PDA

View Full Version : ZIronPig Project FJ55

ZIronPig
12-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all of the encouragement surrounding the purchase of my first landcruiser :o

I'll attempt to post up the progress as we go along. Since I'm working on a student's budget, there will likely be some times when not much is happening.

My plans are to take care of the rust this winter and get new paint on her. Hopefully in time to take to CM 2010.

Here are some pics of the pig at the beginning.

ZIronPig
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
2F, Interior shots and stock steelies.

AxleIke
12-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Sweet Pig! Definetely will be following this build!

It loooks like its time for some tube fenders up front and replace the rockers with sliders! Thats a lotta rust!

ZIronPig
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
First work on the driver's side rocker panel. Basic driver's rocker panel is complete. Now will need to move into front and rear wheel well transitions. They'll be fun...no doubt :weld:

ZIronPig
12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I removed the snow plow hardware and put the front tow hooks back on. Also removed those funny looking lights from the hood the PO used when plowing snow!:thumb:

Out on my first run yesterday. Did the Christmas Tree Patrol with CLC. Cold but fun!

ZIronPig
12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Sweet Pig! Definetely will be following this build!

It loooks like its time for some tube fenders up front and replace the rockers with sliders! Thats a lotta rust!

Yeah, there's lots of rust to deal with. Already did the driver's side rocker panel. Fender's are coming up after the passenger side rocker panel is replaced.

Also planning to do sliders in the future. After there's reason to protect the body from damage! :lmao:

MDH33
12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Have you seen the Redline Landcruiser War Pig? Might give you some ideas for the sliders/fenders. :thumb:

War Pig (http://www.slide.com/r/bOZ6C3KA7T86P00BH3mp4SnLqMISDIX1?previous_view=TICKER&previous_action=TICKER_ITEM_CLICK&ciid=2594073385491735945)

corsair23
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
You need a pool, filled with Marco's magical rust removal potion, that you can just dip that body into :D

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun, and learn a lot, from building up the piggie :thumb: - wish I had done something like this when I was your age :)

AxleIke
12-07-2009, 04:26 PM
You need a pool, filled with Marco's magical rust removal potion, that you can just dip that body into :D

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun, and learn a lot, from building up the piggie :thumb: - wish I had done something like this when I was your age :)

I think if he did that, he'd come back to find a rust colored pool with a few chips of LC paint in it :eek::eek:

jacdaw
12-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Have you seen the Redline Landcruiser War Pig? Might give you some ideas for the sliders/fenders. :thumb:

War Pig (http://www.slide.com/r/bOZ6C3KA7T86P00BH3mp4SnLqMISDIX1?previous_view=TICKER&previous_action=TICKER_ITEM_CLICK&ciid=2594073385491735945)I'm googling that now. Black Sabbath-themed Pig?

MDH33
12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Might be some good parts here:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1508098872.html

Old40Dog
12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Might be some good parts here:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1508098872.html

Thanks for thinking of us Martin! :thumb:
Can we park it over your house since you're nearby? :hill: Zach can just come over when he needs a part or two.

I don't think my wife will let us park any more FJ's here unless its an FZJ80/LX450 for her. We've currently got (2) 40's and a 55 along with a the Taco an ES300 and a 4Motion VW in the drive right now. My FX45 was rear ended at 45MPH on 6th Avenue last night and not sure if it's coming home again at this point. It's not drivable. :mad: We'll have to see what Kenny at Kittridge has to say about it tomorrow. No injuries, but we're just a bit stiff and sore today.

But I'll check out the 55.

MDH33
12-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for thinking of us Martin! :thumb:
Can we park it over your house since you're nearby? :hill: Zach can just come over when he needs a part or two.

I don't think my wife will let us park any more FJ's here unless its an FZJ80/LX450 for her. We've currently got (2) 40's and a 55 along with a the Taco an ES300 and a 4Motion VW in the drive right now. My FX45 was rear ended at 45MPH on 6th Avenue last night and not sure if it's coming home again at this point. It's not drivable. :mad: We'll have to see what Kenny at Kittridge has to say about it tomorrow. No injuries, but we're just a bit stiff and sore today.

But I'll check out the 55.

Kim would kill me if I parked a non-running rig in the driveway. :Princess: :hill:

Sorry to hear about the wreck, glad you're ok.

ZIronPig
12-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Kim would kill me if I parked a non-running rig in the driveway. :Princess: :hill:

Sorry to hear about the wreck, glad you're ok.

Dad & Idelle are still pretty sore! But, wow! thanks for the tip Martin!

Didn't even need to buy what's left of the 55, actually he has two of them in his garage. We were able to get several of the most needed parts we so won't be asking to park a 55 carcass in your drive...at least not any time soon :lmao:.

We picked-up a much needed rear window channel with rubber and window glass attached, a door hinge, a hood and grille for 40 bucks! Great deal, but not too much left on either 55 at this point. If anyone's looking for a 55 or maybe even a 45 frame, they're both in good shape and title's to boot.

He's trying to make room in his garage for a 40 that he's pretty much got done. Nice guy, so I invited him to a meeting and I'll call him before the next one to see if we can get him to check us out.

Again, Big thanks for the tip dude!!! :thumb:

MDH33
12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
right on. Glad you were able to get some parts.

How's the project coming along? :cool:

AxleIke
12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
moar Pictars!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

nuclearlemon
12-16-2009, 05:07 PM
glad you got a hood...wish i knew ya needed one, i've got a nice one sitting behind the garage.

ZIronPig
12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
moar Pictars!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

glad you got a hood...wish i knew ya needed one, i've got a nice one sitting behind the garage.

AxleIke...Thanks for following along. :D I'm on a high school student's budget, so it's not going to be a fast track project. :lmao:

Here's a before/after on the Driver's side rocker. I should have some more pics after this weekend to post for your pleasure. Planning to do the hood and start on the passenger side rocker panel.

Ige...I picked up a 2 bump hood for the sheet metal in the front for $15 bucks because my air induction hood is rusted through around the front edge. If the hood you have is the air induction style, I'd be interested. Otherwise, we're going to cut out the rusty area and use the replacement hood for the donor metal to replace any cut away metal. That way we can get the correct contour on that front edge. Let me know!:thumb:

nuclearlemon
12-17-2009, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=ZIronPig;129839] If the hood you have is the air induction style, I'd be interested. QUOTE]

Don't know what you mean by air induction style? the one i'm selling is early model. i put a later model "hump" hood on.

timmbuck2
12-17-2009, 01:28 PM
i put a later model "hump" hood on.

ahh.....one of the last remains of Ugli Bus.....

ZIronPig
12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=ZIronPig;129839] If the hood you have is the air induction style, I'd be interested. QUOTE]

Don't know what you mean by air induction style? the one i'm selling is early model. i put a later model "hump" hood on.

What I have is probably the same thing you changed to :D with the single hump and air inlets at the rear of the hood. Pic attached. The hood I bought has two "bumps", one one each side. So I'm planning to cut out the rust on the front section and patch :weld: with metal from the two bump hood.

SteveH
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Late model Pig hoods can be extremely hard to find in nice shape - they are weak and tend to dent. I have noticed the glue bonding of the braces to the hood sheet metal can pop loose, too - I reglued mine with a urethane adhesive (PL-series from Home Depot).

The claim is that the late model hoods have the 'power bulge' for the 2F air cleaner. I have seen early hoods put on pigs with late style 2F engines, and the engine still cleared the 2F air cleaner.

I like to use the term 'power bulge' just because it should be worthy of guffaws and outright horse-laughs among those who know the output of a 2F.

ZIronPig
12-23-2009, 06:14 PM
So on Sunday I got the side marker lights that John (80lolux4x4) gave to me, put on the pig. Thanks again John:thumb:. The installation did involve a little cutting to get the lights to fit over the fender. But, in the end they looked pretty darn good.:D

Before
[16273

After

wesintl
12-23-2009, 06:20 PM
oh man.. now i'm not going to live down the comparisons from john.

otherwise it looks good :D

jacdaw
12-23-2009, 06:31 PM
oh man.. now i'm not going to live down the comparisons from john.

otherwise it looks good :DZach fell right into my evil plan...bwah hah hah! Nah, I'll let sleeping pigs lie...:bolt:

Mendocino
12-23-2009, 06:41 PM
So on Sunday I got the side marker lights that John (80lolux4x4) gave to me, put on the pig. Thanks again John:thumb:. The installation did involve a little cutting to get the lights to fit over the fender. But, in the end they looked pretty darn good.:D

Before
[16273

After

Looks great Zach. Let us know what you did with that expensive gear oil you got at the holiday party...:thumb:

farnhamstj
12-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Grill looks good, nice work on the lights.

PabloCruise
12-27-2009, 12:05 AM

Before
[16273

After

70 series lights? Nice...

ZIronPig
12-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Yep they're 70 series lights. I forgot to mention that in my post.:D

ZIronPig
12-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Looks great Zach. Let us know what you did with that expensive gear oil you got at the holiday party...:thumb:

Well, I replaced the oil in the transfer case, and what came out of it looked pretty bad and there wasn't much of it either. But I did run into a problem with the transmission. The drain plug was so tight that neither me or my dad could get it out. I think the problem was that we dont have a large enough box end wrench and I can't get the correct leverage with the socket. If anyone in the Evergreen area has the right wrench, I think it is a 25mm (correct me if I am wrong), it would be wonderfull if I could borrow it long enough to do a gear oil change.:thumb: Thanks.

ZIronPig
12-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Grill looks good, nice work on the lights.

Thanks! The grill was off of another pig that a guy was parting out. It definitely looks better than the original one, but it could use some paint. There are some small chips on it. The original one is actually spending some time in the electrolysis tub tonight.

ZIronPig
12-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Two days ago we started the electrolysis process on the original rusty grille. Here are some before and after shots. It is more noticible on the first shot. It still needs to be painted the original pewter color.

ZIronPig
12-29-2009, 10:15 AM
We also installed a dash cap. Here are some before and after pictures.:thumb:

subzali
12-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Zach, usually the drain plugs are 24mm for Land Cruisers. At least on the diffs and tranny they are. I think the t-case is 17mm. Get you a 1/2" drive 6-point socket or even an impact socket (thicker wall, less deflection) to help. But before taking off the drain plug take off the fill plug and make sure it doesn't strip out on you (you don't want to drain the oil only to realize you can't refill it). And consider investing in new drain and fill plugs, possibly allen heads. They can be had at the Toyota dealer. I have some sockets you can borrow if you need but I don't get up that way often.

Sometimes heat will help loosen things up. Try to get the area surrounding the drain plug hotter than the plug.

Bruiser
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, I replaced the oil in the transfer case, and what came out of it looked pretty bad and there wasn't much of it either. But I did run into a problem with the transmission. The drain plug was so tight that neither me or my dad could get it out. I think the problem was that we dont have a large enough box end wrench and I can't get the correct leverage with the socket. If anyone in the Evergreen area has the right wrench, I think it is a 25mm (correct me if I am wrong), it would be wonderfull if I could borrow it long enough to do a gear oil change.:thumb: Thanks.

I have a 24 mm if you need to borrow it. I live in Golden and work in Evergreen. I also saw socket sets (21 - 26 MM I think) in the discount bin at Sears in Littleton.

MDH33
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
I have some big 6 pt sockets, a breaker bar and box end wrenches, Zach. If you guys still need a hand let me know and I'll swing by. I'm just down the road and I have some time off this week. I'll let you borrow my custom made tranny and trans 90 wt funnel too. ;) :thumb:

ZIronPig
01-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I have some big 6 pt sockets, a breaker bar and box end wrenches, Zach. If you guys still need a hand let me know and I'll swing by. I'm just down the road and I have some time off this week. I'll let you borrow my custom made tranny and trans 90 wt funnel too. ;) :thumb:

Martin, I sent you a PM regarding the wrenches.

Hulk
01-12-2010, 01:33 AM
We also installed a dash cap. Here are some before and after pictures.:thumb:

Nice. I put one of those on my first FJ40. Makes a real difference in looks, doesn't it? :thumb:

ZIronPig
01-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Nice. I put one of those on my first FJ40. Makes a real difference in looks, doesn't it? :thumb:

Oh yeah, it made the interior look much better.

ZIronPig
01-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Last week we did work on the front end of the pig. The first picture shows the changes. The last two are pictures of the rust removal on the hood.:thumb:

farnhamstj
01-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Good work.

Uncle Ben
01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Very :cool:!

PabloCruise
01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Great pics!

2 questions:
What color did you source for the grille?
Where did you get your 55 dashcap?

Air Randy
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
This baby looks like a prime candidate for a rattle can painting party at Randy's place! Perry has decided to trust my painting skills so join the party.

ZIronPig
01-29-2010, 12:07 AM
This baby looks like a prime candidate for a rattle can painting party at Randy's place! Perry has decided to trust my painting skills so join the party.

Ha Ha:lmao:. That would be great except there is still a good amount of cancer on it. But once thats removed I am all for it.:thumb:

ZIronPig
01-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Great pics!

2 questions:
What color did you source for the grille?
Where did you get your 55 dashcap?

Actually that grille is off of another 55 and still could use some paint I just haven't gotten to it yet. The dash cap came from coolcruisers.com.

PabloCruise
01-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Actually that grille is off of another 55 and still could use some paint I just haven't gotten to it yet. The dash cap came from coolcruisers.com.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not see the product on the Cool Cruisers website.

I was thinking about going with the eBay product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FJ55-New-Dash-Cap-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-9-72-7-80_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem33598e3697QQitemZ220545824407QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Old40Dog
01-31-2010, 01:23 AM
TJ,

You need to ask the guy supplying most of the $ for this project :lmao::lmao::lmao:

It came from http://www.dashtops.com/dashboard/buydash.cfm/5567 = Full Cover 1973-1980 Landcruiser 4 dr wagon, FJ 55 Full dash cover for Toyota Landcruiser $74.95. It looks like the same item on ebay, so if you can get it for less, that's cool. :cool: I bought a similar one on ebay for my 40 and it looked to be the same quality as the one we got for the 55. Makes a hugh difference in the dash look, so good luck!

Zach got some other items for Christmas at the same time that did come from cool cruisers. :cool: so he's just a bit :confused:

Thanks for the reply.

I do not see the product on the Cool Cruisers website.

I was thinking about going with the eBay product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FJ55-New-Dash-Cap-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-9-72-7-80_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem33598e3697QQitemZ220545824407QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

PabloCruise
02-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks Dave!

I have not looked at my dash cap yet, but I will say the ebay vendor shipped this dash cap very quickly!

ZIronPig
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Ok so we did some tailgate work awhile back but I am just getting the pictures up now. Hear are some before and after pictures.:thumb:

Hulk
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Nicely done -- looks smooth!

farnhamstj
03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Nice work on the tailgate. WHOLLY COW!!! look at the frame crossmember. That'd be next on my list of things to fix.

SteveH
03-05-2010, 07:59 AM
If you want a stock-ish look, a *front* FJ55 bumper bolts nicely to the *rear* of an FJ55. Those flimsy sheet-metal bumper ends on an FJ55 can't never bed made straight, and have the durability of a Coors beer can. You may want to do a custom bumper, but this is just an idea for you.

FJBRADY
03-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Holy evaporating rust.....nice work! Looks great!

leiniesred
03-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Zach, I think you've already saved your FJ55's life.
I think it is cool that you are learning the work as you go and have the patience to do a little at a time.

ZIronPig
03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Nice work on the tailgate. WHOLLY COW!!! look at the frame crossmember. That'd be next on my list of things to fix.

yup, when we got the bumper off and saw that, that is exactly what went through my mind. The plan is to put a nice piece of channel back there.

ZIronPig
03-07-2010, 05:14 PM
If you want a stock-ish look, a *front* FJ55 bumper bolts nicely to the *rear* of an FJ55. Those flimsy sheet-metal bumper ends on an FJ55 can't never bed made straight, and have the durability of a Coors beer can. You may want to do a custom bumper, but this is just an idea for you.

The cross member and a custom bumper is the next focus. The plan is to cut off the bottoms of the fenders and run sliders off of the bumper up towards the tires. :weld:

ZIronPig
03-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Zach, I think you've already saved your FJ55's life.
I think it is cool that you are learning the work as you go and have the patience to do a little at a time.

Thanks, its getting there. Slowly but surely.

ZIronPig
03-30-2010, 05:39 PM
The frame crossmember is fixed! Here are some before and after pics.

corsair23
03-30-2010, 05:48 PM
The frame crossmember is fixed! Here are some before and after pics.

I see a before pic and a cropped before pic :rolleyes: :D

wesintl
03-30-2010, 05:50 PM
before and before :D

jacdaw
03-30-2010, 05:58 PM
There's no snow on the *after* pic! Zack, it looks great. Bit by bit your rust is going away. Those rear corners and the sill are gonna be fun...

MDH33
03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
I see a before pic and a cropped before pic :rolleyes: :D

before and before :D

Jeez guys, give the dude a break. :rolleyes:

Looks good Zack. I Photochopped some extra light under there for you:

corsair23
03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Ah...NOW I see :)

Thanks Martin...Maybe I need to turn the brightness up on my monitor...

Good work Zach :thumb: (hey, at least I spell his name right :clap: :hill:)

Old40Dog
03-30-2010, 07:39 PM
There's no snow on the *after* pic! Zack, it looks great. Bit by bit your rust is going away. Those rear corners and the sill are gonna be fun...

Maybe he should bolt a piece of 10"x2" tube with a hole to the spare tire carrier on that pig frame crossmember, then the rust will at least be outta site.:lmao:

Bumper and rear sliders next, then the sheet metal after that. And, yes it'll be FUN!:thumb:

jacdaw
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
<snip>(hey, at least I spell his name right :clap: :hill:)DOH! I'll never make that mistake again.

MDH33
03-30-2010, 09:46 PM
At least I didn't call him Matt...:hill:

Chris
03-31-2010, 09:08 AM
You might want to check this out, looks like there's a lot of good sheet metal.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?9195-FJ55-part-out

Old40Dog
03-31-2010, 10:09 PM
You might want to check this out, looks like there's a lot of good sheet metal.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?9195-FJ55-part-out

Chris,

Sent you a PM about this contact. Thanks!

ZIronPig
04-01-2010, 06:21 PM
At least I didn't call him Matt...:hill:

Ha ha ha. Thanks! And thanks for brightening up the image.

ZIronPig
06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
The rear bumper has been finished for over a month now but here are some pictures. The first picture has been photoshoped to get a feel of how it should look rust free.

nuclearlemon
06-06-2010, 09:44 PM
have you capped the rear corners yet? was it pretty simple?

simps80
06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
lookin great!!!

I always look forward to updates on this thread/truck!!!

awesome

jacdaw
06-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Nice work Zach. How will the lower corners be filled? Capped off where they currently end or extended and rounded a bit?

ZIronPig
06-10-2010, 10:56 PM
No I havn't capped the corners yet but the plan is to keep the stock contour.

ZIronPig
10-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Alright, I got the carburetor rebuilt and put back on, and the 55 runs better than I ever thought it would. :D I would like to thank Ricardo for all of his help and advice, Sasha for his advice and the copies of the repair manual, and everybody else that gave me advice. So now I'll be getting back to more of those rust issues.:rolleyes: Soon I wll get some pics up to show the difference from before to after.

RicardoJM
10-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Alright, I got the carburetor rebuilt and put back on, and the 55 runs better than I ever thought it would. :D I would like to thank Ricardo for all of his help and advice, Sasha for his advice and the copies of the repair manual, and everybody else that gave me advice. So now I'll be getting back to more of those rust issues.:rolleyes: Soon I wll get some pics up to show the difference from before to after.

Excellent work Zach:thumb:. Glad to hear the pig is up and running - I'm looking forward to seeing the carb pics. :D

ZIronPig
10-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Got the front clip off of the donner car and and then we seperated the inner fenders from the outter fenders and now they are just waiting for some repair work. :thumb: Sorry about the lack of pictures, I will try to get some up shortly.:D

ZIronPig
06-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Ok new plan! Thinking about putting a 1fz under the hood :D

jacdaw
06-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Cool!

nuclearlemon
06-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Ok new plan! Thinking about putting a 1fz under the hood :D

i've pondered that for a couple years, since i have a 1fz/trans/tcase/shafts/crossmember/fuel tank/wiring harness sitting in the garage :D

ZIronPig
07-14-2012, 02:52 AM
i've pondered that for a couple years, since i have a 1fz/trans/tcase/shafts/crossmember/fuel tank/wiring harness sitting in the garage :D

Well I'll be the guinea pig then.

ZIronPig
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Got the 1FZ-FE pulled out of the donor 80 and separated from the tranny over the last week! Pictures to come.

ZIronPig
01-10-2013, 05:34 PM

PabloCruise
01-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Watch out!

nattybumppo
01-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Nice!

RedCreeper
01-11-2013, 08:40 PM
almost snow bashing time. hehe

Rezarf
01-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Since I'm working on a student's budget, there will likely be some times when not much is happening.

What happened to the student budget!? :lmao:

Great build, I've longed for a piggy but the rust issues always scared me off. You're doing great bud, keep it up.

RLMS
01-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Ya Baby!! 1FZ in a pig!!! very cool!

Justin

ZIronPig
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys for the support! I'll do my best to keep everyone updated as the build moves on.