PDA

View Full Version : Eezi-Awn Globetrotter RTT for Trailers

Romer
11-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I recently bought a used Adventure Trailer Horizon Model used from someone in Wyoming. It came with a really nice Overland RTT (Now Squishy's)

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=15220&stc=1&d=1255788929

And it fits nicely in my garage
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=15254&stc=1&d=1255918603

I bought it knowing I wanted to swap out the roof Top Tent. Probably sounds silly that I wanted something more comfortable on a trailer and I was willing give up my pop up camper to get it.

I first looked at RTTs with Changing rooms like the ARB Simpson. The reason a standard RTT like the ARB Simpson won't work well is the platform unfolds about shoulder high and the majority of the changing room you would not be able to stand in except right were the ladder is. Plus there would be extra material and the door would require stooping into. This is because the tent is designed to on top of a tall vehicle.

The reason I like the changing room is I want more than just the bed area. An area I can change in, sit in a chair and read a book or watch videos. Have more than just me in the tent if the weather is bad or have the option of having the girls go with me, but I know they would get the bed and I would get a cot to sleep in the other room, thats why for me, a changing room must be big enough for at least one cot.

I then found two models with Changing Rooms that work on trailers.

The Serengeti from Camping Lab (Fernando) and the Eezi-Awn Globetrotter from Paul May. I found the customer service from both parties to be exceptional in answering all of my questions.

The Serengeti from Camping Lab provides a very large Changing room. Trailer top loft 57X83" - Bed area
Ground room 80X83"

Big enough for a couple of cots or 4 chairs. Room for the girls if they come, or just a place to chill. A nice compromise between a RTT and my camper. I wanted something in the middle

This tent is great for a family as there are lots of options for sleeping and being able to have room inside during poor weather. Fernando is also a great guy who I have dealt with before

Romer
11-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I then looked at the Eezi Awn Globetrotter. Paul May answered all my questions on the Eez-Awn.
http://www.eeziawn.co.za/New%20images/GT_addaroom.jpg

http://www.eeziawn.co.za/New%20images/GT_panelsside.jpg
http://www.eeziawn.co.za/New%20images/GT-withoutpanels.jpg
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/images/globetrotter/gt5.jpg
The Eezi Awn Globetrotter Trailer tent is brand new for 2009. It has all the features and quality you have come to expect from Eezi Awn, but with a unique design that sets it in a league of it's own. The Globetrotter is designed for use on a trailer or vehicle roof with a height of no more than 1.5 meters, or 59". It measures 83"x63"x8" when closed, and weighs in at approximately 110 pounds. What makes the Globetrotter so unique is that the tent opens over the edge of your trailer or vehicle to create a roof line you can add walls to and create a dual level enclosed structure. The bed is the entire platform, roughly the size of a queen size bed. The mattress is a new, thicker 3" single density foam. A marked improvement in comfort. A short ladder is provided to enter the bed area, and can be attached at several locations along the interior side. The bed area is enclosed by a vertical panel that stretches from the tent base to the top of the roofline, and offers a mesh window for viewing the ret of the tent area. The room off the side of the vehicle measures 83"x63". the roofline of the room is angled at a 30 degree slope from the tent base to provide a door entry height of more that 6 feet. Encased in the roof line, in it's own duck cloth case, is a Series 1000 awning the stretches the width of the tent and spans out 67" from the far roof line edge. This, in effect, creates a shaded area of 83"x130", or 75 square feet, between the two rooflines. The awning rolls up and easily stores in the Globetrotter roof.

Romer
11-21-2009, 10:56 AM
I was first leaning towards the Serengeti, but many of my fellow club members helped review the choices with me and it came down to the fact that I would be using this by myself most of the time and with the Serengetti, you always have the changing room. The Eezi-awn provides flexibility to not have the changing room or awning and just have the basic RTT with an awning over the ladder portion. I can also put the Eezi-awn on my vehicle, but would need a different ladder to do that
Paul May was great to deal with and I was also happy to give business to a Cruise Moab Sponsor.

It came yesterday and I installed it last night
It can be just a RTT and you can enclose the sleeping area

Romer
11-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Then you can deploy the additional awning

Romer
11-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Then add the Changing room

Romer
11-21-2009, 11:03 AM
The tent is made of great materials and should be a lifetime investment.

There are only two issues I have right now. My trailer is a bit taller than it was designed for. This is only an issue when the changing room is attached. It reaches the ground and I could stake it. The PVC material is suppose to be on the ground completely. I may end up getting more material from the manufacturer and lengthening it 6 inches. Should be OK the way it is though

The other is its awkward to setup the first time. Other RTTs can be setup by pulling the ladder. Can't do that with this one. Tried the way in the manual and it was real awkward. Contact Paul and he told me to stand on the tire and pull on the strap stepping down as you go. That worked real well.

MDH33
11-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Too :cool: ! I bet you're going to have a lot of fun with that setup, Ken.

FJBRADY
11-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Great set up, very :cool:

TIMZTOY
11-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Man. Makes me want one even more. Kinda looks like it needs to be slid twords the rear 1-2" to clear the side compartments better. But I haven't seen it in person. Also can it Be slid twords the pashenger side of the trailer to clear the side compartment better ? Looks in the picture like it's going around the side box, instead of stright down. But what do I know I'm on a tiny 3" screen iPhone. Lol
Super sweet dude. :thumb:

Romer
11-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Man. Makes me want one even more. Kinda looks like it needs to be slid twords the rear 1-2" to clear the side compartments better. But I haven't seen it in person. Also can it Be slid twords the pashenger side of the trailer to clear the side compartment better ? Looks in the picture like it's going around the side box, instead of stright down. But what do I know I'm on a tiny 3" screen iPhone. Lol
Super sweet dude. :thumb:

Thanks Everyone

I place it by letting it overhang the rear two inches. Didn't want it to stick out to far.

It's as far driver as it can go so I could put the awning back on. I had to move it as far passenger as I could and aeven then had to trim the metal bracket to make a notch. It just barley clears

I put tape on the bottom of the old holes and filled them with JB Weld. I love that stuff.

As you can see when you open the top, there is still two inches of clearance. Wish they made the brackets a bit shorter.

TIMZTOY
11-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Looks great. You could always make the bracket shorter. There's no "wishing" in the world or fabricating. Lol

bh4rnnr
11-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Awesome Ken! Lovin my RTT and Paul is a great guy. Look forward to seeing all the trip reports with your new toy:cool:

:beer::beer:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Great looking RTT!

RockRunner
11-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Very nice, looks like it will be a fun year(s) for you.

rover67
11-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Super sweet. You're gonna love it!

I really like what you ended up doing given all of the feedback and thought put into it. It makes sense.