PDA

View Full Version : Something odd

FJ_Mark
11-28-2009, 01:58 PM
I just did a 30K tune up on my FJC. One bank had ND plugs. The other had NGK. Any one ran into this before?

60wag
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Is one side easier to do than the other?

FJ_Mark
11-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Not by much. It had to come from Mr. Toyota that way. I am the original owner. When I worked as a GM tech and in a LC shop I ran across some odd things now and again. I have found the hard to reach plugs with the odd one that the last guy didn't change. But this would have come from the factory.

Jacket
11-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I read about that in the Tacoma forums - fairly common. Tons of theories as to why they are different, but I've never seen any reasonable conclusion drawn. I replaced all 6 of mine with the Denso's at 30k.

DaveInDenver
11-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I read about that in the Tacoma forums - fairly common. Tons of theories as to why they are different, but I've never seen any reasonable conclusion drawn. I replaced all 6 of mine with the Denso's at 30k.
What are those theories? Just curious. I can't remember getting anything but ND (or just Denso) in the red boxes that Jerry gives me, but those are sourced domestically I assume from a Denso plant in NA somewhere. The FJC is assembled in Japan AFAIK, right? Is it a 50/50 thing, giving each company enough work that they guarantee multiple suppliers survive?

Jacket
11-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Is it a 50/50 thing, giving each company enough work that they guarantee multiple suppliers survive?

That's one of them. Others that I recall reading (it's been a while though):

- one side of the assembly line has a box of Densos, and the other a box of NGK's. Completely random
- Part of a "test" to determine if there is a performance variance
- more wear on one side of the engine versus the other demands a different set of plugs

Note that the earlier Tacomas with the 3.4 V6 also had this anomaly present.