PDA

View Full Version : Camp Hale Run - July, 23,24,25

farnhamstj
12-06-2009, 04:53 PM
It's a long way off but I'm trying to guage interest in a Family friendly overnighter at Camp Hale. We did it a few years ago as GTR, but I think there's enough interst to do it as an event next summer? I'm thinking July or August? The schedule get's full fast. Moderate difficulty, scenic driving, kind of stuff. :thumb:

bh4rnnr
12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm in:cool:, and i'll even avoid riding in Treeroots rig when were in the camp ground:eek::hill:.

TIMZTOY
12-06-2009, 06:04 PM
my wife and i are in.. no family though just a dog

SRT08BUS
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I'd love 2 go,but depends on the date. I've been wanting to do a trail and/or camp there for a while!

Hulk
12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
We'd probably come up again. That was a fun trip last time.

RockRunner
12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
What is the location of this trip, sorry I always forget the areas I go to or have been.

Mendocino
12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I assume that this (http://www.camphale.org/index.htm) is the Camp Hale you are referring to.

nanuk
12-07-2009, 08:07 AM
As long as you would let in a neighbor from your southern brothers (Colorado Landcruisers) I would be in for it.

Red_Chili
12-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Drove past there in elk season, when we were hankerin' for a fine meal at a decent price in Leadville (as opposed to, say, Minturn... :( ). It would make a great combo with Holy Cross. I am in depending on the date, length of trip, etc.

RockRunner
12-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Sounds good depending on the dates. I saw the map and like the area a lot so we'll see.

Jacket
12-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Sounds great. We'd be in.

Beachboy
12-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Depending on dates, sounds good.

Rezarf
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Perhaps the best place I have wheeled in Colorado, I'd be in... depending on the dates.

Drew

farnhamstj
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Cool, seem like a great deal of interest. Correct ,it is just a few minutes away from HC trail. But,that's a pretty tough trail. I'm thinking Saturday loop up McAllister's gulch to Lime creek, up Wearymans, down Resolution back to camp. Sunday do Yoder gulch. Camp Hale is US Forest land dispersed camping is allowed. Based on the number of people we could always split into 2 groups. There are a few interesting ways to get there and back. Mosquito pass and Shrine are a couple options.

July 23,24,25? if anyone knows of conflicts please sugest other dates.

Red_Chili
12-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Sounds grand. A subgroup could do HC if wanted.

SRT08BUS
12-10-2009, 01:02 PM
If possible we could have a "stock" or "unlocked" group and a "rock" group, the rock group hitting HC or like trails, and try to have a meet of both groups some where in the middle.
I know I have a way of complicating things.

bh4rnnr
12-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Cool, seem like a great deal of interest. Correct ,it is just a few minutes away from HC trail. But,that's a pretty tough trail. I'm thinking Saturday loop up McAllister's gulch to Lime creek, up Wearymans, down Resolution back to camp. Sunday do Yoder gulch. Camp Hale is US Forest land dispersed camping is allowed. Based on the number of people we could always split into 2 groups. There are a few interesting ways to get there and back. Mosquito pass and Shrine are a couple options.

July 23,24,25? if anyone knows of conflicts please sugest other dates.

Might want to confirm with Groucho, that's usualy around the Ghost Town Run;).

:beer:

farnhamstj
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't want to step on any toes. I really enjoy the GTR and plan to attend that event. My hope is to be the weekend before or after GTR. Our club has grown quite large. As such club runs are becoming 26+ trucks. Some people might attend both events, some one or the other. Perhaps we'd end with 18 trucks one week and 18 the next. Don't get me wrong I enjoy seeing everyone.

MDH33
12-10-2009, 10:11 PM
... Our club has grown quite large. As such club runs are becoming 26+ trucks. Some people might attend both events, some one or the other. Perhaps we'd end with 18 trucks one week and 18 the next. Don't get me wrong I enjoy seeing everyone.

There's Always room for another run. Awesome you're taking the initiative to start one. 20+ rigs on a trail run just doesn't work all the time.

:thumb:

Hulk
12-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Sounds grand. A subgroup could do HC if wanted.

Yeah, I've always wanted to run it.

Red_Chili
12-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I could lead the HC part. Sans Cleveland Rock, thank you. :lmao:

If early enough, a good end to the day would be a hike NE from the mid-4x4 trail parking lot (where the one way becomes a two way trail). There is a game trail there that I hunt. Beautiful. And you never know what you might see ;).

For that matter it would make a great snowshoeing expedition this time of year... if getting to it is possible.

Rock Dog
12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
i would love to do that area again...

RockRunner
12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I could lead the HC part. Sans Cleveland Rock, thank you. :lmao:

You never know by then you may have a little scratch on your Tcase:eek:

For that matter it would make a great snowshoeing expedition this time of year... if getting to it is possible.

That would be a cool place if they have enough snow. Of course once I get up there I would want to try to to run the trail:o Just because it is there:rolleyes:

I just talked to Sharon and we put it on the calendar in PENCIL:thumb: As time goes on I will be looking for a pen to write over the pencil:D

Rotorgeek
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
If possible we could have a "stock" or "unlocked" group and a "rock" group, the rock group hitting HC or like trails, and try to have a meet of both groups some where in the middle.
I know I have a way of complicating things.

I like this idea, not as many on one trail AND I can be in the stock/unlocked group.:cheers:

nuclearlemon
01-06-2010, 04:41 PM
might check to see if you can still remote camp there. some jerk from the east came out and saw people remote camping and had a fit that they were camping in a national historic monument and was going to put a stop to it. if he did, that means only camping in the campground, which may be fairly full.

MDH33
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
might check to see if you can still remote camp there. some jerk from the east came out and saw people remote camping and had a fit that they were camping in a national historic monument and was going to put a stop to it. if he did, that means only camping in the campground, which may be fairly full.

More details please. ;)

nuclearlemon
01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
More details please. ;)

some senator...that's all i know.

farnhamstj
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
There have been some closures in some area. There was no shortage of dispersed campers there this fall. http://www.camphale.org/
I'll contact the Forest Service in Minturn to verify we are good. I'll keep everyone posted.

farnhamstj
02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Spoke to someone today. There is a group site available to book http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&&contractCode=nrso&parkCode=eaf1

Dispersed camping is allowed within 300ft of US forest numbered road. So we could still camp for free. There was a "gathering limit of 50 people" or a special use permit is required. The "special use" person is calling me back. If we are an "organized" group a permit is required. If we are disorganized then we're good. What I'm trying to figure out is if I book the site, are we then organized? Also anyone got a rough idea of people? I *think* we have to stay under 20 rigs, So I estimate 50ish people? I'll get a permit if that's what's required.

wesintl
02-05-2010, 11:59 AM
If we are disorganized then we're good.

Depends on the perspective. To the FS we would be organized. To us.. mostly disorganized :hill: :lmao:

SRT08BUS
02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I would say just see about the group thing and play it safe. I would personally would donate $50 or $60 for the cause.

farnhamstj
04-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Group campsite is not available. So we will be dispursed camping at Camp Hale or Homestake rd. Plan is to split into 2 groups for trails. A difficult and less difficult group. More details as we get closer.

Put it on the Calander July, 23,24,25

RicardoJM
04-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Put it on the Calander July, 23,24,25

With the dates set, I made this a sticky and modified the post title to include the dates. Farnham, thanks for your work in putting this run together. :thumb:

RedCreeper
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Im thinking of maybe joining in on this one. If i can get stuff done by then to the JEEPTOY. haha Not knowing the area that well is it trailer accessable? That long of a ride i would like to trailer it there.

Air Randy
04-14-2010, 10:30 AM
If it's the same area we stayed when we ran Holy Cross last year, yes, it's very easy to trailer up. Myself, UB and several others trailered up.

Dee and I are tentatively signed up for this, we would want to run with the Holy Cross group.

RedCreeper
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
If it's the same area we stayed when we ran Holy Cross last year, yes, it's very easy to trailer up. Myself, UB and several others trailered up.

Dee and I are tentatively signed up for this, we would want to run with the Holy Cross group.

Thanks Randy, I am in as a maybe then if you guys don't mind a Jeep in the mix. I have some work to do so i am more comfortable with it like a 1350 on the 9in and a solid front driveshaft, so if i get it done and timing is right i would be in for the HC group. Oh and i need to get the trailer registered. whew lots to do and not much time.

JadeRunner
04-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm in. I'll have my two little kids with me and no wife. I'll be laid off by then and home with this kids so I will be able to do more of this kind of thing.

Tent camping sounds good. I want the kids to get used to camping without the pop-up. I want to run Yoder Gulch and the difficult runs. Look forward to it. Thanks for setting this up Farnham.

Old40Dog
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
We're in for 2. Idelle & me.

Zach will be in Italy.

I'd like to take the 40 on HC.

Cheeseman
04-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm off to the National Jamboree for Scouts that 2 weeks. That is a great area and place of our history to go visit.
________
Interracial videos (http://www.****tube.com/categories/25/interracial/videos/1)

spcruiser
05-16-2010, 06:18 PM
If you would have us, I would love to bring the family up and run Holy Cross, Have wanted to run that trail for some time. We may have a conflict in schedule but I should have a firm yes or no within the next two weeks.

farnhamstj
05-16-2010, 10:02 PM
The more the merrier. Holy Cross is a great trail but not for the faint of heart. Yoder gulch is another good trail in that area that not too many people have done. McAllister gulch, Lime Creek, Wearimans, Ptarmigan, Shrine pass, Hagerman, Mosquito. Lots of choices.

nakman
05-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Farnham we're in for camping.. save us a spot, eh? and we're down for whatever run all the screaming kids will be on.. :)

RedCreeper
05-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Farnham we're in for camping.. save us a spot, eh? and we're down for whatever run all the screaming kids will be on.. :)

Is that the little kiddies or the bigger kiddies? ;)

farnhamstj
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
The ones that like Playmobil, remote control cars, model rockets, and setting marshmellows on fire.

RedCreeper
05-20-2010, 11:15 AM
The ones that like Playmobil, remote control cars, model rockets, and setting marshmellows on fire.

Got it.... the bigger kiddies..... :thumb:

subzali
05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
:lmao: :lmao:

we'll see, thinking it probably won't happen unless I'm riding orange :cool:

farnhamstj
05-21-2010, 10:16 PM
39 25'52.79" N
106 18'50.42" W

Camp Hale is 17 miles South of the Town of Minturn. Hwy 24. I presume most people will take I-70. Exit hwy 24.s to Minturn. Shop and Hop is the last gas. Continue South another 17 miles. Turn left(East) in to Camp Hale. There is a sign for campground and other historical information. I'll add the name of the road when i figure it out. Follow dirt road about 1/4 mile to a T junction. Turn rt(South). go aprox 3/4 you'll see us on the side of the road.

Alternate routes in are over Shrine Pass into redcliff. Fast Subaru grade.

spcruiser
05-24-2010, 12:05 AM
If you would have us, I would love to bring the family up and run Holy Cross, Have wanted to run that trail for some time. We may have a conflict in schedule but I should have a firm yes or no within the next two weeks.

We do have a conflict and won't be able to attend.
We will hope this year is such a success you will have to do it again next year. You guys are great thanks for making a non member feel so welcome. :thumb:

farnhamstj
06-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Mile marker 160 on Hwy 24 is the entrance in to Camp Hale that you want. Steve, sorry you can't make it, another time.

farnhamstj
06-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I've been out scouting routes and checking for snow and downed trees. As some of you have read Yoder Gulch is closed so we will not be running that trail. Forest road we are camping next to is 714. Here are a couple teaser pics. More to come as we get closer.

SRT08BUS
06-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I really wish this was one of the runs I would be able to do but I'll make up for it by hitting Ouray..about three weeks and counting.

farnhamstj
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
The plan at the moment is to spit into two groups for Sat. Hard Core group to Holy Cross City. Other group Up McAllister's gulch to Wearyman's gulch. Sunday Lime Creek for one Group and McAllister's gulch for the other. Wurtz ditch is a possibility also. Would someone be willing to lead HC?

http://books.google.com/books?id=zGylSHyzeWwC&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=wearyman+creek+whiteriver&source=bl&ots=NB1UJLFeaw&sig=nbVHuN7Y-2s9xNBckvrzP0oTROI&hl=en&ei=MFEpTPrwHY7anAfji8yVAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=11
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=108
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=235

Air Randy
07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Is the dispersed camping for tents and such only? We would have our truck with camper and the car trailer behind it. Think there will be room for that?

farnhamstj
07-06-2010, 08:57 PM
There is a good deal of space. You will have no problem. There are always a bunch of big rig campers in the area. There are no hook ups.

Please bring portable toilets if you have one. Wall-mart has a ozark trail version of the PeTT toilets for a very good price.

RockRunner
07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Man, I want to do this so bad but we will be in Durango. We'll be wheeling so that is good but I want my cake and eat it too.

You guys have a great time, take lots of pics and we'll do the same.

TIMZTOY
07-08-2010, 10:43 PM
im in, but dont think the wife is going to make it..

J Kimmel
07-08-2010, 10:50 PM
first time I saw this, I'd like a leisurely drive up Holy Cross :)

Romer
07-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Think I am going to join you guys. Do we need to reserve a spot? I would love to do Holy Cross.

farnhamstj
07-11-2010, 03:31 PM
We will be dispersed camping in Camp Hale next to a forest road. I have not done a final head count. We will be splitting into a couple groups to keep the number of vehicles together reasonable. I assume there will be a natural break in the number of people that want to do Holy Cross and those that want something a little less :eek:

I will be leading the easier routes and still need someone to volunteer to lead HC. I think we will have no problem communicating on 2m between the two groups should something happen.

Romer
07-14-2010, 10:33 PM
What time are people getting there on Friday. Is this one of those work half a day and get up there by Dinner or take the whole day off and get up there by noon. Anything going on Friday?

Never done Holy Cross and I am in. Not sure if thats good for Rachel and Sarah not having been on it. Rachel has done Chinamans on her own and shared driving on the Rubicon.

I know they can do the easier runs if its an issue

On Sunday, is Lime creek the trail near Shriner pass and its only a few hours?

nakman
07-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Romer we're taking all of Friday off and I hope to do something once camp is set up. May be wheeling, may be tossing horse shoes, I figure I'll see who else is around, etc. If you can get out for the whole day let's run something? Call me on that fancy radio thingamabob.. :yagi:

Romer
07-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Romer we're taking all of Friday off and I hope to do something once camp is set up. May be wheeling, may be tossing horse shoes, I figure I'll see who else is around, etc. If you can get out for the whole day let's run something? Call me on that fancy radio thingamabob.. :yagi:

What time you thinking of getting there?

nakman
07-14-2010, 11:09 PM
What time you thinking of getting there?

Probably about lunch time.

Romer
07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Probably about lunch time.

I'll let you know. Probably via the :coffeescreen: and then sync up when I get there via :yagi:

Loki
07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Hmm, camping and wheeling all in one weekend? I call that a good weekend. Room for one more? And, I know my 80 wouldn't be able to do HC but if anyone has an open seat, I've been wanting to check that trail out for awhile...

Mendocino
07-17-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm considering leaving Friday around 1 pm and heading out. I need to come back Sunday early. I'd be bringing the 40 if anyone wants a ride PM me.

Old40Dog
07-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Really looking forward to getting to Holy Cross!

We can't leave until about 6PM Friday as Idelle was unable to get off work. Probably won't get there until after dark. Zach's back from Europe, but not sure about his work schedule for next weekend yet.

I hate trying to find a decent tent site in an unfamilar area in the dark. Would someone be kind enough to pick out a spot in the daylight for two 6x8 tents and a 40 and hold it for us? It could involve :beer:

farnhamstj
07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure what time I'm finishing work on Friday. I'll get up there as soon as I can. I'm gonna bring up the camper on wed night and set up some extra decoy tents. There is room on both sides of the road to camp and a bunch of fire rings. Dave, I don't think you'll have a difficult time finding us. We'll save you some space. RE HC: Rachel and Sarah could always park at French's creek and catch a ride the rest of the way up it they wanted. Lime Creek is the short trail that is connected to Shrine pass, correct. If we end up with a huge group I may suggest some folks run that on Sat. Please be sure your truck is in good working order and you arrive with plenty of gas.

Romer
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Probably be just me now. Rachel wants to go on the Ouray trip.

So Farnham. during the ghost town run we pulled in and went to the right to stay in numbered campsites that we had reserved. I am still confused where we will be setting up. Any clarity here would be much appreciated.

Air Randy
07-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Farnham,

If you're going up Wed can you publish GPS coordinates for where everyone will be camping? I've only been to HC once last year and everyone camped in a big open area on the right side of the road in to HC, not too far from the trailhead.

JadeRunner
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Darn Farnham, I really wanted to do this event with you. I have been talking about tent camping with my kids for months now. Some family things came up that will have to take priority and I chose to go on a killer backpacking\fishing trip last weekend. So we're out.

Robbie just fixed my front locker, but that will have to wait also.

Old40Dog
07-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Farnham! :thumb:

RedCreeper
07-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Looks like im out. still no real brakes and with all the auto breaking around me... no money left. Man i want to do this trail..... cant wait to see the reports. be safe gang.

farnhamstj
07-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Final Directions to Camp Hale. I-70 to Hwy24. Exit 171 toward Minturn. Follow Hwy 24 South for 17 miles. At mile post 160 is Camp Hale. Turn left into the turn out and continue East on FR716.B. You will cross a small wooden bridge. At .5 miles you will reach a T. Turn Right. It is FR714, Signposted D st. Go .3 miles. We are camped on the Right side. Our Fleetwood Camper is set up. We have also placed a Large orange tent on the other side of the road. Feel free to set up anywhere you like. There is no water and no bathrooms. Please plan accordingly and bring your Pett toilet. The nearest gas is Shop and Hop in Minturn on the right. I hope to be there by 5:00 on Friday.

nakman
07-21-2010, 12:47 AM
thanks for the directions, I know what your camper looks like so that will help a lot- see you Friday night Farnham! :beer:

Romer
07-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks Farnham. Even I should be able to find it now

Seldom Seen
07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
So far things look like a ""GO" for us. Hope to see ya'll on Fri. Don't know what time, work is still in a state of flux

rover67
07-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Looks like we are a go. See everybody Friday evening.

I am going to try to get out of Boulder around 3ish.

TIMZTOY
07-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Well damn. I really wanted to do this run, but just checked the funds and poop. I'm unable to make it this weekend.

Romer
07-22-2010, 11:13 PM
I will likely leave between 9 and 10 in the morning. See you there!