PDA

View Full Version : Help a guy out with Stereo stuff

AxleIke
12-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Bear with me, as I am an audio newb.

I love to listen to music in my truck. I don't want to pay for high quality sound, and currently have a 60 dollar target special stereo, and all of 60 or 70 bucks into 4 speakers.

I hate having a CD player. I have Sirius radio and an IPOD. A CD deck takes up an absurd amount of room for something I don't use at all any more, plus, even though it is a cheap pile of crap, its a target for theft.

In anticipation of becoming less secure (soft top hopefully), I want some way to have secure sound. I can easily build something locking for the satellite radio and the IPod, but the deck is harder, and I hadn't found a solution until recently.

I saw on Pirate a guy selling and IPOD set up for buggies. It was a marine Amp, with 2 speakers and a connecting wire that had a headphone jack on one end and went to those two connectors on the other, to plug into the amp (red/white, may or may not be called RCA jacks).

I'm assuming this works by the AMP providing power to the speakers and the volume adjust on the IPOD.

This won't work quite for me.

Three issues:

One, I need 2 inputs. From what I saw of his amp, it had only plugs for one input, as it was designed to come from a stereo. I want to run duals so I can have a loose cord for my IPOD, and one that runs into a fixed area that I will build into my new center console for the satellite radio, so It won't rattle.

Two, I need volume control somehow. The satellite radio has an output which takes a headphone jack, but has no way to control the volume.

Three, I don't need the speakers, and they are part of a package deal, at least right now.

So, I guess my two questions are: One, can someone provide me with a term to find the double input device? I've tried that term, a "splitter" a "input combine", etc...and not found what I'm looking for. I'd like selectable, or some way to insure that I don't somehow get feed back from one to the other (say a loose jack rumbling around inside the truck and grounding out on something). Two, How do I control the volume? Is something as simple as a potentiometer what I need? I'm not sure even what type to get there, by which I mean, how many ohm range do I need? Is there a product? I searched "external volume control" and didn't find much. Didn't know what else to try.

Thanks for any help? I've never really understood stereo stuff.

TIMZTOY
12-04-2009, 12:42 AM
the simple answer to your questions is to buy a slightlly better quality radio/head unit..

other wise your going to have to buy 2 or 3 splitters.. one for every cable
and i dont know of any way to add a audio adjuster.. because good or even better quality raidos have a external volume adjuster cabled into the back of the head unit.. so id just spend a tad more and get a cheap head unit, just spend a tad more than ya already did.

AxleIke
12-04-2009, 01:07 AM
the simple answer to your questions is to buy a slightlly better quality radio/head unit..

other wise your going to have to buy 2 or 3 splitters.. one for every cable
and i dont know of any way to add a audio adjuster.. because good or even better quality raidos have a external volume adjuster cabled into the back of the head unit.. so id just spend a tad more and get a cheap head unit, just spend a tad more than ya already did.

See, I already have a set up that is just fine in terms of sound, and playing all the stuff I want.

I want to get rid of the head unit completely. I want to be able to mount the amp somewhere out of sight/in the back don't care, just not in the dash. I want to run cables up to my center console for the two media devices, so they can be secured.

DaveInDenver
12-04-2009, 06:59 AM
First thing is not to worry Isaac, what you want to do is not difficult. You need to figure out a couple of things, though.

The iPod and the sat radio unit models would help. The levels of the outputs need to be figured out. If they are both fixed line level, adjustable line level, headphone, etc. I believe that getting a fixed line out of both should be possible and that would be the best place to start. The iPod has both line and headphone outputs, but getting the line level requires the connector at the bottom. That will be the most difficult & expensive part, but that's because it requires hacking up a cable from Apple to get what you want. On the upside with the cable then it'll also charge for you.

Also don't assume that a 1/8" jack is only for headphones, although the red/white plugs (you are likely right about the RCA) almost definitely are. But matching headphones to RCA (this is call a line level) can be done, too.

I would suggest a little mixer essentially, nothing fancy. Two volume knobs or maybe one volume with a source select. In either case we're talking hitting Radio Shack for maybe a dozen parts and a little box. If we have to buy everything new, iPod cable, etc, you're probably looking at $40 tops, I dunno.

AxleIke
12-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Awesome Dave! Great stuff!

Okay, the Ipod is the Older NANO version. I have no problem hacking up wires and am quite good at soldering and electrical stuff (do a lot of it at work). How do I figure out what the output is on the IPOD, IE, I'm guessing with the wire modification, it'd be fixed line level.

I'll have to get back to you on the Sat radio. I'd imagine its also fixed line level.

Thanks!

DaveInDenver
12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
iPod connector ($2.39):
http://www.chargeconverter.com/shop/connector.htm

http://www.chargeconverter.com/shop/white.jpg

iPod pin-out:
http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

A couple of RCA connectors and a length of cable will be cheap.

There you go, line-out on the iPod part engineering is done. ;-)

Two input mixer schematic:

That's about $5 in parts and we'll build it on perf board.

Just need to figure out the Sirius receiver and see if we can get a line level out on it. I'm sure there's a complex expensive solution to be found, but we'll leave that to Cruiser drivers.

AxleIke
12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Dave, you rock! I'm going to head over to JB Saunders here in the next few days and buy all the components to make this work, (JB is SOOOO much better than radio shack, they've got just about everything a guy could want). LOTS better customer service too.

I'm sure there's a complex expensive solution to be found, but we'll leave that to Cruiser drivers.

That is going in my signature. Thanks!

Red_Chili
12-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Wouldn't it be simpler to get a Tuffy box and put the stereo of your choice in it?
Oh, sure, today you like your cheap stereo, but tomorrow...
Besides, toonz are the best solution for driveline noise.
:lmao:

DaveInDenver
12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Just remembered, need to provide power back to the iPod and so there's DC converter that'll have to be included. No worries on that, we can come up with something.

DaveInDenver
12-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Wouldn't it be simpler to get a Tuffy box and put the stereo of your choice in it?
No man, DJ AxleIke gonna be rockin' da hoopty.
Oh, sure, today you like your cheap stereo, but tomorrow...
Besides, toonz are the best solution for driveline noise.
Right on!

AxleIke
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
LOL!

Tuffy box no fit in Baby Beast....Tranny tunnel is too high. It would become a nice wall between the passenger and myself.

DC converter isn't an issue at all.

And for driveline noise, I'm close to a solution I hope. Robbie brought his new chassis ears to breakfast this morning and we took a little listen:

Driver side wheel bearing is BAD. Whoo boy. Passenger is less bad, but still not good. Some grumbling with the output on the tcase too.

Looks like 300,000 miles is the limit on these bearings. Not bad really.

Red_Chili
12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Looks like 300,000 miles is the limit on these bearings. Not bad really.
Call me compulsive. I replaced mine at 170K.

Then you can call me stupid, because I went full floater after that. DOH!

AxleIke
12-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Boy, full floater has been circling around in my mind....

Funny thing is, with good PP semi float shafts, new bearings seals, etc from Marlin, you are only a few hundred shy of the FF kit.

I'm just not in a position to fork out the cash right now. I'm going to wait on FF stuff and just order Marlin's kit.

Red_Chili
12-04-2009, 11:40 PM
The FRORF full floater kit also boasts better brakes. It is a win win.

Then you can do the rears with the same tools as the WBPP folks! :lmao:
FWIW, if I had it to do over, I would do the Celica calipers with the mechanical ebrake. Just sayin'.

My goodness, this thread met attention deficit disorder, didn't it!

AxleIke
12-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Yes it did, but I don't mind. I've got my answer, and dreaming about FF never hurt anyone, right?

DaveInDenver
12-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I picked up a few of those iPod connectors, I need to make a line level out and power cord for my iPhone so that I can play it through a stereo, too. In any case I have total of 4 connectors if you want one of them. I could probably say with certainly that after about Jan 13 or so I should be flexible on time. We should breadboard a mixer to see how that works, the rest is mostly just fabbing cables.

AxleIke
12-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Stoked! I can't wait Dave!

I'm looking to pick up parts here shortly!

Beater
12-31-2009, 09:14 AM
why make your own? why not just a 1/8 to rca? I mean the sound quality of mp3's bites anyways, so why make a big deal? In the truck I run two cables to a bracketron holder, or stick it in the ashtray. I need a usb and 110 power source for my work anyway, so it's a no brainer for me.

DaveInDenver
12-31-2009, 09:17 AM
why make your own? why not just a 1/8 to rca? I mean the sound quality of mp3's bites anyways, so why make a big deal? In the truck I run two cables to a bracketron holder, or stick it in the ashtray. I need a usb and 110 power source for my work anyway, so it's a no brainer for me.
iPods don't have a line out into an 1/8" plug, line level sits in the bottom connector. The plug was a couple of bucks. Need the plug for power anyway and it's nice not to have a ton of wires coming out from all over. MP3s sound fine, can't really be discerning over the whine of gears, next-to-open exhaust, BFG MTs and a tin can cabin. Sometimes I feel like wearing earplugs, so that I can't make out details in a Dvorzak 5th symphony encoded 128Kbps MP3 isn't surprising.

AxleIke
12-31-2009, 12:52 PM

Not following this?

How do you switch between the two, and how do you control volume?

My entire goal here is to get rid of the head unit completely. I hate it, it takes up tons of space, and its a theft target. I don't care about sound quality anyway, as one: I don't listen to that cool of music, and two: trying to make anything sound good in a car, especially a first gen 4runner, is as pointless as it gets. Even in nice cars, you still have road noise to deal with.

Beater
01-02-2010, 10:58 AM
once the unit is hooked up to the jack, you set line level volume on the ipod to max. Then control with the head unit's volume. Lots of decks now have aux input connectors sold to go to the cd changer control. Check into that if you just want to put it in the glove box.

j

jacdaw
01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I got a Dual brand cassette deck from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $25. 50 watts and 1/8" aux input on the face. Looks like crap but sounds awesome. No one would think to steal it and the tuner hears my Sirius perfectly. Ipod in the aux jack.
It even has pre-outs to feed my subs. Spent the real $$ on door speakers. Voilla!

AxleIke
01-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah, but just don't want a head unit.

All I want is two small jacks and a volume control, so I can tuck everything away in a locked area. Amp will go in the back somewhere behind a panel. Computer is going where the head unit currently sits.

jacdaw
01-02-2010, 03:20 PM
In my MGB I ran an RCA to 1/8" stereo cable between my ipod and my amp. The big bits sat on the rear shelf and the iPod was Velcro'd to the center console. I ran a switch to the "switched" lugs that normally get triggered by the head unit to power on the amp. Worked great. No fancy parts needed. The only scenario where adjusting volume would suck is with your Sirius.

DaveInDenver
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
All I want is two small jacks and a volume control, so I can tuck everything away in a locked area.
I have not forgotten about this Isaac! Should have something rigged up in the next couple of weeks to mess with. Looks like it will end up being in a black plastic box about 5" x 3" x 2" (just what I could find laying about) with a couple of volume knobs and two stereo inputs and a single stereo output. If it works out you can buy it from me for whatever the components are worth plus a beer or 12.

AxleIke
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Dave, you rock man! I would like to sit down with you over the beers and see all the guts too, if that works. I'm sorry I've been delinquent in pursuing this myself, but I'm working on new steering stuff, and thats been consuming the free time I have, and since work has been exceptionally busy, I'm short on free time too!

Thanks again!

DaveInDenver
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Dave, you rock man! I would like to sit down with you over the beers and see all the guts too, if that works. I'm sorry I've been delinquent in pursuing this myself, but I'm working on new steering stuff, and thats been consuming the free time I have, and since work has been exceptionally busy, I'm short on free time too!

Thanks again!
Nah, no biggie. It's a hobby and my job anyway. I also just had a dope slap moment when I realized that pots I have are not dual ganged (I've built a mono mixer, not stereo). :doh: