PDA

View Full Version : Rusted, Cancerous Rear Quarter Panels on the 60

CBone
12-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I've been thinking about how to tackle this project since I purchased this truck. I've been talking about it for the last couple CBCs and thought I would post here for ideas.

I've got a totally rusted out rear quarter panel. I think the best solution is to cut the quarter panel, as I've seen on a lot of 60s. The two pics illustrate what I've got and what I'd like to end up with.

I know absolutely nothing about welding, cutting metal; nor do I have any skills relavent to this job, other than a smidgen of patience and a strong desire to do it right.

To do this job effectively, it seems, IN THEORY, to be cutting out the outer wall (visible to you in the pic), the inner wall and welding a piece of metal to cap it off at the bottom.

I've been researching this for quite some time on MUD and elsewhere and feel about ready to tackle it, I think

Here are the questions

1. Cutting the outside wall seems reasonable enough--is it best to use a jig saw or angle grinder with cutting wheel?
2. If using an angle grinder, do I need to be concerned with sparks--as the gas tank is right there and there's probably some degree of fumes?
3. Is the angle grinder the best application for cutting the inner wall?
4. Where do I find a piece of sheet metal for the caps at the bottom?
5. Just how hard will it be to weld those pieces in place and does anyone have a welder and some time to teach? In exchange, I can bring some beer, create some serious marketing strategy for your business, write a story for ya--lots of options :-)

Other questions:
1. Does anyone know someone who would be interested in doing this project--I've toyed with the idea of paying for someone to do it, so it comes out nice. I contacted Oleg but he doesn't seem to be able to tackle this right now or anytime in the future
2. Any other ideas for fixing this problem--I've explored a few and weighed the pros and cons and really like the idea of cutting down the quarter panels, but I'm open to other ideas

Thanks in advance

Old40Dog
12-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Carlton,

Rust??? That's not rust!!!

We were going to dig a hole in the back yard and use Marco's rust removal technique, but deceided we'd only have a few paint chips floating on top when it was done.

It's pretty much what you've seen on The offer still stands if you want to make the trek up to Evergreen to check out the same type of resto you're lookin' to do and that Zach and I are working on for his pig.

It's not really that difficult...more patience than anything else...think before you cut...grind a bit and check...don't go too fast or you just undo what you just welded, more than anything. And yes, watch where the sparks are flying:D. You may want to pay for a body guy to finish up, but it's usually hard to see any imperfections down where most of the rust is located once you complete a trail or two...:hill:

Once you learn the basic skills, they'll be usable for life.

We'll be doing some minor stuff on Saturday morning, we're planning on takin' the pig to the party Saturday night...and starting some more major stuff on Sunday.

PM me for directions if you're interested. We're about 35-40 minutes from RS meeting place. :thumb:

Chris
12-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Crash? How about some pics of Oleg's beautiful job on yours?

SteveH
12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I think CCoT sells FJ60 rear qtr. lower panels - not sure if that's exactly what you need.

jettaglxdriver
12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
You can buy the 60 patch pieces but they are pricey. If your going for resto then they are worth it if your building a trail rig that is modified I'd just shorten them and use some sheet metal and bed line it.

Jacket
12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Carlton,

I have neither adequate experience or much time for hands on help, but I could possibly provide some inspiration? and a few tips. I did this work on my 40 last winter, and it was my first real experience using a welder and doing sheet metal work:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=102607&postcount=29

To a few of your questions

- I managed to do all the cutting on mine with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel, although a sawzall might be a better for some. For your section, you could probably just cut out a larger square, and then cut out a new panel to match it. Or completely clearance it.
- A welding blanket could be used to protect any areas where sparks could fly
- I bought my patch steel at a nearby steel shop, but I think you can even get sheet metal at places like Ace in 16, 18 or 20g.

Rzeppa
12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
I know absolutely nothing about welding, cutting metal; nor do I have any skills relavent to this job, other than a smidgen of patience and a strong desire to do it right.

To do this job effectively, it seems, IN THEORY, to be cutting out the outer wall (visible to you in the pic), the inner wall and welding a piece of metal to cap it off at the bottom.

I've been researching this for quite some time on MUD and elsewhere and feel about ready to tackle it, I think

Here are the questions

1. Cutting the outside wall seems reasonable enough--is it best to use a jig saw or angle grinder with cutting wheel?

Neither. The proper tool for the job is a plasma cutter. They are around $1000, so I use a zip wheel on an air powered cutter. Pretty precise, but uses a lot of air.

4. Where do I find a piece of sheet metal for the caps at the bottom?

As written above, CCOT makes replacement panels (as I have used on my FJ40 resto) for 60s, or you can buy the sheet metal at Ace hardware as I do for my general-duty sheet metal for my rigs.

5. Just how hard will it be to weld those pieces in place and does anyone have a welder and some time to teach? In exchange, I can bring some beer, create some serious marketing strategy for your business, write a story for ya--lots of options :-)

See my write up (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8663&highlight=quarter+panel) from around a year ago when I had some RS members over to help weld up the QPs on my 40. If Yan can cook, so can you!

Have a RS party, get some pizza and barley pop and we'll have some fun!

Happy cruisin'!

MDH33
12-17-2009, 12:29 PM
The CCOT quarter panels look pretty nice. Spendy, but Carltons 60 is worthy. :thumb:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/coolfj40_2085_145577596

CBone
12-17-2009, 02:42 PM
thanks all for your input. Still trying to decide the best route but Matt, your thread was inspiring and then it's either Dave in the mountains, or as Jeff suggested, some beer, some pizza, an invite and who knows where that can go...

SROR/AKA 2BAD
12-17-2009, 10:37 PM
i've got a buddy who can do it.
did you leave me a message on my phone?

nuclearlemon
12-18-2009, 09:34 PM
chop em and cap em...flat bottom