PDA

View Full Version : Rear Air Bags (guaging interest)

4runner luv
11-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I have some air bags installed in my rear coil springs of my 3rd gen 4runner (1996). I just installed about a 3" lift and they don't really do much anymore. They still stiffen the springs a little, but are just too short with the lift. Besides, the runner has a bit of a rake to it now, so it sits pretty good with the trailer hooked up. Would anyone pay... say... $50 for them? or anything for that matter?

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=627

Red_Chili
11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Hmmm.... adaptable to leafs, do you think? I would pay that if so.

I tend to have saggybutt when hunting. Pulling the popup... carrying all the food... maybe it is the portable jacuzzi that tips the scales.

Hey, a guy's gotta have his comforts.

It would be kinda cool to lift the rear when hung up on a rock... yeah, I am a geek.

4runner luv
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM
They are basically just real thick rubber balloons. Without coil springs, there would be nothing to mount them to or contain them. So, after that long explanation that probably no one is interested in... no, I don't think they could be adapted to leaf springs.

nakman
11-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Bill just switch to coils on the runner, problem solved! :)

Red_Chili
11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Do you work for gubmint?

It's just that 'spend $1,000 to save a dime' approach... :lmao:

nakman
11-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey 4runna luv were you at the recycling place today at about 3:30? I was rolling up in the 80 with a load of branches, think I saw ya pulling out... yes that back end is lookin pretty high!! :thumb:

4runner luv
11-22-2009, 01:43 AM
ha ha, yup that was me. I saw your Cruiser and remarked to my girlfriend that it was nice. She could have cared less, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Myredyota
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Hmmm.... adaptable to leafs, do you think? I would pay that if so.

I tend to have saggybutt when hunting. Pulling the popup... carrying all the food... maybe it is the portable jacuzzi that tips the scales.

Hey, a guy's gotta have his comforts.

It would be kinda cool to lift the rear when hung up on a rock... yeah, I am a geek.

Bill,

ZUK has done a bunch of the coil & leaf spring setups. Here is his write up on 4x4Wire. (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=811919&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1)
He also has a bunch of info at the bottom of his web page.