PDA

View Full Version : Infant/Baby/Kids Seat Tech.

Bikeman
12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
At what point do you all start the booster seat deal? My just-turned 4 year old is too big for the 3 Graco infant seats we have. He is the same size or bigger than most 5 year olds. I will post his height, but he weighs 45 lbs. The harnesses over the shoulders start behind and below his shoulders, and we can't get him in very well with a heavy coat, with the staps fully out on the rachet system. The coat is a must right now.

I want him as safe as possible in a 6" lifted DD cruiser and would like to have him harnessed in for as long as possible.

A custom kid's race-style full replacement rear seat is out of the question right now $$$ wise, but in the future if the 80 becomes more crawler-ish.

FJBRADY
12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Mike,

I think your son is ready for a booster seat.....he seams to be tall for his age. If he wont fit in a car seat this is the next step. Good news is he will be able to buckle himself in and out taking the burden off you and your wife :thumb:

Bikeman
12-08-2009, 11:34 AM
He has briefly used a booster and can definately buckle himself in. He can easily and insists he pull himself up into the cruiser! I am sick of the 80's for sale that have the seller say they need a better DD!

Anyone know of a booster arrangement with harnesses? I want him as secureas possible if the 80 ends up on its lid.

FJBRADY
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
It's been a few years since I was in your position, but I believe they have boosters that are like a chair with a high back so the seat belt routes over the lap and positions the shoulder belt holding the seat and the child as one.

timmbuck2
12-08-2009, 12:04 PM
hmm....Ty is 43 inches tall and about 45 pounds, and is 4. Charlotte is 5 but a little smaller. I have seats for both of them that are bigger than a regular infant seat,but still shaped like one. They both had the straps inside the seat, but they are designed to be used with the truck seat belts. Works great so far...

nakman
12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
We've still got Gavin in a normal car seat, the biggest one is the Alpha Omega one in the truck. The Britax in Michele's car is starting to feel a little tight, IMO. He can also buckle himself in, though he can't buckle himself out.. not much of a downside there. He's at 42 pounds and probably just at 40", so it would be legit to move him up but he's still happy so we're happy.

Hulk
12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
We switched to boosters when the kids hit 5 or so. The main thing is that the belt go across their shoulder, not their neck.

farnhamstj
12-11-2009, 01:59 PM
We use the boosters with the backs that hold the shoulder strap low enough. Kids are 40" and 44" tall. 4 and 5years
http://www.target.com/b/ref=gp_se_search-results-box/184-8383798-1494318?ie=UTF8&node=1041910

The one on the rt