PDA

View Full Version : Chinaman's Gulch Sunday 11-22

Air Randy
11-19-2009, 09:37 PM
The Front Range 4x4 group is doing Chinaman's this coming Sunday if any of you are interested. They're meeting at Johnson's Truck stop at 9:30 AM

EWheeler
11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you going? Any idea how large of a group? Just checked it out on trail damage and it looks like a fun trail.

AxleIke
11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
AH CRAP!

I want to do this so bad. Too bad I can barely drive the truck as is and haven't fixed the issues with it yet.

Have some fun for me!

SRT08BUS
11-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I'd like to go, never been, but not sure if my fj has all the toys I need. I have no skids or lockers.. all I have is a lift and 285/70/17 tires

Air Randy
11-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Are you going? Any idea how large of a group? Just checked it out on trail damage and it looks like a fun trail.

Yes, I'm going. It looks like FR has 7-8 rigs signed up so far.

As far as rig requirements, I believe the recommendation is 33's and a rear locker. I suspect you are fine on the clearance part. I'm no FJC expert but don't you have some type of factory traction control device that partially fulfills the need of a rear locker? I would suggest you go ahead and go. Worst case you can find someone with an open seat and ride along with them.

Some of the more experienced FJC folks should chime in with their opinion but I think you can make it.

There are a few tight spots where having sliders is nice but I've seen rigs bigger than FJC's get through with no damage.

TIMZTOY
11-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Oooooooo I wish my POS was running properlly. I'd love to go. I might just hav to get off my ars and do some work. :gaah::grinpimp:

Red_Chili
11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
About due west of that Exploder is a very old Yamaha IT something or other... I bet an IT200 but who knows.

From back in my day...

Chinaman's is a fun trail, you'll like it. Usually, near 4 season wheeling. A rear locker is very helpful.

nuclearlemon
11-20-2009, 04:39 PM
About due west of that Exploder is a very old Yamaha IT something or other... I bet an IT200 but who knows.

looks like my old it175e

EWheeler
11-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Hmmmm, I will think about it. What is the ETA at the trailhead? I am not familiar with Johnsons Truck Stop, but I am assuming it is on the way up from the front range.

Any huge undercuts on the trail? I just got back from Moab and while the rear springs and pinion held up (did a couple of ledges but nothing requiring any hard assaults), I definitely am not trying to tackle anything too difficult on it until I build a wrap bar. 37's, a rockbox, and rear locker help me not have to pound on it too hard to get over things, but just curious what others think w/ experience on this particular trail? Should I stay home? I am all about finesse and choosing the right line, definitely no a give 'er hell type of driver.

J Kimmel
11-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I bet you'd be just fine.

nanuk
11-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I might just show up and represent us Springs people as long as at least one of you are going. I haven't done it in almost 10 years.

Showed up there earlier this year with the 80, untied it from the trailer, went to start it, and NADA. I hurried up and tied it back down and got out of there before the J**p guys I was meeting there saw me. lol

Got some bigger nikes for 40 so I need to try them out.

Nay
11-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Come join, it will be a great day and family friendly.

I will have my whole family plus the pup onboard, we'll be taking the trail slow and easy so everybody can try their lines.

:cheers:

Air Randy
11-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Just go down I-25 to Hwy 24 and head West, follow the signs towards Buena Vista. Before you get to BV you will go through a small town called Johnson's Corner, on the left side of the road you will see Johnson's Truck Stop & cafe. The plan is for everyone to meet there at 9:30 and go to the trailhead (which is just a couple of miles away) by 10:00 AM.

Your rig will do fine and there is no place you have to beat on it hard to get around.

SRT08BUS
11-20-2009, 10:21 PM
that's gonna be a no go for me, trying to keep the rig from getting her 65k look-a-roo. I might go see what Old Squaw Pass looks like and also see how the snow looks up at Echo Mountain Park...Can't wait to go jib'n

nanuk
11-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Randy, You gonna be there tomorrow?
If so, ya want to go play on Carnage also?
If not Randy, anyone else?

I will most likely meet everyone at the trailhead. I plan on getting there early to unload and ensure I am not going to have any clearance issues with my diameter enhanced tires.

I will be the one in the BEAT white fj40.

Air Randy
11-21-2009, 08:48 PM

I will most likely meet everyone at the trailhead. I plan on getting there early to unload and ensure I am not going to have any clearance issues with my diameter enhanced tires.

Tomorrow is going to be the maiden run for a new to me rig. I need to see how well my new tires are going to clear, etc. Probably will take a rain check on carnage until next trip.

Nay
11-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Chinaman's always takes all day with a decent sized group at this time of year since sunset will be around 4:00.

I doubt there is any way to do both.

We can spend some time playing on the harder lines of the optional obstacles on Chinamans, like the left line on Whales Tail and Double Step, though.

I'd like to play on Carnage, but not in an 80 :D

J Kimmel
11-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I am going to go, wouldn't feel bad about a quick run up Carnage, meet up with the other group partway through, or just run Chinamens :)

Towing my Toy behind a CC Duramax, see you all at the trailhead.

Nay
11-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Cool, see you there :cheers:

JadeRunner
11-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm curious how the run went. Post up in the trip report section would ya?

SRT08BUS
11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
there's some post on Front Range 4X4.com......no pics though.

Air Randy
11-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Theres a lot more pic's up over on Front Range now but here are the two of my rig before the front spring pack went "clang"! The weather was beautiful, no snow on the trail and we were the only vehicles on the trail until late in the day when a few dirt bikes came by.

EWheeler
11-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, I have to say I had a great time. It was awesome to get out of the valley, meet some new folks, and run a fun trail. My 40 did well but I don't dare push it without a rear wrap bar so I took all the easy lines when possible. I actually didn't run the loop as JKimmel and myself both had prior arangements back a home we had to make it to, so we turned around at the Double Step and headed back down. We found Randy with his leafspring pack in pieces and watched as he, his son in law, and Nay put her back together. I feel bad for leaving early as apparently he had much more trouble later on in the trail, but it sounds like everyone still with the group contributed and got him back up and going. (Good work!)

Here is a link to my pics and one vid. Sorry for the quality, my 2003 era point and shoot and the lighting were not compatible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/evantwheeler/ChinamanGulch112209#

PS. Thank for the wheels Randy:cheers: Do you mind posting the link to the frontrange thread so Josh can grab the pics of his rig. Thanks.