PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust is HOT

Hants
11-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Our pre-run to Moab yielded some post-trip carnage.

On the way back over the 70, I got a quick whiff of an odd smell. It didn't repeat, so I figured it was one of the other vehicles on the freeway.

I got home and found melted plastic & rubber all over the back. :eek: :rant: :o :(

I must have bent the exhaust up just enough to aim it at my Slee rear bumper. From there, the bumper deflected it upward.

Cooked the Line-X, plastic, and rubber all up the side. Doesn't appear to be any paint damage.

Anyone know of a parts rig that I can get parts from? I'll need at least 1 strut, the bumper & latch hardware on the quarter panel, the latch on the tailgate, the tail light.

nakman
11-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow, that's amazing.. I think I've got a tail light for you. Daniel had some struts a while back not sure if they're around still? can't help on the others..

farnhamstj
11-22-2009, 09:23 PM
:eek:

Hulk
11-22-2009, 09:24 PM
When did this happen? Did you go back out to Moab?

Shark Bait
11-22-2009, 09:51 PM
That's wild. :eek:

Hants
11-23-2009, 08:21 AM
It wasn't there when we stopped for dinner in on the way back. It WAS there at 2am when I got home.

I don't remember any significant bumps that would have bent the exhaust. We did do a few ledges, but they were mostly slider-scrapes. :dunno:

In looking at the exhaust, it wasn't obvious that it was bent (even knowing it was). I had to really look at the (slight) to see it was mis-aimed. I took a big broomstick and stood on it to bend it back down. The exhaust is STRONG. When I was bending it, the entire pipe back under the frame was moving around.

I'm thinking the long (multi-minute) stretches at 3,850 RPM going over the passes caused enough accumulated heat to do the damage..

Nakman - Thanks! What do I owe you for it? Any chance you can get it to Hulk? I'll be seeing him at the next CM Committee meeting.

timmbuck2
11-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I might see Tim before the next meeting, I can grab it if I do

RockRunner
11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Holy cow that is wild, good thing it did not come into the truck. THe exhaust fumes that is.

Did you go to Moab this last weekend?

Hants
11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes -- thank goodness for keeping the "fresh air" vents open (positive inside pressure), and good seals around the back!

No, this was from the pre-run we did to Moab a few weeks ago. Life keeps interfering in my Cruiser-time, so I'm a bit slow on posting up.

Hants
11-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I might see Tim before the next meeting, I can grab it if I do

That would be great! Thanks!