PDA

View Full Version : V8 Exhaust Options

Telly
11-30-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm done with my suspension/tires upgrade and next on the list is rerouting the dual exhaust setup. I've got a 350 V8 with ram horn exahaust manifolds. I want to go inside the frame rails and exit behind the rear tires and the spring shackle. I would not be against going into one muffler and tail pipe too. Any ideas or pictures would be greatly apprieciated. Doug

subzali
11-30-2009, 11:29 AM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/246154-my-1970-build-thread-6.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/270354-350-exhaust.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377731&highlight=vee

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/47645-ramhorn-single-exhaust-just-got-done.html

TIMZTOY
11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Let me know what route you take. Because I've also got a 350 in a 40 and need to run true duels. I'd be interested to see what route you chose.

Corbet
11-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I did not click the links Matt posted but I would run your passenger side under the SBC oil pan (assuming engine placement will allow) and link both sides with y-pipe then route out the rear with 2.5"

FJBRADY
12-01-2009, 04:12 AM
I did not click the links Matt posted but I would run your passenger side under the SBC oil pan (assuming engine placement will allow) and link both sides with y-pipe then route out the rear with 2.5"

X2...........my 40 has dual exhaust that routes as Corbet mentions and terminates in the rear wheel wells. I am out of town at the moment but I can take pics and post up where the work was done when I return later in the week.

Telly
12-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Looks like the "Walker Pipe" is a common method of routing the passenger side exhaust under the oil pan and tie into the drivers side pipe.

FJ Bradley, a couple pictures would be great. I plan to take them to my muffler shop for some visual aids.

My only concern is the exhaust heat under the oil pan. Would you suggest a heat shield or not worry about it?

Thanks. Doug

subzali
12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't know what the issue is with running the exhaust straight back from the passenger side bank, maybe the frame gets in the way, or possibly the front driveshaft/t-case? But yes it seems that a lot of people cross it under the oil pan. A couple people put up some heat shields, others didn't seem to worry about it. Just make sure you can get to your drain plug and oil filter!

TIMZTOY
12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't know what the issue is with running the exhaust straight back from the passenger side bank, maybe the frame gets in the way, or possibly the front driveshaft/t-case? But yes it seems that a lot of people cross it under the oil pan. A couple people put up some heat shields, others didn't seem to worry about it. Just make sure you can get to your drain plug and oil filter!

The transfercase takes up every square inch of room on that side. Not even a 1/4" of clearance. You could go under it but why!! That's the new lowest point then. Ya can exit right off the ram horn out to the outside of the frame but it makes for a really tight bend. Going under the oil pan is the eaisest way to route but can cause extra heat. Just make sure it dosent block your oil filter (FJbrady had that issue) and either make sure it's low enough to remove the oil pan or make that section with a flange in order to remove the cross over. To access the oilpan removal. (think ahead). I'm probelly going to go the route that bruiser did. But under the frame Between the leaf mounts with block huggers and run the pashenger side out side the frame and notch the body mount for clearance. (less pipe, and un-restricted access to the oil pan w/ no heat issues)

Corbet
12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
From the pictures on MUD it looked like the "walker pipe" blocked the oil filter? I used a flowMaster y-pipe when we built the exhaust on my 60. We stacked them vertically and then sent the single tube to a muffler and I dump straight down towards the ground directly behind the rear axle. I did have a little more room with a 60 as the frame rails are what 3" further apart?

My only mistake was giving the oil pan too much clearance and I had to drop my bump stops and inch to keep my front diff from contacting the cross over.

And as Tim said going back passenger side is not possible above and between the frame rails from memory. Either cross under the oil pan or go outside the frame rails.

FJBRADY
12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Here you go....everything is high and tight along the drivers side. The oil filter is 6 inches or so above the twin pipes right next to the drain plug. Man I made a mess the last oil change...........the spill oil burns off the pipes within a couple miles.

waggoner5
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I like Steves system of true duals, but would probably not go to that extreme on a TBI. You can get a great sound with a single exhaust as well as much easier maintenance. I use standard 2" down pipes off of the manifolds into a 3" single exhaust system. I presently have a 50 series Flowmaster midship and a Magnaflow shorty at the rear. This gives me the sound I was looking for, but in a quiet way. I know its 2 mufflers, but I could not find 1 that gave me the sound I wanted.

subzali
12-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Gary, was the Flowmaster too loud by itself? Or just not the right tone?

I loved the sound Ige posted up on the MUD thread - thinking of doing something similar to my Tundra when the time comes...I really really really don't like the dual angled chrome tailpipes (especially since the PO didn't balance the banks so it kinda bangs and pops as I go through the rpms)...:rant: I want to run a single out the passenger side just behind the rear wheel. Basically the same as the stock Tundra setup, just bigger pipe and different muffler.

Telly
12-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I have true duals with Flowmaster Delta 50's on my big block 68 camaro. It is LOUD when you romp it but tolerable on the highway. I'm thinking a single Magnaflow or Dynamax for a deep mellow tone for my 40. A Flowmaster sound in a 40 doesn't seem right to me...the damn thing is loud enough as it is.

FJBrady, those pics are NICE. What muffler shop did the work? I have a guy the Colorado Springs that is pretty good with custom stuff but I might consider going up north too.

Doug

FJBRADY
12-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Bestway Muffler & Brakes in Denver.
303 757-3305

They used Magna Flow 12214 mufflers.....real quiet below 3K rpm

waggoner5
12-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Mine was way too loud for me. Sounded great at idle, but around 1800 rpm things got nasty. Adding the Magnaflow at the back made it perfect.

rover67
12-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I like Steves system of true duals, but would probably not go to that extreme on a TBI. You can get a great sound with a single exhaust as well as much easier maintenance. I use standard 2" down pipes off of the manifolds into a 3" single exhaust system. I presently have a 50 series Flowmaster midship and a Magnaflow shorty at the rear. This gives me the sound I was looking for, but in a quiet way. I know its 2 mufflers, but I could not find 1 that gave me the sound I wanted.

I have used the 70 series RV muffler on a few V-8's and they are quiet and have a nice rumble. That's what's on the 60 right now for those that have heard it.. it also has two cats which quiet things down some too though.

It is 2 2 1/2" ins and a single 3" out.

I agree with Gary, I think 2 2" pipes from headers to the mufflers is plenty though, and with no cats the 70 series sounds nice.. it's just big.

Telly
12-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Bestway Muffler & Brakes in Denver.
303 757-3305

They used Magna Flow 12214 mufflers.....real quiet below 3K rpm

Do you recall how much the setup set you back?

FJBRADY
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Invoice dated 11/23/96 $676.00

Included exhaust pipe
Mufflers
Oxygen sensor
Labor
Tax

subzali
12-04-2009, 09:25 AM
wow that's fast to go back 13 years! :eek:

Telly
02-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Thought I'd post up some pictures of the exhaust I had installed a few weeks ago on my 66 V-8 40. Installed by Front Range Muffler in C/S, Labor/Material/Tax = $345.00. The muffler is a Walker turbo muffler with 2.5" pipe. I'm very pleased with the results.

Telly
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
A couple more pics.

FJBRADY
02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Looks great!