PDA

View Full Version : E-Brake light issues

Big-J
11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Whats up everyone, I have a question for you all, maybe someone has had this issue and can point my in the right direction on how to fix it.....

A couple months ago my ebrake light just started coming on for no reason. It will turn off when a slow down and stop, but will turn back on again once I get going again. I assume I have a short, or a loose plug or something, but not sure where to look? Can anyone help me fix this, the light really annoys the crap out of me, its like one of the rattles you can hear but don't know where it's coming from! :banghead:

Thanks,

J

Tch2fly
11-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Whats up everyone, I have a question for you all, maybe someone has had this issue and can point my in the right direction on how to fix it.....

A couple months ago my ebrake light just started coming on for no reason. It will turn off when a slow down and stop, but will turn back on again once I get going again. I assume I have a short, or a loose plug or something, but not sure where to look? Can anyone help me fix this, the light really annoys the crap out of me, its like one of the rattles you can hear but don't know where it's coming from! :banghead:

Thanks,

J

Not sure what model you have. Did you check the fluid level in the master res?
Be aware that low fluid level may indicate the pads or shoes are worn. If the pads/shoes have not been checked for wear I would do that before just topping off the fluid.

Big-J
11-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Its a 99 SR5/4x4/auto
My pads should be good, I replaced them all at the same time and my front brakes are still good. I'll check the my fluid levels and see, thanks for the tip.

Squishy!
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I'll second the fluid level being low. That's generally the culprit.

4runner luv
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I have had the same issue on every toyota truck I have owned until now (1 2nd gen truck, 2 3rd gen trucks, and 1 Tacoma). I think the sensor goes bad that is mounted on the ebrake lever. On 4runners, it is located under the center console. I just pulled my out, and thought to myself... hmmm... I bet that's the little bugger that always gave me troubles on my previous Toys.

You can pull out the black insert to get to it.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=15744&stc=1&d=1257875523

It is snapped in over the e-brake lever. Check to see if its loose or has come off (see it to the left of the gold screw in the pic?)

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=15745&stc=1&d=1257875523

Mind you, I've never tried to fix the problem, but I think messing with the sensor, or replacing it might cure your problem.

Big-J
11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
If it has nothing to do with low fluid, Im going to disconnect that sensor, I think I can figure out wheather the e-brake is on or not.
Would it be possible for the e-brake to actually not completely disengage? I know the light turns on and off, maybe it's engaging & disengaging on its own?

Big-J
11-13-2009, 10:28 AM
So I unplugged the the ligth sensor, but the stupid light still comes on...wtf?

TIMZTOY
11-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Is it a one wire switch it two ? Try grounding the wire to the body somewere and see if the light goes out. But I'd put money on the master is low. It nay look full but that level sensor is sensitive. Take a small hammer and tap the medal part of the master cylender. The sensor can get stuck if it ever got low. Mine is going on and off in my 99 taco. Because I need to do brakes and the fluid level is low. Right on the min mark.

Tch2fly
11-13-2009, 06:19 PM
So I unplugged the the ligth sensor, but the stupid light still comes on...wtf?

When you say "sensor" are you referring to the switch connected to the e-brake handle? If so reconnect it and here is another test .... when the dash light is on engage the e-brake slightly while watching the light very closely. Does it get slightly brighter when you pull on the brake? This is another indication that the issue is in the brake fluid res. As Tim said tap lightly on the master and make sure the fluid is well above the min.

It is easy to relate the issue to the e-brake lever because you become so used to the connection between engaging the brake and light coming on but in my time at Toyota I saw far more issues with low fluid level or a bad/stuck fluid level sensor then the e-brake light switch.

Big-J
11-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Well I got it all figured out, thanks to you guys. The first time I checked the brake fluid it didn't look low, levels was just below "max", so I figured it was fine. After I dissconnected the sensor and the brake light still came on, I figured I would check the fluid again just to be sure, and of course it was low, but not by very much at all. I filled it, now no more light.

You guys are awesome, thanks!

subzali
11-17-2009, 01:49 PM
it's always best to actually find and solve the root of the problem rather than work around the indicator that is telling you something is wrong (reminds me of Madagascar II when the penguins break the warning light telling them something is wrong with the plane)...

...if it's anywhere near the same system as my red pickup you'll need that e-brake light if/when your alternator diode fails. Both the e-brake and the battery lights go on when that happens. If your e-brake light is disconnected, you (or if you sell it, the new owner) will think it's the battery and go down false roads. Not a big deal but still...

Just my :twocents: