PDA

View Full Version : Suspension/Tires Before and After

Telly
11-30-2009, 08:52 AM
I found a set of used 33x9.5 BFG's and stock steelies my 66. I painted the wheels and got the tires mounted up last week. I've been searching for a used set of 2.5" lifted springs for several months (I want the Dakar setup but I'm on a very limited budget). No luck finding a used set so I decided to go with Rzeppa's suggestion to use a jeep add-a-leaf. I removed the springs and broke them down. Then wire wheeled andpainted each leaf. I sprayed each spring with Teflon Dry Wax. The leaf pack in order from top to bottom is 2 stock, AAL, 3 stock. Did not use the bottom two stock leaves. The results were exactly 2" in front and 1" in the rear. I was hoping for 2" in the rear but it clears the 33" with no problem. In the future, I plan to add extended shackles for just a bit more lift. Ride quality is very nice and I spent only $120 bucks on the AAL's. Doug

jettaglxdriver
11-30-2009, 08:59 AM
very cool

subzali
11-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Sweet! Looks great! Looks like you need to fix the exhaust too!

Telly
11-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Sweet! Looks great! Looks like you need to fix the exhaust too!

Agreed! It's got a dual exhaust (V8) so it's like that on both sides. I was thinking of starting a new thread about ideas for a dual or single exhaust location towards the back of the rig.

subzali
11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
I've seen some threads on MUD where people have posted up pictures of their V8 dual exhausts...folks from Rising Sun like Ige (nuclearlemon) and Dave Brown (Red Fox) may have pictures of their dual exhaust setups...

RicardoJM
11-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Very nice looking:thumb:. Is the ride "as soft" as it was without the AAL? I know that it is a subjective measure and I've heard that the AAL say it is just as smooth and also that it is much stiffer. What is your thought on the comparison?

Telly
11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Very nice looking:thumb:. Is the ride "as soft" as it was without the AAL? I know that it is a subjective measure and I've heard that the AAL say it is just as smooth and also that it is much stiffer. What is your thought on the comparison?

I bought the rig 6 months ago and honestly did not much driving time before the mod. One other thing I did was replace all the bushings. Mine were absolutely toast. I had metal on metal contact!:eek:

The ride quality is not too stiff but not soft enough that the truck sways around corners. The rear seems more stiff than the front. I'm pretty happy with the turnout but by no means is it as good as my 97 with a FOR lift.

Hulk
11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Your rig certainly looks much improved!

PabloCruise
11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow - consider yourself lucky finding a set of 33x9.5 MT's

I had been hunting for a set and gave up.

Jacket
11-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Looks great! The stance seems perfect to me.

DaveInDenver
11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
40 looks good Telly.
Wow - consider yourself lucky finding a set of 33x9.5 MT's
Yeah, it's unfortunate that they stopped making them, but the MT tread is about 0.5" more narrow than the AT in same size carcasses and made the 33x9.50 MT a really skinny tire IMHO. The 33x10.50 MT I think is a pretty nice balance between pizza cutter and float on lighter rigs like a 40 or mini.
Looks great! The stance seems perfect to me.
Maybe do with a little taller in the back, it would seem like it'll be pretty nose high when loaded for camping. No biggie.

PabloCruise
11-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Dave, do you think the 33x9.5 AT is too narrow?

I ask b/c the 9.5 is supposed to fit a non-lifted Pig w/o issue.

And, the reality is that the Pig will not be committed to hard wheeling, so the AT will be more appropriate for street miles...

DaveInDenver
11-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Dave, do you think the 33x9.5 AT is too narrow?

I ask b/c the 9.5 is supposed to fit a non-lifted Pig w/o issue.

And, the reality is that the Pig will not be committed to hard wheeling, so the AT will be more appropriate for street miles...
I really like the 33x9.50, especially on narrow stock rims. Probably be going back to them next time I need tires. That width in 30x9.50 and 33x9.50 has always worked well for me on snowy roads.

nuclearlemon
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I've seen some threads on MUD where people have posted up pictures of their V8 dual exhausts...folks from Rising Sun like Ige (nuclearlemon) and Dave Brown (Red Fox) may have pictures of their dual exhaust setups...

mine was actually a single exhaust with dual pipes out. a good single exhaust will tune better than a dual exhaust. two things i didn't like about my exhaust were that it was one piece, so when i had to pull oil pan to fix rear main seals (common on cheby's), it required a lot of work to get the exhaust down, and that it was run pretty much down the middle in the back, which meant i was going to have to reroute it if i wanted to add another fuel tank.

btw, rig looks great!!

Telly
11-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments. Now I need to figure out the best/safest method to mount the spare. Mud as several good posts on the subject. I like the 1"x2" box steel method that extends the carrier plate up and out.

wesintl
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
the spare should mount on there wo issues..

Nice lookin cruiser. What are those original rims?

Telly
12-01-2009, 08:28 AM
the spare should mount on there wo issues..
Nice lookin cruiser. What are those original rims?

I tried without success. The tire hangs over the lever that opens the rear gate. Looks like I need raise the mount 1 or 2" to clear it.

I have no idea on the rims and I need them out of my garage. They don't have any stamps. They would make great rollers for a project rig.