PDA

View Full Version : Now Three Toyotas (Kind of) in the Stable

Bikeman
12-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Pretty excitied, didn't think I was going to buy another this soon! The newest addition to along with the 80 and the wife's Highlander is a black 1996 LX-450 that I picked up at my buddie's at Stevinson Imports. The deal was done to help the Audi disappear due to the bad economy starting to affect the business. It will be the daily driver. I have been really wanting a stock 80-series as a DD. It will be safer to drive with the son, since this one will have sway bars attached! The white 80 can go back into semi-retirement, ready for its next adventure:D.

It is a 2-owner, with 168,000 miles with a fair amount of maintainence recently done to it and 3 pages of carfax info. Looks like it was cared for pretty well. The leather is pretty cracked, but otherwise everything else is mechanically fine. My Toyota mechanic, Brian, has agreed to go thru it completely top to bottom, as a side job for him, since I won't have time. It needs a knuckle job as well as the usual baselining, but not much else. The paint is good, but needs a good wax. The hood has a small crease in the front corner with the paint cracked, but hey, it's black for easy touch-up:thumb:. The first thing Mitchell, my 4 y.o. asked, was if it had black wheels:hill:. I will pick it up within the next 2 days after it's been detailed at the dealership.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm255/Bikeman_Colorado/DSCN0265.jpg

nuclearlemon
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
useless without pics....

corsair23
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
The best color :thumb:

:D

MDH33
12-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Pretty excitied, didn't think I was going to buy another this soon! The newest addition ... is a black 1996 LX-450 that I picked up....due to the bad economy starting to affect the business.

Wow, business is so bad you have to drive a Lexus! :rolleyes::lmao:

Lars
12-15-2009, 09:19 AM
the Best Color :thumb:

:d

Agreed, Just hard To Keep Clean.

Bikeman
12-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Detailed by the stealer:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm255/Bikeman_Colorado/photo.jpg

RockRunner
12-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Nice ride, so that is how you sell it to the wife. It is a saver ride ;-0

Bikeman
12-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Since this rig is not as pristine as the other 80, I am thinking about turning it into a trail rig. I would swap everything over. See the new thread in tech.

thefatkid
12-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Since this rig is not as pristine as the other 80, I am thinking about turning it into a trail rig. I would swap everything over. See the new thread in tech.

ShamWow, when do we start on that?

Bikeman
12-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Well as of right now there is a punch list of the normal stuff to do, such as both axles to be serviced, PS pump reseal, belts, hoses, coolant flush, gear boxes, PHH. Luckily the brakes are new and the tranny fluid is fine.

But first I have to change the oil and get it to pass emmissions on Monday if the 401 code stays away long enough, or I'll punch my buddy at the stealership and he gets the rig back or pays to throw parts at it. Wish me luck...

wesintl
12-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I believe the check engine light can't fail you now. They can only recommend you get it checked out. As long as you pass the rollers your ok.

Red_Chili
12-19-2009, 07:27 AM
But first I have to change the oil and get it to pass emmissions on Monday if the 401 code stays away long enough, or I'll punch my buddy at the stealership and he gets the rig back or pays to throw parts at it. Wish me luck...
IIRC he IS on the hook to make it go away...

Bikeman
12-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Righto. He may be wishing he just took it to the auction.

Bikeman
12-21-2009, 11:46 AM
The 80 passed other than the cas cap failing, but they sent it thru! Now on to the PM:

Done:

Detailed
Oil Change
Shaky mirror
Tranny fluid was new
Brakes were newish

To Do:

Knuckle Job, new wheel bearings
Rear wheel bearing service
Coolant flush
Power steering flush, maybe new pump
Hoses, belts, PHH
Fluid change in Diffs, T Case
"D" Bulb

Bikeman
02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Well, the LX is coming along nicely. the PO had done the following recently:

Air Intake tube
air filter
fuel filter
brakes all around with cross-drilled rotors
auto tranny flush
spark plugs
rod ends

Brian (thefatkid) did all the latest work. He used to work at Slee some time ago and is at least a Toy master tech at groove right now. He knows the 80s inside and out, and any quirks they have. He is open to doing side jobs for anyone, from gears to PM. He just finished up:

Oil change.
coolant flush.
Pesky heater hose (PHH) and other hoses.
full front axle teardown from wheel bearings to trunnions.
rear wheel bearing service.
power steering flush.
shakey mirror fix.
all belts (non-factory cogged belts sound terrible).
gear oil change in all boxes.

Preferred Auto glass put in a windshield with a factory gasket.

I have removed the following:

Side steps.
tire hoist.
3rd row seats.
rusted receiver hitch.
rear sway bar tossed.
roof rack tossed.

I just finished these upgrades:

Good used sunvisor from Irbis.
driver door speaker replaced.
OME 850 heavy "J" springs giving 3.5" lift (23" center of hub to flare bottom).
OME 860 medium springs giving same amount of lift (nice and level).
Slee 5* caster plates, drives suweet.
CV front driveline using the big Koyo joint from a Taco, shortened and retubed by the awesome work of Front Range Driveline, my third one done by them.
285/75 Hankook Dyna Pro MT tires (32.25" loaded, big for a 285).
all brake line brackets dropped for extra hose slack.
front sway bar drop 2".
axle breathers relocated.
LSVP bracket adjusted for lift.
hazard switch for CDL switch.
sirius radio docking station.

Soon to come:

Aussie locker.
cheap 11" travel shocks with pro-Comp eye adapters on their way.
fab 2" rear bump stop lowering brackets.
mount a front winch behind the stock front bumper with jeep mounting plate (done it before early on, on the 80).
new gas cap.
new dizzy cap and rotor.
extend TC and tranny breathers up higher.
simple rock sliders without kickouts to keep things light, talked to SROR, who did my other set on the 80.
remove stock rear bumper ends, chop 3" off framerails and relocate rear crossmember.
add simple rear corner protection.

Now for the poser pics:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm255/Bikeman_Colorado/IMG_2119.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm255/Bikeman_Colorado/IMG_2120.jpg

corsair23
02-04-2010, 12:21 AM
The newest addition to along with the 80 and the wife's Highlander is a black 1996 LX-450... It will be the daily driver. I have been really wanting a stock 80-series as a DD. It will be safer to drive with the son, since this one will have sway bars attached!

I have removed the following:

rear sway bar tossed

I just finished these upgrades:

OME 850 heavy "J" springs giving 3.5" lift (23" center of hub to flare bottom).
OME 860 medium springs giving same amount of lift (nice and level).
Slee 5* caster plates, drives suweet.
285/75 Hankook Dyna Pro MT tires

Soon to come:

Aussie locker.
cheap 11" travel shocks with pro-Comp eye adapters on their way.
simple rock sliders
chop 3" off framerails and relocate rear crossmember

:lmao: - Ummm Mike...What happened to the stock 80 with sway bars that would be the DD?

When you get to the point where you ditch your stock headlights for something more bling, let me know! I need a PS headlight :hill:

Bikeman
02-04-2010, 07:52 AM
:lmao: - Ummm Mike...What happened to the stock 80 with sway bars that would be the DD?

When you get to the point where you ditch your stock headlights for something more bling, let me know! I need a PS headlight :hill:

:o:o:o :lmao::lmao::lmao: