PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day

Caribou Sandstorm
11-11-2009, 09:47 AM
What does Veterans day mean to you?

I do not have any military in my immediate family but as a history major in college, I wrote about war and the military often.

I have strong feelings that we should and could do more for those that have served this country.

Thank you to all whom have serverd our country and are members of this club.

Uncle Ben
11-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Great thread! Thank you all very much who are serving and who have served both our country in the military and also local governments! Your selfless giving makes posts and clubs like this possible! Thank you!

Hulk
11-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I just had lunch with a college friend who will be deploying in Afghanistan this month, for the next 12 months. Great guy. Just reminded me of how much sacrifice our men and women in uniform make for us.

Thanks to all of you who have served and who are serving now!

CBone
11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Agreed, thanks to all our veterans who have served or are currently serving around the world.

And, of course to those who were or are fortunate enough to have worn Marine green, happy 234th birthday yesterday to the Corps.

Nemo
11-11-2009, 03:50 PM
My thoughts on this day are reflection. I served for 8 years in the Navy and during these "interesting" times I think of those that continued to serve beyond me. I was in the first Iraq War and now looking at what I did while in the sand pales in comparison to what our friends and family are doing in foreign soils now. God Bless those that volunteer to serve for our freedoms we take for granted. :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

corsair23
11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Agreed on all accounts...I never "signed up" but know many that have, including a father-in-law that served in Vietnam and two of my best friends from high school that were involved in Desert Storm...In many ways I think they are better men for it and have often wished that I had served, even if just for a little while.

I've always felt we owe those that serve a GREAT level of gratitude among other things. It is a very small portion of the population that willingly serves our country today and they bear a huge burden for all of us.

To all the vets in our club, THANK YOU for your service!!

LARGEONE
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
We had an incredible Veteran's Day celebration at Amgen today. We have a veteran's group within the company that organized it and had the local American Legion chapter involved as well. It was great. A flag raising ceremony, history of all of the service flags, a 3 volley gun solute, and a vet story from Holland where they still fly the American flag on top of their church steeple to commemorate the Americans who died there to protect their town.

Afterward, I had lunch with one of the American Legion Vets. He was 85 years old and every bit of a bada$$. He wore his Purple Heart with pride and would only say that he was ONE of TWELVE men who returned from WWI out of 250 in his unit and that he was part of "D-Day +4" as he stated it...meaning he showed up 4 days later on the beach.

Wow! We owe a lot to people like him. I mean, I went to Saudi while I was in the AF, but I never felt like I was going to be killed and I came back with all the buds I went with!!!

Happy Veteran's Day.

farnhamstj
11-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks to all who have served and their families.

PabloCruise
11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Thank you to all service men and women for protecting our freedoms here and abroad.