PDA

View Full Version : 1993 FZJ80 - Custom Power and MP3 connection in center console

Inukshuk
12-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I just installed a 12V outlet and and MP3 connection in the center console. As a bonus, I'll be able to charge a phone tucked out of the way. And, my speakers were acting up again after I put the radio back in - so I am sure I have a bad connection behind the dash. oh well. I jiggled it and it does all work now.

12V outlet from Pep Boys $7, 3.5MM stereo to dual RCA from Radio Shack, $16. Alpine Dual RCA to proprietary input $6.

Power is tapped from an existing fusebox tap that runs an aux light relay. All connections crimped and heatshrinked.

I considered installing an audio jack instead of having the cable run through. Always could later. The audio cable stuff into the top lid if needed and can come out about another 12 inches. I put a grommet on that hole too.

There is a lot of room inside that upper lid.

Hot glue holds the wires as needed inside the upper lid.

Inukshuk
12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Here it is all hooked up. The MP3 player is a 30GB Zune, refurbished, $69.00 from Tiger Direct. Since I am using the headphone jack, any source is easily switched in. Car power adapter was $3.00 via Amazon. I'm going to add a sponge rubber mat to line the bottom of the upper lid.

Also showing the CB and HAM setup since people always debate where to put these. I could mount them even lower if I hacked up the cover below them a bit.

I don't like that the CB and HAM are always visible, but I did not want to spend for a remote face. The stereo faceplate is detachable and I always take it out.

Hulk
12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Nice! The good thing about doing the 1/8 jack is that it will work with all brands of MP3 players, not just Apple.

nakman
12-13-2009, 10:36 PM
That's cool Daniel, nice work. Some day I'll add some 12v to the center console, but there's so many wires under that thing already it's not even funny :hill:

But I like the stealth mode of the iPod.. :thumb: :cool:

RockRunner
12-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Looks good Daniel, a multi functional option.

Romer
12-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Looks great Daniel

Inukshuk
12-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks. My electronics are still not nearly as clean as you guys, but I'm trying. I also added a new end fitting to my CB coax so that relic should work when needed.

I do like the idea of being able to hook up almost any audio source. Soon I'm off the Friscio with a HS buddy for a few days of skiing, good music in the 80 and a test of the new audio source. Its a powder day!

nanuk
12-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks alot, if I didn't already have enough projects to do not I have to do this. :D

Really though, Thanks. I can do about anything, I just can't always come up with the ideas.

Inukshuk
12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
It worked great. Now I just need more and better music!

wesintl
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I I just need more and better music!

:hill::thumb: