PDA

View Full Version : T-Case Gear Install Experience?

Air Randy
11-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Anyone have experience installing the Marlin Crawler 4.70 gears into their rear TC? I'm going to drop the lineup out and install a new clutch in the near future, I would like to get the new gears installed at the same time if anyone has done this before and is willing to pitch in. I do have a heated garage.....

Also, anyone have a spare 22RE flywheel laying around? I would like to get a flywheel all resurfaced and ready to go so it's a 1 day project. I can either buy it from you or give you back my current one once it comes out.

timmbuck2
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I think Hatfield is a TC expert and he is not that far away from you. If you need a beer and wrench boy, let me know. Would love to learn some more.

AxleIke
11-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Yes, I have done them. Depending on when you're looking to do it, I'd be happy to lend a hand (this weekend is out: family time and then need to do some maint on my own rig). The following could be good!

DaveInDenver
11-25-2009, 10:47 AM
I have 4.7 in my rear (and front and middle for that matter) case. You might have to clearance the case a little. I bought my case from Marlin and there was some grinding that he did. Otherwise it's pretty easy. Issac has a method that does not require a press, even.

Shark Bait
11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I've done the LC t-case a few times. Not the truck, though. :)

Air Randy
11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes, I have done them. Depending on when you're looking to do it, I'd be happy to lend a hand (this weekend is out: family time and then need to do some maint on my own rig). The following could be good!

No rush, we can do it whenever it's convenient for everyone.

Air Randy
11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=You might have to clearance the case a little. I bought my case from Marlin and there was some grinding that he did.[/QUOTE]

I also have what looks to be a new half of a case from MC. It looks like there has been some grinding done on the inside of it so hopefully that is already taken care of. But, thats why I want to find someone experienced with this stuff. I got all of it in one big box so I'm hoping I have everything need.

DaveInDenver
11-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I also have what looks to be a new half of a case from MC. It looks like there has been some grinding done on the inside of it so hopefully that is already taken care of. But, thats why I want to find someone experienced with this stuff. I got all of it in one big box so I'm hoping I have everything need.
Definitely maybe could be. It's wouldn't be a ton of machining. Marlin sells his gear sets in various kits, one as I recall has the clearanced middle housing section.

AxleIke
11-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd be happy to help Randy.

The clearance can be done with a 4.5" angle grinder: thats how I did mine. It will trash your grinding wheel though, so I suggest a used one.

Are you putting in a twin stick at the same time? I really like mine, I'd highly recommend them.

Red_Chili
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Just a suggestion, if you put the 4.7 in the rear case rather than the front AFAIK the stresses on components aft of it might be a bit less. Plus then you have the normal low in 2WD. That last point becomes moot with a twin stick though.

Meh, Toy mini tcases are robust.

You might think about the heavy duty output shaft that does not have what amounts to a 'fuse' groove machined into it. I have never used one and to date have not had a problem, but since you are in there...

Air Randy
11-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I'd be happy to help Randy.

The clearance can be done with a 4.5" angle grinder: thats how I did mine. It will trash your grinding wheel though, so I suggest a used one.

Are you putting in a twin stick at the same time? I really like mine, I'd highly recommend them.

I may have the MC kit that includes the already modified housing half, then I have the 3 big gears, some of them already have the bearings on them, and I have 3 seals and what looks like metal gaskets for the drain plugs. I also have the full paper gasket set too.

The rig already has twin sticks for the rear case but it has 2.28's in it so I want to put the 4.70's in the rear case plus that is the way MC recommends it be done.

I ordered my new clutch setup from MC on Tuesday so I should have it before the end of next week. I found another flywheel so I'm having it resurfaced and should have it back early next week.

With that in mind, do we want to tentatively set the date for Saturday Dec 5th at my house? Say a start time of 9 AM? If anyone has a preference for ale tell me now, otherwise I usually have Beck's Light. I'll order up pizza at lunch time. Let me know who's coming.

The address is 1376 Columbine Drive, Franktown, CO, let me know if you need directions. Once you pull into the driveway of the house you will see a gravel drive that leads off to the left, take that and follow it around behind the house to the shop.