PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Cutting Patrol w/ Colorado Land Cruisers

RicardoJM
11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
This is an annual event supported by Colorado Land Cruisers and a great opportunity to get your rig out in the snow and do some great community service.

Basic info: For the first two weekends in December which are Dec 5 and 6, Dec 12 and 13 the Colorado Land Cruisers patrol the Christmas Tree cutting area off Rampart Range road with the Forest Service.

We pull stuck cars out of the snow, locate lost hikers and lost vehicles and help the Forest Service with placing signs. We can use all of the help that you will offer. We can use up to 12 veicles per day. A minimum number of 4 per day really helps out.

We meet at the Western Gas station in Woodland Park and then procede to the Forest Service trailer or to the chain up area. Bring tire chains if you have them, lunch for yourself and any guests, normal trail equipment for cold weather runs. This is one of the main ways that we can help the Forest Service and maintain good relations with them.

For additional details as the evolve, see this post (http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/330704-christmas-tree-cutting-weekends.html) on the CLC sub-forum.

Cruzrman
11-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I can help the 5th or 6th. Let me know the details.
cruzrman

RicardoJM
11-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I can help the 5th or 6th. Let me know the details.
cruzrman

Great, it is always nice to do things with Colorado Land Cruisers (CLC) and Horsetooth Cruisers. CLC has a sign up on their website (which is hosted in IH8MUD) - just click here (http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/330704-christmas-tree-cutting-weekends.html) to post up and join in on the fun. :thumb:

nakman
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Guys I'm thinking of going down on Saturday the 12th... anyone else want to go from up here?

Uncle Ben
12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Guys I'm thinking of going down on Saturday the 12th... anyone else want to go from up here?

hmmmmmmm:pirate:

JohnInDenver
12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Me.

John
KDODCU
97 Tacoma with camper shell.

Convert
12-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Possibly trying to work out the details

LARGEONE
12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Tim...I wouldn't mind going down on the 12th to actually cut a tree. Not sure I can hang out all day, but we still need a tree for our house.

Here is a link to the forrest service site:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/pp/ppxmas/xmas.htm

I used to cut trees in Pike National forest every year when I lived in Co Springs. $10 bucks for a Charlie Brown tree...not bad!

Nay
12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm going to be out cutting a couple of trees on Sunday...when it supposed to be snowing...which will be perfect...

Not specifically heading out to support rescue, but could pitch in as needed so maybe I'll check out what is going on for that day :beer:

RockRunner
12-04-2009, 10:09 PM
How much snow do they have up there now? Last year there wasn't much snow to talk about. Just curious, the 12th may work.

nakman
12-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Ok so it looks like you can buy a permit at the Woodland Park middle school at 08:00, then meet everyone at the gas station at 08:30. How big is Woodland Park?

So to pull this off will likely need to be on I-25 headed south by 06:30- yes am. I'm fairly committed at this point so you've got until the end of the week to decide if you can roll down with me... hope so! :thumb:

Nay
12-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Woodland Park is pretty small. Will be hard to get terribly lost :D

I was out today with my family to cut our trees, saw a bunch of the CLC guys (first time I've run into them - have been doing this for six years), chatted with a few. Conditions were very cold (0 degrees around 5:00 pm) with the trails packed pretty hard.

A few inches of new snow made everything really nice. Conditions will be good if it stays cold, some of the primary roads like Rampart will get muddy in a hurry if it warms up.

I'm guessing today was a fun day for the group :thumb:

ZIronPig
12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Ok so it looks like you can buy a permit at the Woodland Park middle school at 08:00, then meet everyone at the gas station at 08:30. How big is Woodland Park?

So to pull this off will likely need to be on I-25 headed south by 06:30- yes am. I'm fairly committed at this point so you've got until the end of the week to decide if you can roll down with me... hope so! :thumb:

Woodland Park is pretty small. Will be hard to get terribly lost :D

I was out today with my family to cut our trees, saw a bunch of the CLC guys (first time I've run into them - have been doing this for six years), chatted with a few. Conditions were very cold (0 degrees around 5:00 pm) with the trails packed pretty hard.

A few inches of new snow made everything really nice. Conditions will be good if it stays cold, some of the primary roads like Rampart will get muddy in a hurry if it warms up.

I'm guessing today was a fun day for the group :thumb:

Yes,Tim you can get the permit right there at the middle school and cut a tree when your out on the patrol.

My dad & I went out Sunday and had a blast even if it only got to 4 deg F at mid-day. We didn't know you could buy the permit onsite, but we'll likely get a permit when we do this next year.

The CLC will also be out there next weekend. Easy to find. I-25 to COSprings, take Hwy 24 West to Woodland Park. You can meet the CLC guys at the Western Convenience store as you come into town about 8:30AM or you can go straight to the middle school to be there by 9AM (turn Right off Hwy 24, North, on S. Baldwin Street, next to McDonalds and it will turn into Rampart Range Road. Middle school is on the left about a mile north, right after Kelley's Road).

Our patrol passed Nay near the end of the day with his family in tow. Nay, that is one "Green" LC you have there! :cool:

Here a a few pics and I put more in an album.

wesintl
12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I think i'm going down sunday the 13th. I doubt I'll be able to fully volunteer with the kids and wife. What ham channel is being used by the FS OR CLC?

nakman
12-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I can't do the full day on Saturday, but am good for a solid morning shift... will likely need to be headed back north by noon or so. Paul, Dan, anyone else let me know if you can also go would be sweet if so.

I posted up about ham frequencies over on the mud thread.

Convert
12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I can't do the full day on Saturday, but am good for a solid morning shift... will likely need to be headed back north by noon or so. Paul, Dan, anyone else let me know if you can also go would be sweet if so.

I posted up about ham frequencies over on the mud thread.

Looks like I am out

nakman
12-11-2009, 09:02 PM
John I'll try to catch you on the radio on the way down.. either 146.460 or Colorado connection, hoping to be in motion by 6:30. Anyone else who wants in it's not too late!