PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... online CB purchase?

Red_Chili
11-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Need a CB for my 'new' ride (I sold the '93 pickup to a friend, got an '01 4Runner Limited - auto - for my lovely bride and her bad back, and inherited her '97 4Runner affectionately known as Green Chili). Mostly for hunting communications where I am the ONLY ham present, so ham won't work.

Google is my friend.
Stumbled across these guys:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/jeep-offroad-cb-radio-106/jeep-off-road-cb-kit-uniden-pro-510xl-418.html

They seem super customer oriented from what I read of the reviews (and yeah, some reviews are not exactly glowing but positive ("these guys walk on water, turned my CB into gold bullion, and PAID ME to ship it back to me". Nah. 15813).

Lots more options than, and looks to be the same tuneup as, the grumpy old men on Sheridan. :lmao: Not that I would fault someone for being a grumpy old man or anything. :rolleyes: At about the same price or maybe less.

Thought I would share and maybe find out if anyone has done business with them.

[edit]
Now THIS looks interesting...
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cars-cb-radio-kits-134/midland-75-822-car-kit-486.html

Better price, not as good an antenna if bought together:
http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-75-822-Channel-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR
Check out the reviews though. Not so much.

wesintl
11-18-2009, 07:54 AM
He posted in our vendor section and seems like they have it together

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7861&highlight=radio

Red_Chili
11-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks, Wes, I need to check out the vendor forum more often.

Hulk
11-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Now THIS looks interesting...
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cars-cb-radio-kits-134/midland-75-822-car-kit-486.html

That's a pretty cool concept. I like the fact that you can use it to spot people on the trail, but it has the benefits of an external antenna when it's in the vehicle.

timmbuck2
11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
That's a pretty cool concept. I like the fact that you can use it to spot people on the trail, but it has the benefits of an external antenna when it's in the vehicle.

Exactly! I have been researching a setup just like that. Would be nice to support one of our vendors, too.

wesintl
11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't know if i'd consider him "our vendor". All they did was post on our forum to advertise their business. I'm not aware they have supported us in any way.

treerootCO
11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
I have a new in the box/never used Wilson 5000 for sale if you are looking for that sort of thing. $50

Beater
11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
hijack - I have some seat covers for that truck if you want them. waterproof cordura. Tan. Very sexy.

Red_Chili
11-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Huh. Those seatcovers just might work. PM me with how much you want. I assume they are the tight fitting variety like what Jerry at Burt/Groove sold for a while?

Red_Chili
11-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I have a new in the box/never used Wilson 5000 for sale if you are looking for that sort of thing. $50
Trunk lip mount?
Where were you going to mount it on the 80?

Red_Chili
11-18-2009, 12:15 PM
That's what got me.

However, looking at reviews of same on Amazon, my enthusiasm waned. Come to think of it, I had a Midland hand held that died exactly how a few users describe theirs dying.

Beater
11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Huh. Those seatcovers just might work. PM me with how much you want. I assume they are the tight fitting variety like what Jerry at Burt/Groove sold for a while?

I paid 50.00 plus shipping. so a case of brown bottles will work.

yes, these are actualy from the factory that provides toyota na with theirs. These are my second set that I have gotten from them, and the quality is superb.

I will be working on the kz all weekend - you able to swing by to see if they fit?
j

Beater
11-18-2009, 12:25 PM
See if you can find the k40 lip mount antenna. I have that on the t100, and it is detachable. works real well. I really like having a detachable unit.

Red_Chili
11-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I paid 50.00 plus shipping. so a case of brown bottles will work.

yes, these are actualy from the factory that provides toyota na with theirs. These are my second set that I have gotten from them, and the quality is superb.

I will be working on the kz all weekend - you able to swing by to see if they fit?
j
Those sound great. Yep, I might be able to swing by. Brown bottles in hand.

FWIW I am hearing superb things about Wilson antennas. They have a flexible one for $25 (but you gotta buy a mount). I dunno...

treerootCO
11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Trunk lip mount?
Where were you going to mount it on the 80?

I bought the trunk lip mount to clip it to the tire carrier. It is too big for my application.

timmbuck2
11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I really like having a detachable unit.

:lmao: I am SO immature...

corsair23
11-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I really like having a detachable unit.

:lmao: I am SO immature...

Me too...If that doesn't end up in someone's sig line it will be a shame...I ain't got no more room in mine :doh:

Edit: Nevermind...updated my sig line :hill: - Lost the '76 40 info but it was worth it :)

Red_Chili
11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah but we should show more deference to Timm than quoting him in a sig line, doncha think?

:lmao:

Air Randy
11-18-2009, 03:19 PM
To your original question: I went down to the grumpy old men's place and after about 5 minutes of being totally ignored while they BS'd with a buddy I left. I found RightChannel and ordered my complete kit (radio-ant mount-firestik antenna-watt meter) from them for lots cheaper than I saw it anywhere else. Everything showed up 3 days later and worked perfect.

I like the Firestik antenna, it's about 3' long but can be folded totally in half without breaking or bending.

Hulk
11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
To your original question: I went down to the grumpy old men's place and after about 5 minutes of being totally ignored while they BS'd with a buddy I left.

Huh. I'm the one who has been pimping Radio Service Center on the forum, too. :(

timmbuck2
11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
and it is not exactly easy to ignore Randy!

Red_Chili
11-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Huh. I'm the one who has been pimping Radio Service Center on the forum, too. :(
I have too... but gotta tell you, the online place was far more cheerful and patient with my questions!

They can't 'tune up' the Cobra unit (looks extremely sexy, and it very transferable from vehicle to vehicle with their little adapter box thingie). They can tune up the Uniden and now I am kicking myself for not getting my 520 tuned from the grumpy guys when I could. I am sure if I could get their attention at the counter they would be happy to take my money and get it back to me in a week or two. :lmao: