PDA

View Full Version : 1993 FZJ80 Electrical Short - right rear speaker, dome light and more - Advice needed

Inukshuk
11-26-2009, 06:43 PM
In my 1993 FZJ80 I have an electrical short to ground - affecting the right rear speaker, dome light, clock, keyless entry, open door indicator and alarm. First problem was buzzing speakers when the truck was on, regardless of whether the stereo was on. I pulled the radio/cig fuse and buzz stopped. Then the alarm went off while the truck was running. I stopped that with the key-fob button. Later I put the fuse back in and the alarm was not working but everything else was fine. Then the dome light fuse blew. Before it blew the dome light was dim. Then, weeks later, my speakers stopped working but the subwoofer still worked.

I get continuity to ground at the dome light fuse (fusebox for which is under hood). I get continuity to ground at the wires behind the radio that run to the right rear speaker. With the rear speaker connector disconnected, remaining speakers work fine. Soon I will pull the right rear speaker to determine which wire it is. But I don't think that will matter much since I imagine both speaker wires run side by side to the speaker.

What I am wondering is if anyone have had a problem with the wire bundle the speaker wires run in and how I determine where this bundle is routed to look for the short.

I think the reason that the alarm and keyless entry are out is that the open-door circuit is involved. I recently replaced the drivers door open-door switch, but I have already checked that the switch is still good (and anyway that would not explain my speaker short).

nuclearlemon
11-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Do you Still hZave your fact amp? I had issues like that and itwas the plug for the f t amp

Inukshuk
11-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Is the factory amp located where the speaker was? If so, I think its out but I will check.

nuclearlemon
11-27-2009, 10:48 AM
behind passenger cargo panel. if it is there, make sure you don't have a rust hole in that lower panel that is allowing water into the plug.

Inukshuk
11-27-2009, 01:17 PM
behind passenger cargo panel. if it is there, make sure you don't have a rust hole in that lower panel that is allowing water into the plug.

I verified its all out (speaker and amp) and everything back there was dry. Dusty, but dry, and clean connections. I will clean, grease and tape.

Oh yeah, now everything works. For now. Gremlins. I have not found a flaw. yet. But everything is working as it should. Radio, keyless entry, domes. All work.

Inukshuk
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Ige,
Now I see you have had a similar issue (saw on here and Mud). Mine is all fixed at the moment. I don't know what fixed it, but 7 hours of dusty wires was fun!! As a bonus I disabled that annoying open-door buzzer and cleaned a bunch of stuff. (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/16141-obtuse-free-mods-part-uno-door-seatbelt-buzzer-mod.html)

Is your radio fixed?

nakman
11-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Ige,
Now I see you have had a similar issue (saw on here and Mud). Mine is all fixed at the moment. I don't know what fixed it, but 7 hours of dusty wires was fun!! As a bonus I disabled that annoying open-door buzzer and cleaned a bunch of stuff. (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/16141-obtuse-free-mods-part-uno-door-seatbelt-buzzer-mod.html)

Is your radio fixed?

dude that thread was from like 2004... all the 80 owners had like big bangs back then. Oh wait. :eek:

But glad to see you're fixed up! at least for now.. these are the worst kind of electrical problems, the ones that make you wish you had a 40. :bolt:

Inukshuk
11-28-2009, 09:16 AM
dude that thread was from like 2004... all the 80 owners had like big bangs back then. Oh wait. :eek:

I'm getting a haircut at 11:15 today thank you. So have you disabled your door open buzzer?

Oh, and I will also be reversing the gas door and hood latch pulls. They never made sense to me and I was always accidentally popping the hood at the gas station.