PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I posted this or not

RockRunner
12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I have my 85 4Runner that needs a new tank. Found one but it is from an 88 and 17 gallons vs 14. Will this tank fit? I don't see why not, maybe a little different mounting set up but I do not believe the body changed any the frame maybe.

Anybody have any ideas?:o

Red_Chili
12-04-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't know for sure... but geez, nothing changed... go for it!
On the other hand... I am pretty sure my 17 gallon tank now holds only 15 gallons. :lmao:

powderpig
12-05-2009, 07:05 AM
I remember my 85 runner had a 17 gallon tank. I had also added a 14 gallon tank for long range tank. But I do remember filling up well over 28 gallons at times. I love exteneded range tanks.

Red_Chili
12-05-2009, 09:21 AM
But then you still have a 22RE to pull it around. Gas isn't as heavy as water though!

DaveInDenver
12-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I would guess that if anything it might be deeper, i.e. hang lower. Can't imagine the mount is any different. As far as the 22R, there's only so slow you're gonna go so might as well be able to stretch fill ups. One of the things I've always wanted to do is replace the spare with a fuel tank like the old Downey. Having 39 gallons on board at 20 MPG, almost diesel like in range and would be just about as fast. It's just money that we don't have.

TIMZTOY
12-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I'd be willing to bet that modification is in order. Either the straps or clearance on the ends. You won't know for sure till ya drop them both down and sit them next to each other. Nothing a little faberication can't fix

RockRunner
12-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I remember my 85 runner had a 17 gallon tank. I had also added a 14 gallon tank for long range tank. But I do remember filling up well over 28 gallons at times. I love exteneded range tanks.

Did you buy the actual extended range tank or another Toyota tank. I think I am going to try and do what Isaac did with his, moved it between the frame rails in the rear spare tire area.

RockRunner
12-05-2009, 08:39 PM
I would guess that if anything it might be deeper, i.e. hang lower. Can't imagine the mount is any different. As far as the 22R, there's only so slow you're gonna go so might as well be able to stretch fill ups. One of the things I've always wanted to do is replace the spare with a fuel tank like the old Downey. Having 39 gallons on board at 20 MPG, almost diesel like in range and would be just about as fast. It's just money that we don't have.

That is what I thought to Dave, hanging lover so I am getting his skid plate to just in case. I am more and more thinking about doing the Isaac tank idea, I hate having to stop or fear I may run out in the back country. Don't have to fill both tanks all the time but maybe keep 3-6 gallons in it so it keeps the tank "clean"

RockRunner
12-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I'd be willing to bet that modification is in order. Either the straps or clearance on the ends. You won't know for sure till ya drop them both down and sit them next to each other. Nothing a little faberication can't fix

No worries, got the plasma cutter and welder at hand so I can cut into the tank if need be:eek: JK, I thought about that too, we'll just have to wait and see.

AxleIke
12-06-2009, 09:51 PM

I'm pretty sure they are the same.

No straps on any early truck tank I've seen. Should just be mounts at both ends on the xmembers. I'd be surprised if they made different chassis for the various Runners, since I'm pretty sure another guy I know has a 17 gal in his 85.

In fact, I didn't know they came with a 14.

RockRunner
12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I picked it up today an it looks about the same. Whenever my rig is on empty I am lucky to get 12 gl in it and on eBay they sell the 12 or 17 gl ones. That is how I found out about the size difference, goign to check my books.

RockRunner
12-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Just found this, I love Google:D

1988 v6 sr5

SPECTRA FUEL TANK, 17 GALLONS/64 LITERS -- 37 in. length; 16 in. width; 13-3/8 in. height; With lock ring and pan; Does not include seals and filler; Every unit is 100 percent tested and manufactured using American-made OEM approved Ni-Terne LT35 steel; Direct fit OE replacement fuel tank; Manufactured under ISO 9001 quality systems; With Spectra's 3-year warranty.

1985 DLX 4 cyl

SPECTRA FUEL TANK, 17 GALLONS/64 LITERS -- 37 in. length; 16 in. width; 13-3/8 in. height; With lock ring and pan; Does not include seals and filler; Every unit is 100 percent tested and manufactured using American-made OEM approved Ni-Terne LT35 steel; Direct fit OE replacement fuel tank; Manufactured under ISO 9001 quality systems; With Spectra's 3-year warranty.

Looks like they are the same, wonder if my sending unit is of telling me I am out when I still have a 1/4 tank or so. We'll see, the new one has everything included so all I need to do is slap it in:D