PDA

View Full Version : 82 FJ40 Refresh

Pages : [1] 2 3

rover67
11-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Welp, I decided to go ahead and pull the head on the 40 today. I figured since it had a bent pushrod and a leaky manifold gasket (Found the issues during PM for the 40's only run) I might as well dig in and see what else is up.

Got a lazy start at around noon after a nice brunch with Allison anfter having been out of town for 8 days.

Didn't quite get the head off today since I got caught up in all sorts of other things on the truck I started cleaning. I'm gonna get the coolant pipes, brackets and misc. doodads replated, and am getting the air cleaner powdercoated black again.

Kinda taking my time and de rusting the parts in the tank as I go. It has been working really well. I'll post more pics of the results in the morning. Found a guy that does Cad plating in broomfield, Im gonna give him a buzz monday and take him a box of parts if it seems like a good deal.

Also planning on putting a big order in with Boulder Toyota on monday for all the random gaskets and bolts that are trashed.

Gunn will do the head.

One of the funny things I found was what looked like an old cardboard box piece being used as the thermostat housing gasket. I thought that was pretty funny. There have also been a ton of standard nuts forced onto the metric studs in places. Kinda frustrating but par for the course.

Pics:

1. engine bay before
2, 3.Air rail I got from Elliot. Welded on the last pipe. FIgured I'd fix his and get it recoated. Mine looks like it is going to come off in a billion pieces.
4. Power steering pump from a 60. gonna freshen it up since I am taking stuff to get plated. Might as well get a rebuild kit while I'm at Boulder toyota. It is low mileage and is super tight still.
5. Thermostat housing gasket. Nice. This one made me and Allison laugh a bit. Had Hylomar all over it too. reminded me of my British car days.

Archive Threads:

Rust Removal : http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=11093&highlight=electrolytic+rust+removal
Original Purchase: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10885

ElliottB
11-14-2009, 08:37 PM
That gasket is sweet!

Good to see something in my junk pile may actually be put to good use. It was about 5 mins from hitting the trash can.

Mendocino
11-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Marco,
Who is doing the plating in Broomfield?

rover67
11-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm gonna give these folks a buzz. Maybe it'll work out. Never used them or talked to them.

http://www.cadplating.com/

Caribou Sandstorm
11-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Hey Marco,

If you get stuck on anything, my buddy Barry from North Carolina just moved here. He rebuilt his 40 from the ground up, it has a Toyota Diesel he imported and installed.

Anyway he might be a good resource also. Not sure if you want a Toyota Diesel but he can get them.

Give me a shout if you want his info.

Jacket
11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
You do more with your rig in a day than I do in a month......

rover67
11-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Got it stripped down to the short block. Camera is dead and the charger is at work. I was surprised, but my air rail came off easily. I guess soaking it in Deep Creep and PB blaster overnight helped everything.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the head to gunn for a rebuild and a .050 shave, and the parts to the coaters.

The head gasket looked perfect, and the cylinders look really nice.

Matt, I decided I gotta knock it out, so I locked myself in the garage! It's fun now, but i'm sure the honeymoon will wear off soon.. don't worry.

corsair23
11-15-2009, 06:57 PM
You do more with your rig in a day than I do in a month......

x2...Although for me it would be a year, maybe 5 :o

FJ_Mark
11-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Is that a Natural light 12-pack gasket? I normally use a Milwaukee's best.

rover67
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Is that a Natural light 12-pack gasket? I normally use a Milwaukee's best.

Dude, I think it might be.. I honestly didn't really look at it that closely. :lmao: :beer:

PabloCruise
11-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Don't be knocking the Natty Light...

rover67
11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm gonna give these folks a buzz. Maybe it'll work out. Never used them or talked to them.

http://www.cadplating.com/

just got back from here. The guy is super nice and does lots of automotive stuff for restos across the country. I'll bring some cards to the next meeting. We'll see what the parts look like this weekend possibly next week. I gave him what totalled out to be 15 pounds worth of stuff.

rover67
11-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Everything is out getting worked on.

Now it's time to clean up what's left over.

Cylinders look nice.

Does anybody know if there is supposed to be a second sealing ring on the exhaust manifold cylinder 1 and 6 parts? Mine wasn't leaking before, but it looks like it should have another ring in there.... see the picture.

-marco

FJ_Mark
11-17-2009, 10:16 AM
It should have two.

rover67
11-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Picked up the majority of the parts tonight. Holy smokes, the cad plated parts look nice. Don't have my download cable (left it at work) so you guys will have to wait for pictures.

rover67
11-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Giggidy..

subzali
11-20-2009, 10:18 AM
you suck.

you doing a full resto on the body? You should so that all the pretty parts can match :D

Jacket
11-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow! Impressive.

You should have had those wheels cad plated.... ;)

rover67
11-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I think I kinda have to now. I may have backed myself into a corner.

rover67
11-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow! Impressive.

You should have had those wheels cad plated.... ;)

I am from memphis... it would have matched my "roots"

Jacket
11-20-2009, 10:45 AM
What are all the random pieces below your skid plate? Are those carb parts?

wesintl
11-20-2009, 10:46 AM
WOW, bling!

rover67
11-20-2009, 10:54 AM
What are all the random pieces below your skid plate? Are those carb parts?

carb linkage, emissions doodad clips, air injection parts, ect.

Hulk
11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow. Original wheels look super nice, and the cadmium-plated parts look better than new! You are going to have the sweetest 40 evah!

AxleIke
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey Marco, how were those guys on cost for the cad plating? Pretty reasonable?

rover67
11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Hey Marco, how were those guys on cost for the cad plating? Pretty reasonable?

It's a minimum of 80 bucks for less than 20#'s of parts plus any heavy cleaning they have to do. All of my stuff was $200 total, and I handed it to them really greasy. You could get it done cheaper if you handed them nice clean parts.

rover67
11-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow. Original wheels look super nice, and the cadmium-plated parts look better than new! You are going to have the sweetest 40 evah!

It's cool yes, but now I fell like I gotta keep it up on the rest of the rig. I am stoked about how it will turn out though. thanks everybody for the props :)

60wag
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I think some contrast on the 40 is needed. The motor will look like its fresh from Toyota but the rust holes in the body have got to stay. :)

rover67
11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
The seats look nice too....and have heat... except the headrests look dingy now...

FJ_Mark
11-20-2009, 04:21 PM
WOW the parts came out great.

LARGEONE
11-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey Marco...those parts look great!!!

I think you're gonna need to change the title of this thread so we can follow the full resto.

MDH33
11-21-2009, 08:55 AM
I've been out of town and missing all the progress. Great Job Marco!! :thumb::beer:

Did you get the powder coating done at the same shop that did the cad plating?

LXBRADY
11-21-2009, 09:14 AM
You are really pimpin that sucka out..........looks great :thumb:

rover67
11-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I've been out of town and missing all the progress. Great Job Marco!! :thumb::beer:

Did you get the powder coating done at the same shop that did the cad plating?

thanks Martin, thanks EVERYBODY!!

aero propeller did the cad plating www.aeropropeller.com or http://www.cadplating.com/ they also apparantly do powder coating, but I went with Powder Coating Specialties in Golden for the powder coating. They had a good price per wheel ($35) and they were close to Allisons work so it was easy.

rover67
11-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey Marco...those parts look great!!!

I think you're gonna need to change the title of this thread so we can follow the full resto.

Good point, I was wondering about that. I guess it might make sense to keep it all here instead of doing multiple threads. Can a moderator change the subjet to "82 FJ40 Refresh"?

Hulk
11-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Good point, I was wondering about that. I guess it might make sense to keep it all here instead of doing multiple threads. Can a moderator change the subjet to "82 FJ40 Refresh"?

Done. :thumb:

rover67
11-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Done. :thumb:

sweet, thanks man! Now I won't clutter the board with more threads about the same type of stuff..

rover67
01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
It's been a while, the holidays meant spending time with the 60 so I had to leave the 40 alone for a bit..

Today I started working on it again.

I scored a low mileage power steering pump on mud. Bought a seal kit from NAPA and after losing a spring or two finally got it all back together. Thanks Martin for the pump you gave me to steal parts from! Lots of people say not to rebuild them, but this was a low mileage one so I went for it. The front bushing was nearly new looking so it turned out nice. I'm excited about it.

I also got a stock power steering box from Justin (bruiser) in the club. It was leaking for him so he went the minitruck route. I was excited to get my hands on a stock one so I went for it. I took it apart today and it looked nice and relatively clean on the inside. The only thing that took me by surprise was all those little balls in there. I practiced putting them all back in and finally figured it out. with a little grease it works fine.

I did notice that the teflon ring was damaged a bit so I called our friends at Boulder Toyota to order the rebuild kit. We'll see what it has when it comes in.

In the mean time I got the head all back on and torqued, got the valve train back on and torqued, and stuck on the air rail. It's starting to look like something again.

It's slowly getting there...

Old40Dog
01-18-2010, 09:50 PM
The seats look nice too....and have heat... except the headrests look dingy now...

Marco, did you have these recovered? If so, who did them? Want to have Zach's Pig front seat redone and not sure where to go for reasonable cost but still get quality workmanship.

rover67
06-27-2010, 01:17 PM
welp, I got the whole motor put together finally and started trying to tune it. I finally realized that the intake/exhaust manifold gasket is leaking again. I think I overtightened it all and made the intake manifold flex out from the gasket surface where there are no bolts. Bummer.

I almost have it all the way apart again.

anybody used the remflex gaskets here? I am tempted to try one instead of the OEM one this time..

all that and the power steering pump started leaking like a sieve from the shaft. Got another one from NAPA and it doesn't really seem to pump, I have no power steering. maybe I messed up the steering gear box rebuild somewhere.

ick.

RicardoJM
06-27-2010, 01:24 PM
anybody used the remflex gaskets here? I am tempted to try one instead of the OEM one this time..

I used an OEM gasket, put it on dry and have exhaust leak. Yesterday, Air Randy had some 1/2 washer setups that we swapped on - it was an improvement but still an exhaust leak. Randy is thinking that a second gasket and some high-temp copper rtv would take care of it - but I'm going to give the REMFLEX a go. I just ordered one last night. I'll be putting it on as soon as it gets here. From everything I've read, they work great when installed properly.

rover67
06-30-2010, 07:19 PM
So that gasket fixed everything. runs like a dream :) it's the shiz

farnhamstj
06-30-2010, 07:58 PM
congrats

rover67
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah man, I'm stoked. It runs really really well.

J Kimmel
06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
have you jumped it yet? looks sweet :)

Hulk
07-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to hear it in person.

Corbet
07-01-2010, 11:04 AM
So that gasket fixed everything. runs like a dream :) it's the shiz

JT (trapper50cal) tried a pair of remflex gaskets on his 60 down here. They only worked for a while. I hope you have better long term luck. Sorry to drop a turn in the punch bowl:o

subzali
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
any updated pictures? how's the bodywork going?

rover67
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
tub is on the way from paul pilgrim, untill then it's on hold... I'm gonna drive it :)

MDH33
07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
tub is on the way from paul pilgrim,

Woah! :eek::D Bling bling. your 40 is going to be soooo nice. :grinpimp:

I would need to sell some stolen organs to afford one of those. :hill:

rover67
09-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Welp, the Remflex gasket is leaking. The thing runs like a turd now.

Project is kinda on hold for a bit. The Tub from Paul showed up with a little damage so i am working on getting some $$ from the shippers which is turning out out be a nightmare. I don't really want to keep moving on it till the tub is ready to throw on there. The tub was expensive but I figure I can get a few years out of this rig when it's done.

I did score a top and ambi doors for it which is sweet.

And, i just got the 2011 registration sticker in the mail last week.. one year since i got it about... I thought it'd be farther along by now, but oh well :)

LXBRADY
09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hear the set backs, hang in there. I look forward to seeing it when you have it all together the way you want it.

subzali
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
dude, you gotta post pictures...

rover67
09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
You know... honestly I though I had..

here are a few I just snapped :)

Hulk
09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow -- you bought a brand new steel tub?!

RicardoJM
09-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Welp, the Remflex gasket is leaking. The thing runs like a turd now.

Sorry to hear that:(. Reach out to IronGiant on MUD, you are within the "warranty" period. I put mine in about a week after you. We'll see how it holds up.

60wag
09-13-2010, 09:03 AM
I'd change the manifold gasket to a Fel-Pro. That Remflex thing did look awful thick and had no metal support in it. The goal is the thinnest gasket that will accomodate surface irregularities to make the seal.

rover67
09-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Fel-pro over OEM?

I was going to take the manifold assembly to a machine shop and have them plane it all bolted together too.

Yeah, the RemFlex gasket kinda split in between the layers. The truck makes a really cool whistling noise when it idles now.

rover67
09-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Wow -- you bought a brand new steel tub?!

Yeah man, I am pretty stoked. I think it's gonna be nice when it's painted.

wesintl
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
where did the new tub get damaged?

subzali
09-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Fel-pro over OEM?

I was going to take the manifold assembly to a machine shop and have them plane it all bolted together too.

Yeah, the RemFlex gasket kinda split in between the layers. The truck makes a really cool whistling noise when it idles now.

For the manifold gasket I'm not sure it matters as much as the head gasket. I went with a manifold gasket from SOR and have had no problems...:twocents:

rover67
09-13-2010, 12:23 PM
where did the new tub get damaged?

The front lower parts of the rear fender wells are kinda caved, the front where the kick panels weld to it are bent in, and they drug it around on it's sides and took off the galvanized coating in spots. It'll need to be straightened and refinished prior to paint, not huge I know... and would have needed it anyways no matter what.

The most frustrating one for me is where they drug it around and damaged the coating on it. I was really stoked to have nice galvanized metal to work with, but now the coating is compromised in some of the most visible areas. I was just looking to treat the welded areas for rust prevention prior to paint, but now will just do the tub as a whole. I know I'll have to do body work to fit it all and make it smooth and good looking anyways, but the tubs that didn't come out of the crates look virgin with no surface rust compared to this one. Maybe the shippers can pay to have it re-galvanized or something. I know I'm being picky.

Also, I got some more parts from Paul (Fender, apron, kick panels) and those are dented and scratched from being thrown around after having been removed from the crate. They showed up tied together with bailing wire literally sitting on the floor of the 18-wheeler.

All in all, it is not a lot of damage, it's just frustrating to know it could have been perfect in the crate like the others. If I can get the shippers to toss some $$ my way It'd be nice but I don't have my hopes up. I know that a lot of the work I'd be doing on it would be done anyways, and I have time to work with the shippers to see what I can get since priorities have moved around a little and I won't be getting to this until the winter time.

Paul has been great through this so far and is the one that actually got me motivated to file a claim... alone i probably would have never done it and just moved on. He can't afford to have tubs coming un-crated halfway through shipping.

wesintl
09-13-2010, 12:36 PM
that sucks. I know what you mean though. I got a 4 core rad from a toy dealer in calgary. They didn't repack it and it came in a sloppy box with a couple of dents in the tanks. After trying to deal with both fedex and the dealer I just gave up.

rover67
09-13-2010, 12:50 PM
that sucks. I know what you mean though. I got a 4 core rad from a toy dealer in calgary. They didn't repack it and it came in a sloppy box with a couple of dents in the tanks. After trying to deal with both fedex and the dealer I just gave up.

yeah, that's exactly it... we'll see. Not too bummed about it since I have some down time anyways.

Hulk
09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Paul who? Just curious where you ordered this. Was it a group buy or something?

rover67
09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Paul Pilgrim from Costa Rica. No group buy, just bought one straight from him

http://toyotona.com/

Hulk
09-13-2010, 01:25 PM
It's interesting that there suddenly seems to be so many options for new FJ40 sheet metal. For example (in addition to the one you purchased from):

Pacol Online (http://www.pacolonline.com/) (who was at Cruise Moab this year)

Heritage Sheet Metal, sold by Iron Pig Offroad (http://www.ironpigoffroad.com//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_25)

I wonder if all these vendors are getting the sheet metal from the same place?

gr8fulabe
09-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Paul has been great through this so far and is the one that actually got me motivated to file a claim... alone i probably would have never done it and just moved on. He can't afford to have tubs coming un-crated halfway through shipping.

Hey Marco,
We met on the road once, my wife & I pulled up next to you in my 65 galaxie & she asked if your Great Dane was named Marco (my fault for not being more specific)...

So anyway, I work in Intl. Supply Chain Management & my wife is a licensed Customs Broker. So what forwarder/broker did you use? If it is one that we have connections with, we might be able to help with the claim. Also, how were the frieght bills signed off? Were they all signed off, "clean" or did someone note the damage to the crate at some point? Lastly, how do you know the crates were damaged in-transit, rather than detsroyed by U.S. Customs? Did Paul, or his forwarder in Costa Rica provide an ISPM cert when they shipped? Was the wood stamped with the official ISPM (Intl. Standards for Phyto-Sanitary Measures) brands? If not, Customs might have removed/destroyed the crates themselves, & you/Paul or the forwarder might end up getting a bill for that.
Anyway, if I can help with insight or connections, don't hesitate to ask.
Best,
Abe

rover67
10-21-2010, 07:14 PM
finally got around to pulling the manifold off. Confirmed that the remflex gasket had basically split in half and started to leak a ton.

Got the manifold machined at Spitfire Automotive in Denver... the only place that I called that was willing to hit it with a belt sander. I called like 6 places including Gunn. I am really happy with how it turned out.

I think it's gonna do the trick.

Picked it up today.

rover67
10-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Ha! sorry that threw me for a loop!!! That was a sweet ride BTW....

Yeah this shipper thing is turning into a weird deal... I may contact you to see what you think...

Hey Marco,
We met on the road once, my wife & I pulled up next to you in my 65 galaxie & she asked if your Great Dane was named Marco (my fault for not being more specific)...

So anyway, I work in Intl. Supply Chain Management & my wife is a licensed Customs Broker. So what forwarder/broker did you use? If it is one that we have connections with, we might be able to help with the claim. Also, how were the frieght bills signed off? Were they all signed off, "clean" or did someone note the damage to the crate at some point? Lastly, how do you know the crates were damaged in-transit, rather than detsroyed by U.S. Customs? Did Paul, or his forwarder in Costa Rica provide an ISPM cert when they shipped? Was the wood stamped with the official ISPM (Intl. Standards for Phyto-Sanitary Measures) brands? If not, Customs might have removed/destroyed the crates themselves, & you/Paul or the forwarder might end up getting a bill for that.
Anyway, if I can help with insight or connections, don't hesitate to ask.
Best,
Abe

gr8fulabe
10-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey Marco,
The intake/exhaust manifolds look great! Do you think it is a flaw with the remflex gasket, or something to do with your manifolds? I thought the Remflex gaskets sounded really cool, but I ahve seen some others complain about this type of thing, so I am curious if they aren't all they are cracked up to be...
Let me know what I can do to help on your shipment/import. Even if I can't do anything else, I can at least help to give any insight or advise. Plus my wife Erica has deep connections in the industry, and knows more than I do, so that is a big help too!
Best,
Abe

rover67
11-01-2010, 07:30 PM
The right front hub was leaking goo so I figured it was time to do the front end.

She was treated to a full birfield disassembly, repack, new marlin inner seals, new rest of the seals, some bearings, calipers rebuilt by yours truly, new rotors, new lug bolts, new pads, and some new brake lines.

Also threw on some hubs I had lying around. I totally dig the fact that this is all FJ60 stuff. I get to use my extras on it.

Hulk
11-01-2010, 08:23 PM
That is super clean. When you're done, this thing should go in a museum.

Mendocino
11-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Lookin' good Marco!:thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I just re-read this thread, really nice work man!

Melinda walks up and looks over my shoulder as I am staring at your engine...

She laughs and walks away..she asked what I was doing and I said studying..one of these days...

nakman
11-01-2010, 09:29 PM
beautiful!! hey are you using stock shock towers? Are you missing a bolt/rivet on the ds?

subzali
11-02-2010, 07:50 AM
yep, you're missing a bolt for your inner fender support :p:

Looks good Marco! A lot of us 40 owners wish we could swap FJ60/minitruck front axle components with the stuff we have!

Now when you gonna drive it again!?

rover67
11-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I am going to drive it again! Trying to get it where I can work on the 60 for a little while. Yeah, it is nice to have all the same brakes and axle components, i really like the compatibility. And yes, there are several bolts missing on the fender supports and the rest of the body.. I haven't gotten there yet :) I stuck with the stock shock towers because I went with an OME suspension after all. I am keeping it low and slow :)

rover67
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Also forgot to mention that the manifold is back on. Worked really well so far with the stock gasket from Toyota and the machined surfaces. Idles really smooth and I am seeing about 17.5-18 inches of vacuum. The Idle mixture screw actually did something when we went to tune it this time :)

Trapper50cal
11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Nice Ride Marco! Impressive level of detail thusfar...

As Corbet mentioned, I did try Remflex twice on my 60 before shipping it off to it's new owner in North Carolina...

both times it failed. The material over the #3 - #4 flanges got pushed up and out. I think the problem is that they state VERY low ft.lb. torque specs...something like 20 ft./lbs and quite frankly an old nut or bolt can hang up well beyond 20 before it's even completely seated. The first install, I know I over-torqued them, the second time I didn't and both failed. It may just be that the specs they require allow the manifold to shimmy around a bit and tear the material, then allowing the manifold to "eject" it slowly upward. Not impressed.

What a shame that Paul's tub got dinged up during shipping...

rover67
11-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Nice Ride Marco! Impressive level of detail thusfar...

As Corbet mentioned, I did try Remflex twice on my 60 before shipping it off to it's new owner in North Carolina...

both times it failed. The material over the #3 - #4 flanges got pushed up and out. I think the problem is that they state VERY low ft.lb. specs...something like 20 ft./lbs and quite frankly an old nut or bolt can hang up well beyond 20 before it's even completely seated. The first install, I know I over-torqued them, the second time I didn't and both failed. It may just be that the specs they require allow the manifold to shimmy around a bit and tear the material, then allowing the manifold to "eject" it slowly upward. Not impressed.

Yep, mine did the same thing.... pushed up and out in about the same spot. It did make a cool whistling noise through the messed up gasket though. Getting the manifold machined seemed to be the trick, but it was hard to find anybody that wanted to machine it. Most folks shied away from it since it was half Al, half cast iron. They were saying that the cast iron manifold tore up their mills. Anyways, the guys at Spitfire Automotive who were recommended by Gunn belted it down.

http://www.spitfireracingengines.com/

Now I'm glad I didn't try the remflex gasket again..

Jacket
11-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Shiny!

I need to get some new lug studs myself. I've got a couple that are stripped since the last tire rotation.

rover67
06-13-2015, 12:42 AM
https://vimeo.com/130610451

simps80
06-13-2015, 06:51 AM
Hecks yesses!!
:thumb:

RicardoJM
06-13-2015, 07:03 AM
Nice :D

Rezarf
06-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Way to go Marco.

MDH33
06-13-2015, 06:46 PM
" It's Alive! ALLIIIVE! " - Frankenstein http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/i-xqqB46T/0/O/i-xqqB46T.gif

treerootCO
06-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Awesome!

rover67
11-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Well, after a long hiatus I've started back on the 40 again. Put gas in it and it started right up. It had been sitting since I drove it up to our new place and I took that last video. Allison was impressed (isn't it awesome when we impress our friend/spouses?!) that it was running and exclaimed "I thought that thing was just a fixture in the garage!!!"

I ended up spending the last week welding up some random odds and ends on the body that I had marked as need to do and did stuff like make the hood and doors fit right. It doesn't look like I did a lot when i look at it but it's getting closer. I have also spent time jsut remembering where I was at with everything.

The next steps are to touch up some body seams (where the new tub meets the cowl), take it apart, flip it and redo body mounts, and start the conversation with the blaster and painter. I plan to use the same painter and blast tech like Adam did on his 40.

I'm hoping to get it in paint sometime in the next few months.

I'm off travelling for the next 7 days for work so nothing much will happen for the next week but hey, at least it's going! Consider the post a public exclamation of project re-initiation!! Sometime after November of 2010 I started the tub swap and after getting most of it done I lost motivation (and started biking a lot more instead of working on the 40)

rover67
11-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Oh wow, just noticed there are no shots of the new tub on in this thread and it's lacking a ton of details.. I'll have to update with better pictures sometime.

The majority of the work on the tub has been welding up unused holes, adding nuts for stuff that didn't have any (like welding nuts for jump seats to the tub) and moving things like front seat mounts. Looks like it may have been built left hand drive and for a bench seat. Also took all the fuel filler metal work from the old tub and grafted it onto the new tub. I also have spent a lot of time straightening the tub where it was bent, it ended up being worse than i thought but as with any new replacement metal parts it'll always take some work. Not worried about it.

More stuff that actually happened over the last 6 years:

I got all the grey parts re powder coated. That included roll bar, rear seat frames, and some random other doodads. Finished the rear jump seats with new foam and re cad plated springs and screws.

I also got the front ash tray and grab bar re-chromed.

After trying to salvage the front bib and buying a new used one that also sucked I ended up buying a re-pop new one as well as a new front left fender. Found a new left apron also... that took months

I managed to score a new floor mat for the front. NOS from japan. that was sweet.

I got a new upper dash pad (still need lowers)

I also managed to score a new ash tray for the center console.. mines broken. That happened last year. Some may not think that's a major accomplishment but it was... Adam (With the other 82 40) was just offered a used one for $750. People are starting to take advantage of the desirability of these vehicles, it's frustrating to see that the market has changed from passionate owners willing to help people out to to a market that's in it for the money. Another interesting place this is happening is with emissions parts and other body parts.

Speaking of which, I need a new hood. I have noticed that I have the wrong one for my year.... cringing at what that will cost.

nakman
11-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Dang I am missing that ashtray. $750 huh? Glad to see you're getting back into this Marco.. these 82's need to play together.

simps80
11-12-2016, 12:40 AM
awesome!!
this was one of the threads that I read a lot .. think I found the spitfire place from here too...excited to see it revived!! (your 40 and by proxy this thread)

Crash
11-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Great to read of your 40 project progress, Marco! Will be watching for further developments and I'm glad to report that my 40 project has taken some big steps forward in the last week, too. Got the top and windshield frame off with all glass being removed. Closer to paint. While removing the windshield glass I heard a pop and looked over to see one of the rounded rear top windows had exploded under its own volition - I had removed it from the top panel about an hour earlier. Glass is weird but wonderful. Feels good to get off the snide with projects like this and getting 40s closer to being what they want to be is a good thing. Keep after it! :thumb:

akingf5371
11-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Glad you updated this thread, we might have more 82s than any other club! No smoking for my passengers until I track down a cheaper ash tray.

simps80
11-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Dang I am missing that ashtray. $750 huh? Glad to see you're getting back into this Marco.. these 82's need to play together.

Glad you updated this thread, we might have more 82s than any other club! No smoking for my passengers until I track down a cheaper ash tray.

is it this one?

https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/oem-ashtray-for-79-land-cruiser-fj40-nos

this racer65 guy sources a lot of stuff that's cool

rover67
11-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Naw its the one in the center console...

rover67
12-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Worked on getting the seams where the new body meets the cowl good enough for the body guy tonight. Actually took some work..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/d63c05c9c8e58d66b4caef89d655399d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/b86efd280b470a145c21f8617ae4e591.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/d9d6e31e82bdf6f9f75cffa19b670be7.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/a491bb722007a433eb27a241ef3e5ce3.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/aff0f9f26196d7e83fd682f922d91c5f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/35ea18e37357c229f321892488eda375.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/51140a37ebba85fa96c26863ee49316e.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/30a88658fe94cd02f96926965b78fc83.jpg

Also the rear round parts are done. The tub cam with square corners in the rear like the earlier trucks.

rover67
12-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Getting close to taking it apart to do the front body mounts. I think it'll be better to do them with the body off the frame.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/4f33818d9bc344eacc1413e06ac06845.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/1cd3d105553397b931583583b31680b3.jpg

rover67
12-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Old fuel filler cover grafted on:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/a3f0a46eb2c239d0127c8607b240a603.jpg

rover67
12-14-2016, 08:21 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/9df96145bab37921174765f95b36fb11.jpg

rover67
12-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Also gotta figure out why my doors seem to low in the openings:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/678e3d51b55eebec1c419fbe8b2eaec3.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/c256604ef6113d614f0a074ee43f2a79.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/04c23d09488170a0c407badb4ba77601.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/4e8bd4d380154141811f596326079566.jpg

The gaps are kinda even all around except at the bottom where it gets smaller

rover67
12-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Other side is similar:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161215/542f5486aa0fa8cef4372ebe1629cefb.jpg

MDH33
12-14-2016, 08:42 PM
If I recall, aren't the hinges that bolt to the tub on floating -captive nuts that allow for a little up and down adjustment? I seem to remember that when I switched mine to the OEM soft doors.

Looking good!

rover67
12-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Alright, I'm gonna tackle the hinges tonight. I moved the doors up a bunch on the hinges themselves, so if I get a little bit out of where they bolt to the firewall maybe I can get it right. I also just noticed in the picture they aren't square with the body seam.

aprosise
12-15-2016, 09:03 AM
In the last photo, it looks like you are already out of travel on the door side... Hopefully there is enough room on the tub side.

rover67
12-15-2016, 09:08 AM
Yeah that's what I'm hoping too. I got some measurements from Adam Farmer to check to make sure I welded the bottom of the door sil/tub on right also.

SteveH
12-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Unless the pix is misleading, it looks like your door hinges would greatly benefit from a round of new door bushings, which will (slightly) help square up the door in the opening.

CCoT or $pecter has them. Order 4 spare bushings and replace you hood hinge bushings, if needed, too.

rover67
12-15-2016, 10:17 AM
I was postponing that with the assumption that I could get it close but you're right, should just do it now. Just ordered some!

White Stripe
12-15-2016, 08:28 PM
There is a guy on mud that makes brass bushings fyi.

rover67
12-15-2016, 10:13 PM
No pics of the aligned door but taking the hinges loose from the body and redoing them did it! I feel confident everything's gonna line up now so I started tearing it down. I got into the wiring on the drivers side and noted some PO wizardry that will need to be addressed. I also tore down the drivers door. Look like new latches and locks might be a good idea... time to search for that.

The pictures aren't amazing but I'm posting to help myself stay motivated.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/13ebde4052d70eb6fe79449c22a6ac0b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/1baa161fb0644d140afaabe503f816f1.jpg

rover67
12-15-2016, 10:55 PM
There is a guy on mud that makes brass bushings fyi.

Sweet!!!! I'll check him out!

simps80
12-15-2016, 11:55 PM
rad!

keep that ship coming Marco!!
it is looking good!

rover67
12-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Any magic tricks for getting the little clips on the dash off without destroying it?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161217/cac3b12052278b31c430cff55c8beecd.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161217/b9797ad167d7f6c2e909e8a94f4c12f6.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161217/47ceb28eac71d02656e1c26d45c62320.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161217/06a5e9995455c53faef6773e53c2f1b4.jpg

Also are these holes for aftermarket ac?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161217/44a564ea73b74fd349b83824eebb75f8.jpg

rover67
12-17-2016, 02:21 PM
Gotta fix the hacked radio hole...

rover67
12-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Figured it out, windshield frame has to fold down!

Today I took the door apart on the right side and took the harness out of the right side... also some emissions stuff. I'm gonna need some of the little wire ties that hole the wires to the body... I hope i can still find those.

60wag
12-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Lookin good. Is the tub coming off the frame for paint or staying put?

rover67
12-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Comin' off. I need to do the front body mounts which will involve taking it off so might as well. Plus it needs to be painted all underneath also.

As a side not it looks like the wire ties/clips for the harness are still available so that's cool.

nakman
12-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Looking good Marco, stay after it! Just one big puzzle... let me know if you want the box lid.

Rezarf
12-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Looking good Marco, yeah once you dial in the hinges on the door frames and cowl the rest comes together easily. Looking good, you'll want bronze bushings too not brass. Brass is too sticky, bronze is the slick stuff. Kurt sells a set of nylon ones that were really good but the on/off/on/off of the seasons killed mine pretty quick. Once you go bronze you'll be all set. I am going to try a set of the bushings on my hood hinges as my old ones are toast causing a rattle and fitment issues.

Uncle Ben
12-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Looking good Marco, yeah once you dial in the hinges on the door frames and cowl the rest comes together easily. Looking good, you'll want bronze bushings too not brass. Brass is too sticky, bronze is the slick stuff. Kurt sells a set of nylon ones that were really good but the on/off/on/off of the seasons killed mine pretty quick. Once you go bronze you'll be all set. I am going to try a set of the bushings on my hood hinges as my old ones are toast causing a rattle and fitment issues.

I use drilled out 38 special brass and it works perfectly!

simps80
12-19-2016, 08:18 PM
I use drilled out 38 special brass and it works perfectly!

helps doors to not hold so loosely

vJtf7R_oVaw

Crash
12-19-2016, 08:21 PM
helps doors to not hold so loosely

vJtf7R_oVaw

Hot band. Truly personified the term "Wild Eyed Southern Boys".

rover67
12-20-2016, 01:36 PM
That was a great song, and excellent reference!

Got a little further last night. I'm welding all the little holes that po's have put in it. Harness is out. Coolant drained. Need to weld up the holes for the AC in the firewall tonight and start on top and glass removal. Fuse box needs some attention but it's not too bad.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/86309859490d234a0f835d3cb79035f0.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/f9b88d1c9ffb7ca0227fdfad7f8d56ac.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/5c848e9b2dda82949355f73c6bf067a4.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/6da7686a2fb533dfe50c903322026727.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/0e81bc2ed59b41115ed152fc6b5f433f.jpg

Crash
12-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Glass pulling - best done on a warm day. Pulled my 40's windows on a 70+ degree day back in late October. I'd already pulled the top's windows and was working on the windshield glass when I hear a big 'POP'. Looked over at the glass already pulled and saw one of the curved top pieces that had been in a single piece now in about 2000 pieces all over the garage floor. It had come out smoothly and easily but somehow a half hour later it shattered all by itself. Glass is cool stuff!
Keep up the good work, Marco. Your pictures are inspirational and show that the effort to keep the old iron on the road/trail is worth it.
:cheers:

rover67
12-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Maybe I need to leave the heater on in the garage for a day or so and get it nice and warm. Great idea!

akingf5371
12-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Looks great Marco! I'm getting flashbacks! Don't show me up too much!

cbmontgo
12-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Looking great, Marco.

Lastresort576
12-20-2016, 11:18 PM
This is awesome. One hopefully I'll be able to buy and tear into a 40 myself.

rover67
01-10-2017, 06:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170111/9b7ef5ba3de6cc4a85bf88cbd3e9269d.jpg

I keep finding holes to weld as I take it apart!!! lots of random welding.

I got the rear door dissembled and glass out. had to cut the gaskets. Ya'll think I can still find OEM after i am ready to take them apart? I was almost ready to buy all the OEM ones today then remembered i may have them in my parts pile. Issues.

Also, striking out on a good and top. Mike says I need a period correct hood so I'm on the hunt! Classic cruisers doesn't have one but they were super cool to talk to on the phone today. They also didn't have a top so I could in sunroof mine.

Maybe I should attempt to fill the hole? Anybody tried that?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170111/d48894cee2e022553ad1b888d12d088a.jpg

Almost ready to take the rest of the glass out and finish disassembly. I keep throwing things in the pile to take to the CAD playing shop. Scared to see the bill after that's done. it'll be nice to have everything replated though.

rover67
01-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Whoa sideways... sorry folks!So yeah anybody got a late model hood and top laying around?! :)

White Stripe
01-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Whoa sideways... sorry folks!So yeah anybody got a late model hood and top laying around?! :)

Their is a boat shop somewhere around Denver known for great fiberglass repair. Likely they could fix that. I don't remember what it's called, but 10 minutes on Google should bring it up.

kurtnkegger
01-11-2017, 08:38 AM
My Wife met a client at her veterinary hospital, who owns Applewood Auto Body, his name is Don Knox...anyway he used to be a Corvette body guy, and said he would be glad to talk fiberglass tops with us.

rover67
01-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Awesome, thanks for the leads you guys. I put a request out on mud and will also see where that goes.

aprosise
01-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Last time I was at Classic Cruisers, Brandon literally had a 6 foot tall stacked pile of fiberglass roofs. Right next to his 6 foot pile of intakes and 6 foot tall stack of bezels :lmao: Probably early model, but you could probably snag one up that is damaged and cut a sunroof sized patch out of one and fiberglass it in. Fiberglass is pretty easy stuff to work with.

rover67
01-11-2017, 12:35 PM
I talked to him, he said he didn't have anything for me with respect to either the hood or top. He did say he had a top, but it was complete and he didnt want to split it.

Your idea of getting one to sacrifice a patch out of we didn't discuss tho, i'll drop him a line and ask about it, great idea.

rover67
01-14-2017, 05:41 PM
I'm striking out on a hood I may have to just make mine work by updating it. Also I think I'll patch the hole in the top.
I need to scramble to finish this thing before the world runs out of reasonably priced 40 parts lol.

Anyhow, I made some progress today after having been out of town for a week. I got the glass out and the top torn down. Also started un-effing the radio hole that had been hacked by a PO. I also keep finding holes drilled for various crap like wires and brackets from PO work that I'm welding up. I think I found 8 new ones today.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/e8c156192db760ce30a38a24b1912045.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/b2db0088f242769871bda14ea0c31ad9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/36963b778cf16031083366d3b9f01a18.jpg

nuclearlemon
01-14-2017, 06:15 PM
hoods must be hard to find...icon is advertising that they're buying any available

rover67
01-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Radio hole:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/054b3a6e1f95c2d02ad081a9019aec6e.jpg

rover67
01-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Old aftermarket AC holes:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/17dea1f3950cda620c106ba7f7ea5cdf.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/fe9b2b9e0dad4ed8c788874c16939232.jpg

rover67
01-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Body comes off to do the front mounts:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/a327f5534c6bbd32d59727a2e118b0d1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/b758148759ce884dca2d924f7bb9769c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/8b75584183f54888944255449f41f774.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/516e551b4be6e6201d6b62b234377c99.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/8f75528c6393bc82b1c1545582b659a1.jpg

rover67
01-16-2017, 04:35 PM
I need to remember that the gas tank, heat shields, and vent lines go on before putting the painted body on:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/fd7d7323a8d946e07136e35d62be15f1.jpg

rover67
01-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Exhaust and heat shields as well as wiring also:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/37b7ff7546d8e519e7d16894d3ec8fbb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/9419ac98b6ae3032f7407960b882150c.jpg

rover67
01-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Got all the exhaust pulled, all the little brackets, brake lines, and doodads. I found a pinched rear brake line that looked near failure. I Just have motor and axles for the frame to be ready for powder. More and more parts in the pile for the platers dang it's gonna hurt but I think it'll be a nice touch.

aprosise
01-17-2017, 06:35 AM
Looking great Marco. Wish I had the space to tackle my 40 projects but I may have to pass it on.

akingf5371
01-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Looking great! I think using a tractor is cheating, you have to call your friends over like I did and pay them in beer!

OilHammer
01-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Body comes off to do the front mounts:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/8f75528c6393bc82b1c1545582b659a1.jpg

NICE!!!!
That's the point where I wind up pausing for a beer and then realizing, "OMG, what have I just done?!" Lol. Man, you are FLYING on this now.

rover67
01-17-2017, 10:25 PM
I think I reached that pint tonight... motor out and clutch out.

It had a horrendous rear main seal leak as well as a leaky oil pan gasket. Those had to be addressed. Have a new clutch to go in just need to call cruiser outfitters for associated gaskets and seals. I'm wondering if I need to take apart the tranny and t case to re seal them... both seemed leak free and in stellar working order... hmmm.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170118/dd7357f66ed1abdfdd635e6ec208bf5e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170118/1aff3aa1b2240f9d03c6250efa594e35.jpg

wesintl
01-18-2017, 02:27 PM
whats wrong with ye hood?

simps80
01-18-2017, 08:47 PM
thread is full of awesome, so cool Marco!

rover67
01-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Frame is naked and motor on stand. I ordered a bunch on stuff from our friend at Cruiser Outfitters to get the tranny and clutch done as well as the oil pan gasket and rear main.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170119/c66e349d492a2f031f726accf7194c19.jpg

simps80
01-18-2017, 10:23 PM

Lastresort576
01-19-2017, 12:42 AM
great updates!

rover67
01-19-2017, 08:21 AM
whats wrong with ye hood?

It's from a slightly older model, so it's missing the stainless pads where the rubber from the bib meets it, and it also looks like the bolt holes for the windshield brackets are slightly forward of there they need to be.

I think i'm gonna modify my hood to make it work since I measured everything and it looks like Toyota used the same base hood piece with holes moved and those plates added.

rover67
01-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Body mounts were either paper thin or rusted out on the frame. That's now fixed!! Frame is ready for blasting and powder!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/41dd2aaeae468ba4861071a269a99c2c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/ca4f9b8f8765f65ec109211c7031da24.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/ec199c77aa131fe6515f3d5297ea9c6e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/716fbe5d217d17570e9a2225cff32e15.jpg

rover67
01-20-2017, 08:53 AM
Dropped the flywheel off at NAPA today. I made it a point to emphasize that it needed a 0.020" step. Fingers crossed! I have a fresh Aisin Clutch kit ready to go in and the rest of the stuff should be here today to get the pan and rear main R&R'd.

Next up, finish front mounts on body and modify hood.

MDH33
01-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Really enjoying watching your progress Marco! Keep it up.

rover67
01-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Cool, I hope the posting frequency is not excessive. I got tapatalk and its easy to do some stuff and throw up a photo with my phone while i'm in the garage.

OilHammer
01-20-2017, 10:42 AM
It's motivational. :) Not excessive

subzali
01-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Post all you want! Love the updates!

Crash
01-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Post all you want! Love the updates!

Egss Ackley!

White Stripe
01-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Body mounts were either paper thin or rusted out on the frame. That's now fixed!! Frame is ready for blasting and powder!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/41dd2aaeae468ba4861071a269a99c2c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/ca4f9b8f8765f65ec109211c7031da24.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/ec199c77aa131fe6515f3d5297ea9c6e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/716fbe5d217d17570e9a2225cff32e15.jpg

Have u looked into galvanizing the frame?

rover67
01-20-2017, 06:54 PM
There's a place in Denver that I think does galvanizing. I discovered it during extensive googling. I was planning to call them up actually just to double check. I worry about getting the galvanize into the threaded holes and warping of the frame itself mainly. I had a Rover that I had parts re done on and it was kind of a nightmare to tap the threads out but maybe it's an option here. I'm gonna check.

Do you have any experience and/or suggestions? Any is welcome as I am trying to "do it right" for sure.

White Stripe
01-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Quite a few 40 guys have galvanized their frames. U may have to chase out some holes afterwards, but I can't see that taking long. I have never heard of galvanizing warping a frame. Only thin sheet metal.

rover67
01-23-2017, 11:10 PM
Started work on the drivers side floorboard and frame mount. Went better than I thought it would.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/822f7d9c1415575dd018bffc24f0d296.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/6cc2cc61d9e3715aa16ce03ff44f8949.jpg

rover67
01-23-2017, 11:12 PM
Front axle was a gimmie I rebuilt that right before I quit driving it so all it took was some pressure washing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/206275dc250642d13886dd662bdaf590.jpg

rover67
01-23-2017, 11:15 PM
Some clutch parts from Kurt. New Aisin master and slave. Didn't have issues before but figured I might as well hedge my bets since I'm doing the rest of the stuff. Flywheel machined with the appropriate 0.020" step. New Aisin friction disk, pilot and throw out bearings. I installed the pilot bearing before putting the motor on the stand.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/e6773267e34705b14a0914410fbe31cb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/1e53381b8a392538ac3be4e777a8fc3a.jpg

SteveH
01-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Great looking floorpan and welding work!

nakman
01-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Looking good Marco, keep after it! And holler if you need a hand- can't wait for the '82 40 run!

rover67
01-25-2017, 09:30 AM
I got the drivers side mount finally done last night, I dissassembled the windshield, welded up holes and cracks in my hood, and loaded the body parts in the 4Runner. Drew stopped by this morning before we went to work to help me flip the body so I could do the passenger side body mount and floor board and to help put the frame in my trailer. I had bugged Mike about using his bigger trailer but it looks like it's gonna fit in my small trailer.

I called Blast Tech today and left a message to warn them I'm coming Friday, I called them earlier in the month and talked to them they seemed super cool. I'll try back later. Feeling a bit nervous I won't get the last body mount done but I guess I do have two nights and now that is really all that's left.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170125/b93749c029a212d2f9b27eefbc07d064.jpg

Rezarf
01-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Looks great Marco, and this is hardly a "refresh" at this point.

According to craigslist, "frame off restoration" means new shocks.

akingf5371
01-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Looking good Marco, keep after it! And holler if you need a hand- can't wait for the '82 40 run!

I like this idea!

rover67
01-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Honestly I think rising sun has like 10% of all the 1982 FJ40's ever made.

Nak, Ken, Adam, Me, anybody else?

Ok maybe more like 1%

We should do a group photo when this one's done. Maybe Cruise Moab.

rover67
01-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Drill guide to relocate the hood brackets and hold down for the windshield. I made it frame measurements from Adams '82 hood and double checking with my brackets. This and the stainless pads which I'll add later I discovered were the only differences in my hood and the late ones so boom later model hood sourced! Thank Toyota for using the same stuff for years!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/eda4c67fa123752153aacdc30da1854c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/0bc037496f966a5baf530bcd23e08538.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/e62dbfc8818a0da76f65a48ada6a09af.jpg

rover67
01-25-2017, 11:21 PM
Phew. Passenger side body mount done. Dare I say body work complete?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/eec920602b106c6d3f7f23ca1262b861.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/d520b05c71ddbfb0949de91c07a3cf08.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/e180d094b7a4f7cd6e03eb9e74ea1ac2.jpg

akingf5371
01-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Amazing work!

subzali
01-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Likey likey.

rover67
01-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Normal work has been involving lots of time in various MRI rooms with magnets up to 3 tesla so I've been more vigilant about proper eye protection lately. I've been digging Al's old dirt bike goggles for this type of work they are muuuch better than regular safety glasses for keeping fine metal particulate out of my eyes.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/c39683754ee3235f2c83284cd7eb9fbe.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/ce24b97022d198b6d6e35eac79c64a8b.jpg

Crash
01-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Looking good Marco. Really good thought on using old dirt bike riding goggles for keeping out the fine crap. I'll have to search my old gear bag, the one with the 1st gen Scott plastic riding boots, first gen Bell Moto helmet and a bunch of other late 70's and early 80's enduro stuff to find my Scott goggles with the bullet proof lens. Probably haven't been through it in 20 years. Scott used to have a display at all the Rocky Mtn. Enduro Circuit events where they would shoot a 22 cal. rifle directly at the lens and the bullet wouldn't penetrate it. The lens would scratch super easily but wouldn't break so they would be good for grinding purposes where a shield is a little unwieldy and/or you needed to keep metal shavings and dust out.
My 40 isn't an '82 but it does have the '83 tub. Would that count to make your photo of '82?

rover67
01-26-2017, 02:17 PM
My 40 isn't an '82 but it does have the '83 tub. Would that count to make your photo of '82?

absofreakinlutely!

https://youtu.be/dOV5WXISM24

Rezarf
01-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Go Marco Go! Lovin' the progress!

DanS
01-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Very nice looking Marco!

Really good thought on using old dirt bike riding goggles for keeping out the fine crap.

Safety goggles, with straps are the only way to go.

Get good ones (roughly $25) and you will put them on and never take them off in the shop. They last me a half year or so each.

I kind of think I might have to buy a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Wade-German-Made-Safety-Goggles/dp/B01IC9ROLS/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1485496421&sr=8-34&keywords=safety+goggles

But here's the type of things I'm talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-Safety-Glasses-Black-Anti-Fog/dp/B000URGFQG/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1485496852&sr=8-37&keywords=safety+goggles
https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-Highlander-Safety-Eyewear-Anti-Fog/dp/B001AEEKHO/ref=pd_sim_200_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MX591TN59TG7EF6VHJW5
https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-Safety-Goggles-Temples-Anti-Fog/dp/B002RM49ME/ref=pd_sim_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MX591TN59TG7EF6VHJW5
https://www.amazon.com/Crossfire-91351AF-Element-Goggles-Anti-fog/dp/B005C87878/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&qid=1485497002&sr=8-61&keywords=safety+goggles
https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S0620X-Metallic-Anti-Fog-Headband/dp/B003OBZ552/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&qid=1485497002&sr=8-64&keywords=safety+goggles

The good ones never fog on you, and aren't even a little uncomfortable. The only problem I have with them is that I can't find a set that works well while wearing my glasses--only my contacts. It's actually one of the biggest reasons I wear contacts so often, because it lets me wear the goggles in the shop, and when they are that comfy I am never tempted to do anything without them.

Dan

rover67
01-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Whoa yeah I never knew those existed!!!!!! I'm getting some!

One of my worst eye injuries was a metal chip bouncing off my cheek and embedding itself in my eye (then rusting and causing all sorts of issues). I had safety glasses on but it snuck under them.

DanS
01-27-2017, 09:01 AM

One of my worst eye injuries was a metal chip bouncing off my cheek and embedding itself in my eye (then rusting and causing all sorts of issues). I had safety glasses on but it snuck under them.

Good comfy shop goggles change the world in the shop. The biggest annoyance I have with them is that I forget that I'm wearing them, and then when I go to take a lunch break or something I look silly trying to put my sunglasses on over them.

Dan

Crash
01-27-2017, 09:16 AM

Those shop googles do look like they mean business, Dan and they also look so cool that I fully expect to see Marco - or you - on the trail wearing them. :thumb:

OilHammer
01-27-2017, 09:29 AM

Me too! Mine wasn't a metal chip but a piece of mortar. Bounced, stuck, scratched the eye, infection started, and doc said I nearly lost it. Was a wake up call for sure.

Are you using a MIG or TIG on the sheet metal work. I knew you were good at welding, but dang, clean sheet welding, you are a master!

treerootCO
01-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Keep the pics coming. Your thread brings a smile to my face every time I read it.

rover67
01-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Trip to the blaster this morning!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/ec94a4217e4b064ff99850c5f259fec4.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/06178d37083da7ee905145fbacddaa5b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/d9f0d84cdb5fb1d2d303015d4a7348a3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/3163409acd63e119359994ef251b4957.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/dca39b01c7805d5a4a62091dde3f2394.jpg

rover67
01-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Me too! Mine wasn't a metal chip but a piece of mortar. Bounced, stuck, scratched the eye, infection started, and doc said I nearly lost it. Was a wake up call for sure.

Are you using a MIG or TIG on the sheet metal work. I knew you were good at welding, but dang, clean sheet welding, you are a master!

Mig for it all! Probably doesn't look that great in person, but it's not too bad! Thanks!

nuclearlemon
01-27-2017, 11:34 AM

btdt....it's creepy watching him come at you with that exacto knife to carve the rust out:eek:

rover67
01-27-2017, 01:37 PM
btdt....it's creepy watching him come at you with that exacto knife to carve the rust out:eek:

yeah exactly!!!! Weirdness.

treerootCO
01-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Scanned in the 1982 Land Cruiser brochure for your thread

treerootCO
01-31-2017, 06:25 PM
1982 French brochure:

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FURTHER IN ALL TERRAIN Chassis court tolé is the starting point of a long line of 4x4 Solid vehicles, reliable, efficient in all circumstances. The land cruiser passes through a steep slope, steep slopes, trenches into mounds, its chassis with riveted ladders, its rims reinforced, its mechanical organs firmly protected by a tower All this makes the Land Cruiser an invincible tool that stands the test of time. The performance of the 3.4-liter diesel engine allows all exits in the forest, in the mountains or on the sand. In case of difficult passage, the gearbox coupled to the transfer with gearbox offers eight forward and two reverse speeds. And the Land Cruiser is not exclusively a 4 x 4 vehicle: you can always drive in two-wheel drive and even release the front wheels of any transmission. This is the system of freewheel hubs, standard on all Land Cruisers exists in regular gasoline version (cylinder capacity 4.21).

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN THE NATURE Medium-sized chassis: 36 cm longer in length compared to the short chassis of which 14,5cenemassage, a removable cover in particularly robust coated fabric, this Land Cruiser offers more space for a reasonable size . Adapted to all-terrain, comfortable on the road. The medium chassis is the ideal tool on the farm, on construction sites, in the mountains and for all utilitarian functions. The two rear doors open wide for ease of access and loading. An area of ​​2.3 m2 is then available for transporting straw bales, plow sowing motors or cinder blocks. The remarkable flexibility of the 4-cylinder diesel engine 21.6mND to 2200RPM DIN and the quality of the suspension allow long stages without fatigue. Because the Land Cruiser can both drive at 115 km / h and climb thanks to the speed reducer a slope of 45 °. In addition, the free-wheeling system at the front allows quiet and economical driving. Further on the road, further in charge, further into the nature ... Here is the Land Cruiser

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN THE ESCAPE Towing a boat or towing a caravan requires power and stability. The Land Cruiser medium chassis has both. The 66 kW at 3500 RPM DIN are always available, and the longer wheelbase better distributes the effort on the axles. With or without trailer On the Land Cruiser everything is planned to go far and take full advantage: 2.70 m3 at the bottom contain your luggage and your equipment (skiing, diving, Sailing, fishing ...). On the Land Cruiser, pleasure is always there. Vigor of the lines and panoramic height, a monument of serenity. A ray of sunshine makes you take off? Remove the vinyl cover and breathe in full lungs. If it is really beautiful, remove everything: the tarpaulin and the doors, lower the windscreen. You get a fantastic four-wheel drive convertible. Dominate the ocean and land on the beach: your Land Cruiser has not forgotten to be anti-comosion. Fly to the heights: never a car will have taken you so close to the peaks In Land Cruiser, live the unforgettable and forget the constraints. The adventure is at the end of the road.

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FURTHER IN THE SERVICES Chassis long plate: thanks to its four-wheel drive, it is the ideal vehicle for the links to the most inaccessible shipyards. The interior space is not counted. At the rear, the available space is 340 m2 for a cargo volume of 4.18 m3. Access is facilitated by the two half-hinged doors opening wide and the threshold lowered to the maximum. The LandCruiser is also a truck capable of accepting heavy (more than one ton!) Or bulky loads of 2 meters in length!) In addition, it is capable of towing three Tons, with trailer braked. These are qualities that will serve many professionals practicing their trade in difficult terrain conditions

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: MORE AWAY IN THE SPACE Who did not dream of being able to leave in the early morning, with friends, for a hunting party in the countryside? The Land Cruiser long chassis allows all the escapades, in all seasons. Muddy paths, forest trails or steep slopes are no longer inaccessible. To defeat all obstacles, the Land Cruiser has a valuable asset: its powerful and enduring 4-cylinder diesel. Against the bite of the cold, it has a spacious and perfectly sealed cockpit. Heating with two-speed ventilation ensures a gentle heat even when the thermometer is below zero! But the Land Cruiser also loves summer. By opening the rear quarter windows, you create a delicious fresh air change. On the trail of the big fauves of Africa, as for a fishing party on Sundays. For the handball team as for the group of mountaineers. In a long chassis, the TOYOTA 4 x 4 discovers a new dimension in the off-road space.

treerootCO
01-31-2017, 06:25 PM
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN EFFORT Pick-up: in English, remove take-off The pla- broad surrounded by side panels (foldable bitter) and accepts more than a ton of load. Reinforced by a steel cabin protector, the cockpit is particularly heavenly and well equipped. The Pick-up, powerfully pitched on its 4-wheel drive ... with rims reinforced will never disavow its driver whatever the paths borrowed. Is equipped with 4 cylinder diesel 3, 4l (66kw at 3500 rpm DIN.) The very low torque is an incomparable ally in the delicate passages (21.6 daN at 2200 rpm DIN). This is why the Land Cruiser Pick-Up is intended for all those who have to carry heavy and cumbersome materials through muddy roads or access to rutted work sites. This 4 x 4 utility does not resemble a sedan converted into a van and bending under load. Everything about the Land Cruiser is sturdy. " True beast of burden, the Pick-up, by its specific qualities, will effectively supplement the fleet of vehicles of a company, whatever its size. It will be more reliable, therefore more economical, for the craftsman who asks his van to spare his efforts. "Exists in regular gasoline version (cylinder capacity 4,210

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN THE EQUIPMENT Interior of the Land Cruiser, first impression. It's well done, it's perfect! Easy-to-read dials. Well-designed seats, adjustable in depth and tilt. Controls that naturally fall under the fingers, A generous glass surface. A very successful harmony between the colors and the materials, in short an unusual feeling of welcome for a 4 x 4 The detailed inspection of the Toyota Land Cruiser reveals a high level and high precision equipment. To withstand the cold, the Land Cruiser is equipped with a powerful heating. To prevent dust from entering the passenger compartment, a two-speed fan creates a slight pressure. The Land Cruiser is welcoming, each one has a great place for the legs and the shoulders. A glove box, a ceiling light, a cigarette lighter, are at your disposal. A Land Cruiser behaves on the finger and on the eye. Flexible direct steering and all necessary control lights: ammeter, oil pressure, parking brake, main beam, water temperature The Land Cruiser is a working tool made to last. That's why the Land Cruiser's interior uses resistant materials that are easy to maintain. Outside as inside, the Land Cruiser goes further. "Power-assisted steering as standard on petrol engine version

The vehicles delivered in France are equipped as standard, with head restraints and seat belts. Radio is optional.

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN THE ADAPTATIONS The Toyota Land Cruiser is the 4 x 4 to the thousand faces. You know that it offers three claddings, three bodies, two different engines. It is a starting point. Because you will be able to adjust your Land Cruiser according to your professional or leisure needs. For this, TOYOTA offers you a series of particularly functional adaptations. You can, for example, on medium and long chassis mount a winch, which in mechanical version offers you a pulling force of 2 tons, delivered with 50 meters of cable, hook and chain. But the Land Cruiser can go further, on the basis of the long chassis, it can become a vehicle for light forest fires, homologated civil protection (capacity 600 liters, flow 30 m3 / hour), snowplow with ben- Electro-hydraulic, or tool-holding vehicle with hydraulically operated telescopic boom, motorhome minibus, first-aid vehicle, tow truck, livestock trailer ... But maybe you have another use to offer? Identify your needs according to your activities and talk to your TOYOTA dealer, it will certainly make you discover the face of the Land Cruiser made for you.

RECOVERABLE of more than 17CV leasing rents invoiced with VAT Like all commercial vehicles, the Toyota Land Cruiser rental rates and are aimed particularly at merchants, craftsmen and 1760% of companies looking for a transport tool ELECTRONICS series Of a practical and reliable, without giving up the pleasure of a The TOYOTALand Cruiser Diesel are equipped in attractive car and high performance. In addition, the Land Cruiser: electronic box that fulfills two important roles are not subject to the annual vehicle tax efficiency gives an overhead to the injection pump, thus facilitating company demolitions in all circumstances; Profit from the VAT to 17.60% recoverable safety immediately amd the engine in case of not subject to the super-vignette hitting the oil depression cars.

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: A COMPLETE RANGE

rover67
02-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Whoa this is sweet Mike! It actually answers a few questions at a critical time. Looks like a few items are a different color than I thought.

We took a week off for a vacation so no work on the 40 until tonight. I started cleaning parts to get them ready to go to Areo Propeller.

Looks like a few items will need to go to the blaster/powdercoaters for black instead of pewter/CAD plating like I originally thought. Perfect timing!

The frame and various frame black parts went to the powdercoaters last week on thursday so it should be done this thursday according to the dude at Blast Tech.

rover67
02-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Looks like the brackets for the windshield on the hood are body color, license plate brackets are black, and front bib hinge is body color. Hold downs are pewter, license plate lights are pewter, and the tire carrier is all body color including bolts and spring.

rover67
02-06-2017, 08:47 PM
It also looks like the wheels and top are the whiter white instead of the cream white. This correlates with the OEM Toyota 1982 FJ40 Wheels I got from Beno a few years ago. w00t!!

I'll match top and Bezel to the wheels!

rover67
02-07-2017, 10:49 PM
Kept cleaning parts for the CAD plater tonight and started a brake job on the rear axle. Well it turned into a tear down "since it was out" and I found a botched pinion seal job as well as a botched axle bearing install. Thinking this might be the source of some faint whining on the hwy I decided to just do it all over. I also need new bellcranks and a new e brake cable. I'll add those to the order when I call Kurt in the morning for the diff kit axle seals, soft brake lines for front and rear, and axle bearings. Already got new brake parts.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170208/e1b3bc04ae96a19d5caf37e323be8838.jpg

rover67
02-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Next time you see these parts they'll be a beautiful shade of goooooooooold !!!

I'l be using Billmark Plating in Texas per some recommendations instead of Aeropropeller this time.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/d57b11087c8910df9968fb020118d4ef.jpg

rover67
02-08-2017, 09:58 PM
Also in the news, the diff went to Robbie today and the housing went to Blast Tech for blasting and black powder coat.

OilHammer
02-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Gold?

rover67
02-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Driveshafts straightened and balanced with new Matsuba joints from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters installed at Boulder Driveline! Should be good for a while in the little 40!

Just picked them up!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/9aaccdf4a1ca12ff9e3e3aa9a980d390.jpg

Uncle Ben
02-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Driveshafts straightened and balanced with new Matsuba joints from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters installed at Boulder Driveline! Should be good for a while in the little 40!

Just picked them up!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170209/9aaccdf4a1ca12ff9e3e3aa9a980d390.jpg

Nice! Ron does great work! My new front shaft on my 80 is pure sexy!

rover67
02-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Frame and some other black powdercoat parts done!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170210/3795b9cdaaef9ec39954dcb57445b8b2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170210/9794683c96e1256b041fcf9c9c8ecacf.jpg

treerootCO
02-10-2017, 11:09 AM
So sexy! :cool:

rover67
02-10-2017, 07:17 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/5747f01d1e66c419b15da1114f9fb835.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/6ca29cbdb19501f567dc41cce9f8c522.jpg

MDH33
02-11-2017, 07:36 AM
can't wait to see the assembly start! :clap:

PhatFJ
02-11-2017, 08:22 AM
WOW, really nice Marco!!!!

rover67
02-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Got the front end back under it this morning. Also a bag of bolts off the shelf that I had CAD played a while back so I'd have spares. Convenient because I can get started while waiting on the other stuff to get done.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/53689212f74a6bbd72ef65490c59030c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/6dce7c37365bee80a5ef27c31b1f52a7.jpg

simps80
02-11-2017, 01:46 PM
love it Marco!
thanks for posting up pictures!

rover67
02-11-2017, 11:17 PM
Glad y'all are enjoying the photos!

So, I've been thinking of what to spray in the frame. It is coated inside and out with powder coating, they actually did a really nice job and got inside the damned thing better than I really thought possible. I still want to spray something in there though.

Thinking Fluid Film or 3M cavity wax. Thoughts?

http://3mcollision.com/cavity-wax-plus-08852.html

I originally was thinking Waxoil but I have a feeling these newer product are better.

Also bumped into this, I had no idea you could buy Cosmoline, I thought that was just an OEM type of thing.

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-rust-veto-342-industrial-grade/

SteveH
02-12-2017, 04:58 PM
I would maybe spray the hardest parts now, and then add more later. You don't want Fluid Film or something getting all over everything, while you're trying to reassemble. I think if this were mine, I'd wait until I was 100% done with the entire project and then spray various things in various places. Don't forget to hose down those (badly designed) front fender supports! All these products are simply light, runny greases, and should all work about as well as another. The trick to any rustproofing is to check back yearly, and touch-up as needed. Fighting rust, even in Colorado, is not a once-and-done thing.

nakman
02-12-2017, 09:39 PM
my goodness that is beautiful. I don't know how you even go to bed, I'd be out there all night bolting stuff on... :)

Is there a grease that doesn't attract a lot of dirt? I'd hestitate to put something in there that's just going collect a bunch of red dust that'll never come off.. what about an undercoating or something, applied from a rattle can? Sprayed with straw or something to get into all the nooks? But then dries and isn't tacky later.

nakman
02-12-2017, 09:41 PM
p.s.: who else went down the mat and named every one of those parts. :bolt:

rover67
02-13-2017, 08:28 AM
I'd be in there bolting things up but I'm now waiting on major components. I need to be shipping/ordering things.

Next up is get diff and housing back so I can re-assemble the rear axle, get bearing kits from Kurt so I can go through the T-Case and reseal the tranny. Also need to get the remainder of the Cad stuff off to plate since that'll hold up any major reassembly... then of course the body parts.

I also need to inventory all the spare parts I've hoarded so I don't order double for the body assembly.

Rezarf
02-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Just awesome bud.

aprosise
02-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Awhile back DanS mentioned a undercoating of sorts that had a long straw to get into frame rails and such. I bet he has some pretty good info....

DanS
02-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Awhile back DanS mentioned a undercoating of sorts that had a long straw to get into frame rails and such. I bet he has some pretty good info....

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-aerosol-black-14oz-54270.html

Makes a BIG mess when you apply it, because it drips and seeps into all the cracks--just the way I want it to in order to protect against rust inside the frame rails.

Dan

simps80
02-14-2017, 09:47 PM
i used that eastwood frame coating inside the 76 frame along with inside the doors and also all inside the 69 I am working on now...
the fogger fogs the crap out of it, coats everything in close quarters. works good definitely recommend for tught spots you want covered

Rezarf
02-15-2017, 09:31 AM
I heard that salt and battery acid is good for the inside of 40 frame rails, doors etc. I heard it is what Toyota used at the factory ;)

SteveH
02-15-2017, 01:06 PM
If you're going to DD this in the winter, then you need all the protection you can get. If it's mostly a garage queen, maybe you don't need the highest level of protection. The best thing you can do for any vehicle is NOT drive it behind the mag-chloride-sprayer truck.

subzali
02-15-2017, 01:37 PM
look at buckroseau's threads on IH8MUD. He lives in Minnesota and DDs a restored FJ40. He sprayed the tub with what he calls SEM sauce and it's survived perfectly for years, and he also lives on a dirt road so rock spray is a reality for him as well. He has a couple threads that are stickied in the FJ45 section where he uses the same stuff. If I ever to a resto I think that's what I'm going to use.

DanS
02-15-2017, 07:26 PM
look at buckroseau's threads on IH8MUD. He lives in Minnesota and DDs a restored FJ40. He sprayed the tub with what he calls SEM sauce and it's survived perfectly for years, and he also lives on a dirt road so rock spray is a reality for him as well. He has a couple threads that are stickied in the FJ45 section where he uses the same stuff. If I ever to a resto I think that's what I'm going to use.

FWIW, I think there are newer, better products out there.

I haven't driven my 60 which I lined with Monstaliner on the entire underside, for exactly this purpose.

My second choice would have been the SEM sauce.

Dan

rover67
02-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Bolts and all hard lines off to plating at Billmark in Texas.

Finally got the rear axle and springs all back on. OME light care of Kurt at Cruiser Outiffters. I think I bought the kit for this truck like 5 years ago?!

rover67
02-19-2017, 10:15 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170219/f5ffdc2b88b3d3fce811c3a31955f48c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170219/f30762abde3e6a236de4665ad487dab7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170219/166d8fd561e909cf7096c06e8b0d05a5.jpg

Rezarf
02-19-2017, 03:13 PM
:drool:

60wag
02-19-2017, 05:05 PM
I have a feeling that Marco's pictures are causing a lot of drool. :)

That frame and axle look like they're brand new.

rover67
02-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Glad you guys are enjoying the pictures!

Next on the list is getting the intake manifold torqued down, I lost a socket in there trying to get the bolt in front of the carb the other night so it has to come off. After that it's the oil pan gasket, rear main seal, and clutch. then it all goes back in. Debating on whether or not to go through the T case, it looks leak free and also looks to have the factory gaskets. Kinda dont fix it if it ain't broke maybe, but I keep looking at the intermediate shaft and thinking those o-rings can't be replaced without a teardown, also thinking about the seal between the tranny and t case. Right now I'm leaning toward a rebuild since its accessible and I am waiting on everything else anyways.

The bolts being out for plating kinda puts a stop on a lot of stuff :(

rover67
03-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Body parts just got done at the blaster and headed to paint!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/53f57f50835fbf28e24f8821f26b8e78.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/4f9c58b16c0d2fd2ba4bedcdbe0eaebe.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/f737b08925f990b637b5ee22670ed0d0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/88ad789a15c4ca3c7730bcc5ceb328c9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/2fade949e5f78f66f888da8fd45391ac.jpg

rover67
03-02-2017, 12:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/3a1c468d77603617b345d8ccfdaaf853.jpg

Shark Bait
03-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Very nice! :p:

aprosise
03-02-2017, 01:19 PM
:drool:

rover67
03-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Just got back from the paint guy, man i'm even more stoked than before. The parts also turned out really nice after blasting. Much nicer than anticipated. I guess millions of hours welding and grinding over 4 years paid off. Jebus.

hey, anybody know how to rotate landscape pics from my iphone/tapatalk postings?

treerootCO
03-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Took awhile to find the paint information for 1982. These scans are out of a Dupont Lucite (Acrylic Lacquer) Centari (Acrylic Enamel) book published in 1985 or so.

Land Cruiser (L)
Manufacturer Paint Code - 681
Du Pont Stock No. - 45456
Color - Green

rover67
03-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Fuel tank cleaned up and re-felted.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170315/a15ef518f9f5cc40374675bb47a38d02.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170315/e6edaf226b8d03ffb78bebf89389ae34.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170315/5c16ba027e620956ec31f3f6e1a75210.jpg

New Aisin clutch, koyo throwout and pilot bearing, Remachined flywheel, gear reduction starter, and new aisin slave for the clutch. I also got new rubber boots for the flywheel housing vent and clutch fork.

Motor is ready to go back in.

Still waiting on my cad plates bolts but I'm helping Adam with a t case rebuild in the mean time. Anybody got a .4 or .5 mm output bearing shim?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170315/0e0c5e1edc23302cfec9e35d88d975bb.jpg

rover67
03-15-2017, 12:15 AM
Mike, thanks for the detective work on the paint codes! Time to talk to the painter!! 681, with a DuPont cross reference even!!

rover67
03-15-2017, 12:23 AM
OEM bumper

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170315/75d182348479ca463ed6165a2851c97b.jpg

rover67
03-15-2017, 12:24 AM
OEM Pintle!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170315/700326f6c1630cc6daac262a39f17a0b.jpg

aprosise
03-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Marco, Ill check my Transfer case box tonight for a shim. Im sure I do....and in Boulder.

rover67
03-15-2017, 08:14 AM
That would be totally awesome Adam. I re-did some thinking/calculations and I am looking for two "0's" (0.15mm) and one "4" (0.4mm). I think we need 0.3-0.4mm of shim. 0.6mm was way too much and 0.15mm was way to low. Those are the two sizes I have. The .15mm one I made so at a minimum I could use that with something if you have it but would prefer some factory made ones.

The case had been assembled with no gaskets just silicone, and the 0.6mm shim so the preload was so high it trashed a few things. What a mess.

I'll shoot you a PM

rover67
03-17-2017, 12:06 AM
Thanks Adam that was perfect!!

Got the motor in!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/cf218dce9993d846cd1795b3216c2167.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/f4d49cf23e085a36b61de8c91710bc81.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/63d5de063ebedf1e54831106d4b9e430.jpg

Time to mock up the exhaust.

treerootCO
03-17-2017, 08:53 PM
Love it! Keep the pics coming. :)

rover67
03-31-2017, 03:00 PM
I started work on the exhaust today with a lot of Drew's help. Its an opportunity to figure out how to use new equipment at work so that's fun. The flanges will be exact OEM replicas to work with OEM sealing rings and hardware. I didn't want to monkey with aftermarket 3 bolt flanges that didn't fit the NOS OEM muffler and stock down pipe correctly:

MDH33
03-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Wow Marco, I was thinking maybe you were going to do a custom stainless exhaust or something, but you're going all OEM there too? :cool:

rover67
03-31-2017, 06:07 PM
For Shizzle! It's gotta sound like the day it was built too!

rover67
03-31-2017, 06:08 PM
Got some bolts back so Robbie diff goes in!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/08c632a6920426e5000d943c88b5882f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/de5f3c67c9285d7c1ba2ba0c34d7bfd5.jpg

rover67
03-31-2017, 06:10 PM
For some reason the short side axle was nasty. Luckily one of my spare 60 ones will replace it (left vs right)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/cf25989f08f7da116d541d9afc5588b5.jpg

rover67
03-31-2017, 10:01 PM
Diff and axles in with new bearings and seals of course. Shocks bolted up with replated hardware. Yummy OEM bump stops

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/919976e6505d1574392704c301c1cd28.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/c86f1cb4dccd3194662b632975b5c92c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/30fa6a2f7674bc0b92c7a02ef7427902.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/bbfe75d00d88f49847e4696d6c817066.jpg

Inspection cover on with felt gasket and replated hardware

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/1262f2fa84650668065a075222b3aafe.jpg

White Stripe
03-31-2017, 10:43 PM
I started work on the exhaust today with a lot of Drew's help. Its an opportunity to figure out how to use new equipment at work so that's fun. The flanges will be exact OEM replicas to work with OEM sealing rings and hardware. I didn't want to monkey with aftermarket 3 bolt flanges that didn't fit the NOS OEM muffler and stock down pipe correctly:

I think SOR makes those too.

rover67
04-01-2017, 02:13 AM
I looked and couldn't find them anywhere. A dude on mud used to sell the down pipe flanges but he doesn't any longer.

I think things are different on this truck since it was kind of a short run and they changed things. Also the flange on the down pipe is different than the ones on the intermediate pipe. I couldn't find a good intermediate pipe anywhere either so I figured I'd make a stockish replacement for that too. When the exhaust is mocked up I'll get it all ceramic coated along with the heat shields in a color that looks stock. Hopefully it'll last and that way I can use the OEM muffler instead of some aftermarket one and still have it not rust out in 30 years like the first one.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/ca8cf565f0d7cefe51f4edc3c99460d2.jpg

rover67
04-01-2017, 02:18 AM
I'll double check SOR for the flanges in the morning though, it's not much trouble to make them but if they have them I'll buy em.