PDA

View Full Version : loc-rite for sale

the 55 guy
04-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I have a brand new in the box 8 year old loc-rite. It fits older cruisers, my 55 is a 70'. It will not hold up to a 4BT, so Im getting ARBs. $200

Terry

subzali
04-06-2006, 11:29 PM
unless I'm mistaken that should fit a '77 right? Anyone?

treerootCO
04-06-2006, 11:47 PM
1969 - 1989 Front

1969 - 1997 Rear

I can't think what the difference is between front and rear though...

Uncle Ben
04-07-2006, 12:33 AM
1969 - 1989 Front

1969 - 1997 Rear

91 started the 80 series with the reverse cut pinion mini diff. in the front.

the 55 guy
04-07-2006, 01:41 AM
Here is the info off the box. First off, loc-rite, spelled lock right. part # 1630, 30 tooth spline.
And whats up with the rock stacker under my name????????? I have some rocks you can stack!

Terry

nuclearlemon
04-07-2006, 09:24 AM
1969 - 1989 Front

1969 - 1997 Rear

usually, it's just that front doesn't use a block on the pin since you don't have to worry about the axles walking in on the front.

subzali
04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
so will it work?

wesintl
04-07-2006, 10:29 AM
The 30 spline is what you want (which will fit your truck) Matt.

subzali
04-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks Wes, that's what it sounded like but I wanted it explicit, you know so I can understand it :hill:

nakman
04-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Terry, nice to see you on the forum! And the other night at the meeting, though we didn't get a chance to talk much. We'll catch up in Moab, can't wait to see how the shirts come out. :cheers: -tim

Hulk
04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
And whats up with the rock stacker under my name????????? I have some rocks you can stack!
It will say Rising Sun member once you have paid your 2006 dues!

That's a good deal on a brand new Lock Right. I bought mine used from Dan Dilley, and I think I paid $180.

Rzeppa
04-07-2006, 01:03 PM
1969 - 1989 Front

1969 - 1997 Rear

I can't think what the difference is between front and rear though...I thought 30 spline inners started in the 1968 model year? Anyway, the difference in the front is as has been posted, the 80 series (and 75 series) use the 8" reverse cut high pinion diff in the front. Smaller carrier than the standard LC 9.5" diff.

Note that with a coarse spline diff you can always just swap out to fine spline shafts.

Speaking of which, I have a set of coarse spline 40/45/55 rear shafts - anybody need 'em? I have coarse spline side gears too...Free to highest bidder :-)

wesintl
04-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Speaking of which, I have a set of coarse spline 40/45/55 rear shafts - anybody need 'em? I have coarse spline side gears too...Free to highest bidder :-)

I'm going to hold out for some ball and claw :eek:

:confused: I thought I won last time -5.50 and a highlife :lmao: :hill:

I could take the rear off your hands...

Magoo
04-07-2006, 01:36 PM
too bad it aint an aussie cause id snatch it up in a flash

wesintl
04-07-2006, 02:21 PM
too bad it aint an aussie cause id snatch it up in a flash

Huh :confused: They are virtually identical

the 55 guy
04-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Speaking of which, I have a set of coarse spline 40/45/55 rear shafts - anybody need 'em? I have coarse spline side gears too...Free to highest bidder :-)[/QUOTE]

If you still have them I will take them.

terry

Magoo
04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
people have had too many issues with lock rights for me to snag 1 up

wesintl
04-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Like what?

Shark Bait
04-07-2006, 04:08 PM
It's what I'm running in the pig. No problems. Again, you should go for this deal. I'll help you install it. :D

wesintl
04-07-2006, 04:51 PM
It will say Rising Sun member once you have paid your 2006 dues!

He's on the last roster from zepp so we'll give him access and the sec can hound him about 2006 dues... :thumb:

Hulk
04-08-2006, 01:38 AM

I have an older Lock Right like the one Terry has for sale. Snapped an axle at Moab last year; the Lock Right had not a scratch. Don't know who's been spreading rumors about Lock Rights, but they ain't true. It's probably the most common locker in trucks in the club.

Uncle Ben
04-08-2006, 09:41 AM

Great units! Not sure where you base your information. :confused:

subzali
04-09-2006, 01:46 AM
I think he may be referring to the street handling characteristics of the Lockrite vs. the Aussie. A BUNCH of threads on MUD and elsewhere have been people talking about popping/banging/truck jumping around if you apply power at the wrong time during a corner etc. It appears to me anyway that the Aussie is a much smoother unit. I wish I had the cash now to get this though :rant: ...got plastic! j/k :rolleyes:

Hulk
04-09-2006, 11:21 PM
I've had a Lock Right in the back of my 40 for 5 years. If you go VERY slowly around a tight corner, you'll get some crazy popping. But you won't get this in normal driving; not even going through the drive-thru at McDonald's. If the Aussie has improved on this, good for them! The Lock Right won't drive you crazy by any means. 99% of the time, you won't even know it's there.

bustanutley
04-10-2006, 09:08 AM
If I recall correctly shawn has an aussi in the back of his 40 already which alleviates the street driving dillema all together. The front end just dose not unlock with power applied off-road, the only time it is going to unlock is when your running 2-wheel drive with the hubs locked which both lockright and aussi will do no big deal. I have run lockrights in both ends of my truck for ~4 years, had to re-shim the front once, I wheel the crap out of my 40.

Simply put, just buy the thing if you were to get a lunchbox locker anyway, you will not be disipointed.

Rzeppa
04-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I wonder if anyone's done an actual A/B comparison of the performance of a Lock Right versus an Aussie locker, in the exact same diff with the exact same thrust clearances. To look at them side-by-side, the only difference I notice is the shape of the windows where the springs go in. Most all of the engagement/disengagement problems are related to improper thrust clearance between the inside of the carrier and the outside of the couplers.

With proper thrust clearance, the only problem I have ever seen is that they're not as strong as other lockers. The two I broke were both replaced under warrantee, first one by Powertrax, second one by Richmond. I carry a spare, plus my old side gears, spiders and spacer.

Uncle Ben
04-10-2006, 11:21 AM
I wonder if anyone's done an actual A/B comparison of the performance of a Lock Right versus an Aussie locker, in the exact same diff with the exact same thrust clearances. To look at them side-by-side, the only difference I notice is the shape of the windows where the springs go in. Most all of the engagement/disengagement problems are related to improper thrust clearance between the inside of the carrier and the outside of the couplers.

With proper thrust clearance, the only problem I have ever seen is that they're not as strong as other lockers. The two I broke were both replaced under warrantee, first one by Powertrax, second one by Richmond. I carry a spare, plus my old side gears, spiders and spacer.

I've not messed (or even held in my hand) an Aussie Locker so I have not commented. The only thing that could be differant would be the angle of the drive lugs and possibly the material. Personally, being a small fish in the biz world I of course support other small fish when I can. PowerTrax is an awesome company and has stood behind their product 100% everytime I have dealt with them. Tractech (Detroit Locker) nearly killed Powertrax a few years ago when they pirated the design and played corporate ball crushing. PowerTrax survived! Aussie Locker is another pirated model from the original. In short, buy PowerTrax!
The biggest issue of a Lock Rite Vrs Detroit Locker is the accelerated wear and the inherant driveline slop of the "Lunchbox" lockers. It's the way they work and they will always have those issues! You get what you pay for but at $200 you get A LOT for your money with the Lock Rite! Got axles? :eek: ;) :cheers:

wesintl
04-10-2006, 11:29 AM
apparantly alot is different.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=884029&postcount=10

I've had my lockrite in the rear of my 60, the front of my 40 and now in the rear of my 70. It hardly ever unlocks, never broken, etc.

I did pull out my spare front and rear axles to put in (and stay) the truck. I need to figure out how to secure them though. I'm looking for some kind of action packer or somthing of the sort that I can fit them in. Any ideas?

wesintl
04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
If shawn adjusts his rear locker anything like he adjusts his timing I can see why he doesn't want one. :lmao: :hill:

But, in another thread he said he does things the :canada: way so now i'm :confused:

Magoo
04-10-2006, 02:07 PM
If shawn adjusts his rear locker anything like he adjusts his timing I can see why he doesn't want one. :lmao: :hill:

But, in another thread he said he does things the :canada: way so now i'm :confused:
GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!
thats friggin funny Wes.anyway i suppose i was told differently about the lock rites.and my aussie kicks n bangs aswell,but its probably outta adjustment.pretty much like you said wes.dont know dont care really.ill adjust it when it breaks or something else does :lmao: .
thanks for the flamin. :D

nakman
04-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Shawn, buy the locker!

Wes, how about some PVC? Drill some holes through it sideways to secure it to the floor of your truck, put the axles inside, ideally with the axles inside between the mounting bolts. The PVC will also double as birfield remover, when the need arises..

wesintl
04-10-2006, 03:09 PM
That's a good idea. :) It will work for FF shafts but I have these Semi floater axles in the rear. People seem to be breaking the rears more often too. Maybe I can use a piece of large pvc.

Uncle Ben
04-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Shawn, buy the locker!

Wes, how about some PVC? Drill some holes through it sideways to secure it to the floor of your truck, put the axles inside, ideally with the axles inside between the mounting bolts. The PVC will also double as birfield remover, when the need arises..

I'm not near as fancy as "Inspector Gadget Nakman." :lmao: On my inner axle spares I spray them with white lube. wrap them with several wraps of clear plastic wrap then wrap that in duck tape. Then they are protected, wont rust and cushioned from rattles. I then zip tie them to the outside of the rear base of the roll cage in the 40. They are always there, take no extra space and with a quick slip of the knife they are ready to install. The 80 I doubt I'll carry spares as 80's don't break stock birfs to offten and I'm pretty confident I wont break a Longfield. Rears will be Cromo very soon too!

Uncle Ben
04-10-2006, 03:19 PM
That's a good idea. :) It will work for FF shafts but I have these Semi floater axles in the rear. People seem to be breaking the rears more often too. Maybe I can use a piece of large pvc.

:lmao: If you make the one end of the PVC tube large to handle the flange then you would also have a spud gun on hand! :lmao: :lmao: :cheers:

nakman
04-10-2006, 04:23 PM
FWIW, I'll be carrying spare front axles with me out to Moab, then leaving them at camp. I just had this idea for a great use of the CM trailer- what if members all "loaned" spares, then housed them in this common location? Everything gets labeled with your name on it, consolidated to a printed inventory list & distributed to leaders... then if someone breaks leaders have the list and would know who to call for the secret hide-a-key location, and then they could coordinate getting them their part. And if someone did break and use your part, you'd get a brand spanking new part the following week shipped to your house, courtesy of broke dude's credit card. Only way you'd be screwed would be someone takes your rear axle on Thursday, then you brake one on Friday and your spare is gone.

That's more than I can sign up to manage though, today.. plus I'm 3 hijacks and 2 forums away from the right place to post this stuff anyway.. but these wheels don't stop, y'know??

Shark Bait
04-10-2006, 04:47 PM
I always bring a complete set of 40/55 front inner & outer and rear axles with me. I leave them in the pig in case I need them. I usually bring a spare 3rd member, but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. It may have been used and not replaced.

subzali
04-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Alright, SOLD to the skinny little punk with his hand in everybody's face! :D

Thanks Terry!