to be sure I get a good axle. I dont want to drive or have my brother drive all the way from Phx to Denver for a bad axle. So I offer a few bucks for your help.
On another note, I am from Loveland CO, but have lived in Phoenix for the last 10 years. I am going to be moving to either Louisville or Fort Collins by summer of next year and at the latest Fall. So I plan on joining up with your club when I move back. I have frequented the Rising Sun forum to see the stuff you guys do, the trail runs and get togethers. Sounds like alot of fun.
If you guys are a little iffy on helping me out, PM Kevin Patterson (Tools R Us). I know a bunch of you guys know him or know of him, and he will vouch that i'm a upstanding guy. I'm not to worried about sending money to one of you guys to do the transaction, if you're involved with the club and own a cruiser, you pretty much have to be a good guy.:) Take care Shannon Burchardi(azrider)

60wag
11-08-2009, 06:35 AM
I'm nowhere near Irbis so I can't check out the axle but I can say that Oleg does top notch work and doesn't sell junk. I think the risk of buying a bad axle housing from him is near zero.

powderpig
11-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Shannon is Ok, a little Nuts, but OK. How high did you go to bend the Axle? Do you have a Picture?
When did you need this done Shannon?

farnhamstj
11-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Welcome to the board. Sorry I'm a 100+ miles from Irbis. They built a rear bumper and a bunch of other stuff for me. I guess this is another plug for the Quality of IRBIS. I'm sure someone will check it out for you though.

sleeoffroad
11-08-2009, 09:12 AM
The catch is that it is very difficult to see if the axle is bent or not, unless really bent. You need to inspect the steering stops and see if they are damaged or bent in. If bent in, you are 99% guaranteed it is bent at the ball end. However you will not be able to visually see the bend.

The only way to make 100% sure is to use a true bar, but there are not that many people that have them.

If $300 is for a loaded axle with third member and complete ends, then you should take your chances, since that is a good price, if it is only the housing, then you need to make sure you get the right part. It also helps to know what kind of accident the truck was in that the housing came out of. If it was a front end hit, or the tires hit something, then normally that bends the housing as well.

Inukshuk
11-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Shannon - I may have been your gunner. What's your rig?

azrider
11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Sorry, im just used to my truck details being at the bottom of my posts. I have a 97 LX450 with factory lockers. I actually flew to CO and bought it from a guy in Denver 1 1/2 years ago, and drove it home.
Im sure a few of you guys have seen my Pismo Beach jumping when I was at the Surf N Turf last year. I'll post a picture and a link to my video. I would say I was at least 6 ft in the air at the lowest point. It was fun and stupid at the same time. I got back to Phoenix, drove perfect, and decided to stop by and see Kevin(Tools R Us) for a just-in-case inspection. Thats when he noticed the ball end of my axle is tweaked a little, and the only other thing was that I managed to compress my front end so much that my oil pan contacted my oil pan, which caused a very slight weep of oil to come out of a hairline crack.(take a look at your own rig and it seems impossible, but we seen the contact point on the axle, and I smeared some JB Weld on it and its all good now).
The guy from IRBIS says he has just the housing for $300, the whole complete axle would be $1000 I think he said. He said to pay for the axle housing and he will disassemble the axle after that. Its help from one of you guys I need to ask a few questions about the vehicle it came from, what year?, how many miles?, what was the accident or damage that put it in the salvage yard?, the same questions you would ask if you were putting the axle underneath your rig. I have the cash right now to send in the mail, I would like to get this project done this winter, while its not so hot.
Heres a couple links to my videos on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxdIGd2Ly18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQVDzpGYF0s

farnhamstj
11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
sweet jump!!

Hulk
11-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Good Lord! You're a long ways away from the ground!

Oleg is a good guy. I think you can safely ask him all your questions and be assured that he is answering honestly.

60wag
11-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I glad you at least got a picture of the event that bent your axle. Are you sure you don't need a front and a rear?

azrider
11-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I wouldnt even need a front unless I didnt notice the slight toe-in of the wheel. Plus, I did my lift, tires and gears after Pismo and the birf on the DS was a f----er to get in and out. It drives and acts the same as before the jumping. Who knows, maybe I did tweak the rear end a little, but i did a rebuild in the back and nothing seemed out of whack.

azrider
11-10-2009, 10:40 PM
So who am I sending my money too? :D

wesintl
11-12-2009, 01:28 PM
oleg...

I would help but i cannot tell whether or not the axle is bent unless it looks like a pretzel. probably very few that could here. Like others have already stated Oleg wouldn't knowingly sell you a bent one imho.

corsair23
11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
oleg...

I would help but i cannot tell whether or not the axle is bent unless it looks like a pretzel. probably very few that could here. Like others have already stated Oleg wouldn't knowingly sell you a bent one imho.

x2 - When I had my axle completely disassembled for gears and service the axle "balls" sure looked bent upward to me :hill: - Obviously they are supposed to be that way though...

Sounds like Christo knows the one way to really check he housing so maybe Slee for the check? But, I'm guessing Oleg knows how to check as well. I assume you've already asked Oleg about the shape of the axle and you are just looking for confirmation.

azrider
11-13-2009, 01:45 PM
All I asked Oleg was if he had a locked front axle housing from a 96-97 cruiser. How far is Christo from Oleg? I cant get this wrong, so I need someone there to check it, whether it be myself or someone else. Im not at all implying Oleg would sell a tweaked axle, from what you guys say he is a great guy. So perhaps I will talk to Christo, and have my brother buy and pick up the axle housing, then take it to Christo to have it checked. I would be furious if I ended buying a front end collision axle and it was bent.

sleeoffroad
11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
We have no way to measure if it is straight. I just shared what we have seen from experience on these bending.

azrider
11-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Well I guess the best I can do is get as much info as I can about the donor vehicle, Im sure Oleg will be able to give me that information. I will call him on Monday and talk it over with him.

corsair23
11-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Well I guess the best I can do is get as much info as I can about the donor vehicle, Im sure Oleg will be able to give me that information. I will call him on Monday and talk it over with him.

Sounds like a good start, and the best plan :thumb: - Maybe Oleg could snap some photos of the axle including the areas where if the axle is bent it would be obvious and post those up for comments :confused:

chtucker
11-14-2009, 12:05 AM
My wife bent a Dana 44 housing when she cartwheeled our Jeep. The only visual way to tell was that the axle seal leaked...You couldn't tell by looking at it.

treerootCO
11-14-2009, 06:45 AM
In researching what to do with a possibly bent Taco axle housing, I ran across this fella:
High Plains Machine & Tool
Tom Staub
3201 S. Zuni St., Unit C
Englewood
303-806-0451

He checked my housing for free; it's .020" off on one side and worthy of modifying to beef it up, then use it. He agreed with my plan to brace the spring perches. He even offered to recheck it after I do the welding. He charges $80 to straighten housings per side, more or less, and will check them for free if off the truck and empty.

Turns out ol' Tom's main business is moldmaking for various manufactured components, and took on axle work on the side because he was approached and there was a demand. He hardly has time for his main business now. He often cannot answer the phone, one man shop, and he is hard to find (no signs), but he can take blank axleshaft billets and spline them, take tubing, various center sections, various outer sections, and create hybrid axles to almost any specs. You need to provide the parts though...

He doesn't do R&Ps.

You might have to wait a while and will need to be patient about contacting him, but he can also rotate front pinion angles for $75 or so. He said he can do this in his sleep; this kind of work is not even a challenge for him.

I may regret turning you fellers and gals on to him, as he is gonna be busy, I can just tell...:p: :cheers:

From this thread:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1783

I knew I remembered that thread but it took me awhile to find it.

azrider
11-17-2009, 10:25 PM
thanks Treeroot, Im going to try and get ahold of him. By the way, I was at Cruise Moab and really wanted to check out your truck, but couldnt find it. Maybe next time.