PDA

View Full Version : Done, finished, finito....

corsair23
11-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Took me almost 4 weeks :hill: - but I'm finally done!

Finished up my rear axle service, front axle service, replace DS knuckle, replace AT pan, and gear swap earlier this evening...Thanks to everyone that answered my Q's along the way and to Mike for the use of the tranny jack. A HUGE thanks to Ben for setting up the gears, not to mention swinging by to make sure I had all the piece parts before I got started, picking up the rear 3rd and gears etc., answering some newb questions, letting me borrow the rear axle SST, and even stopping by to show me the proper way to pop the tie rod out so I could get the front 3rd pulled and to him the day before he was leaving for vacation :cool:.

All in all I think it went pretty well considering most of the work was a 1st for me. By FAR the worst part of this was the endless cleaning...I bet for every hour I actually spent wrenching, I spent 3-4 cleaning. Heather actually asked me why I was bothering to clean everything...She figured it was dirty when I pulled it apart, and would get dirty again after I put it all back together, so why clean...I'll admit that 1/2 way through I was starting to wonder if she didn't have a valid argument :hill:

I reused the rear bearings but in the front there are all new races, trunnion and wheel bearings, studs, cone washers, etc. including the new DS knuckle to replaced the one with the top caliper bolt hole that was stripped and Ben heliocoiled for me right before Moab. I didn't take many pictures along the way but here are some random shots...

One of the rear bearings when pulled...I'm 99% sure they have never been touched

Rear hub when pulled...

Rear hub and bearings packed and loaded - my $3 rear seal installation tool

Rear 3rd member - one heavy sucker

corsair23
11-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Front end...I already posted up pics of the birfs and of the AT pan swap so I'll leave those out...

PS knuckle cleaned and reinstalled...all new bearing, studs, cone washers, nuts, etc

View of Marlin's inner axle seal...

Spindle etc. reinstalled...

Hub and rotor back on with all new bearings ready to recheck the preload...

Tch2fly
11-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Nice job :thumb:

You should start a side business refurbishing backing plates :eek:

Romer
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Nice Job Jeff, that looks purdy

RicardoJM
11-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Very nice work Jeff. It has got to feel good to know the work is done and it done well. :thumb:

nakman
11-09-2009, 08:11 AM
I think I see a cat hair inside that PS knuckle... those things will wreak havok on a birfield sorry dude you're going to have to go back in there..

:lmao: looks awesome, Jeff. :thumb:

farnhamstj
11-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Nice work Jeff.

coax
11-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm afraid that's what my rear bearings will look like too, especially if my front bearings were any indication of prior PM :( Guess I'll find out in a few days when I tear into it. Just hope the warm weather holds for a little while longer. Congrats on finishing all that work!

Corbet
11-09-2009, 09:04 AM
What ratio gears did you (Ben) install? I must have missed that in a previous post.

Hulk
11-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks great -- you're set for another 10 years!

corsair23
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys :thumb:

Corbet: I went with 4.88s. That seems to be the most common selection for 315s although I must say, with the 285s the lower gearing makes the LX almost seem fast :hill: - If this wasn't my DD then I might have seriously considered going with 5.29s.

Coax: I wouldn't worry too much about the rear bearings...From what I have been told they are horribly neglected by most, especially POs, and Ben said despite that he has never seen a set fail. My hubs had plenty of grease tightly packed in there but the bearings themselves were basically just being bathed in oil and showed very little wear.

First real drive was today because last night after a quick test drive I decided that I had to bleed the brakes again :( - Today, after a 30 minute drive including about 10 mins at highway speed the hubs were cool to just slightly warm to the touch. I'll check them again after a longer highway drive but I'm thinking I got the preload on the front and rear about right :)

Jacket
11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Beautiful! I would have had the knuckles chromed though.

Three Wheel Ben
11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Looks good Jeff, glad you got it all back together.

That backing plate hasn't been that clean since it was born @ Araco.

wow.