PDA

View Full Version : Random 80 Questions (For Wheeling)

Bikeman
12-16-2009, 08:37 AM
I am thinking about swapping everything over from the white 80 to the black LX-450 I just aquired. The white 80 is almost pristine with the exterior and interior almost perfect sans front seat covers cracked. The LX has badly cracked leather, worn carpets and has more dings/dents.

Since I want to eventually have any 80 with a SUT conversion, i.e., chop off the upper rear body, to take weight out, like the Black Raven (PKP80) or Hanna Qualities Ultimate 80, I though it would be better to cut into the LX.

Questions:

Are the rear axle shafts in stock form out of a non e-locked housing stronger than the long spline ones with the e-locker? I thought of a Detroit in the back, or an Aussie Locker. I would put a stronger ARB in the front eventually.

If I swap axles between vehicles, can I do a simpler wiring job like the Taco guys do, or have to swap harnesses, switch, and locker ECU over?

Can the trim panels come off the LX easily and not look totally fubar? I am not a fan of the liner material, but if I needed to cover up stuff, I would. I have a bunch of black hex-head cap screws to fill in the holes after de-flaring.

More questions to come.

Romer
12-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I don't think they are stronger, just longer. I swapped mine out for the ones Slee sells

There are write-ups on Mud on how to do this. The LX has part of the harness installed. You will have to wire from the left rear wheel well to the locker.

You will have to install a Control Box in the right passenger front just under the glove box

You will need to install the two light bulbs in the dash to show when locked.

You will need to install the rotary switch, the connector in the harness behind the switch is already there to the passenger kickpanel for the ECU. The Connectors for the ECU (control box) and harness are there all the way to the drivers rear wheel well.

You will need to replace the ABS cables with the integrated ABS/E-locker cables

You could likely take all the parts you need from the 80.

There are several write-ups on Mud. I did one when I put a rear locker into Sarah's truck

FJBRADY
12-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey Mike, if you wheel the Lexus you will have to put that pink pantie sticker on it. :D

60wag
12-16-2009, 09:04 AM
The black one is going to look more scratched up than the white one once you drive through some bushes.

Romer
12-16-2009, 09:15 AM
You could always swap the interior pieces, most are interchngable.

thefatkid
12-16-2009, 09:22 AM
The issue with the e-locker is under a heavy load the splines like to twist causing the locker to malfunction and the axle very difficult to remove. You have to cut a hole in the axle housing and cut the e-locker gear off the axle. The ARB or Detroit would not have the removal issue if the shaft splines twisted. Axle twisting seems to start at 35" with a abusive driver and become more common on trucks that run 37" tires or bigger.

There are holes under the plastic trim. I have seen people bedliner the side of the trucks after filling the holes. The holes are about 3/8" square IIRC. Fill the holes with weld if your going to do the bedliner method. If your going to paint make patches and tack weld in for a cleaner look with less body distortion.

FJBRADY
12-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Mike you should build it like this........seriously!

corsair23
12-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Hey Mike, if you wheel the Lexus you will have to put that pink pantie sticker on it. :D

He won't even know about it until after I sneak over and put one on for him :hill:

The black one is going to look more scratched up than the white one once you drive through some bushes.

I can vouch for that :o - I love the black but dang is it nearly impossible to keep clean...But, it sounds like you don't care about that for the trail rig.

I sort of went through this back when...Bought the black LX (locked) and then 6 months later bought a sage AE 80 (unlocked) after the :Princess: refused to give me the LX to build up until we found her an 80 or LX. I REALLY wanted the 80 to be mine instead (partial to the sage color :)) and mileage wise, maintenace history wise, etc. the two rigs were nearly identical...In the end I decided that it was too much work swapping stuff over for me to tackle and the cost to have someone do it for me wasn't in the cards...Not to mention having both DD rigs down for however long.

Bikeman
12-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

Can the e lockers be wired like from scratch to avoid the factory wiring, and have the logic circuits be in the human head?

Does anyone know how well the lunchbox (Aussie) lockers hold up to heavy wheeling?

How are strong are the stock short-splined axles if I did a Detroit?

Romer
12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
autolockers work fine, but they do effect on road driving when turning. people will hear your tires chirping in the parking lot when you are slowly maneuvering into a spot. Not so much at speed though.

You can wire anything from scratch, its a ton of work and if you were going to do that, I would go to air lockers. The benefit of the e-locker is a lot of what you need is right there.

thefatkid
12-16-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't think the shorter spline is any stronger, if/when it fails the replacement will be easier and less expensive.

Bikeman
12-16-2009, 11:43 AM
A non-daily driven rig with a detriot would be fine, have driven them before on the street in a SWB rig. If the stock short-splined shafts won't hold up to 37" tires, and require Poly axles anyway, I'd prolly run the e locker in the rear anyway.

Hulk
12-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Sell the 80 you just acquired and buy another with lockers. Problem solved.

sleeoffroad
12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the input so far.

Can the e lockers be wired like from scratch to avoid the factory wiring, and have the logic circuits be in the human head?

Yes, we have a circuit board made up with everything it it. Just connect to a switch, and the actuator.

sleeoffroad
12-16-2009, 12:15 PM
A non-daily driven rig with a detriot would be fine, have driven them before on the street in a SWB rig. If the stock short-splined shafts won't hold up to 37" tires, and require Poly axles anyway, I'd prolly run the e locker in the rear anyway.

If you are going to build a dedicated wheeler on 37's I would run anything but a e-locker in the rear. Detroit or ARB.

Bikeman
12-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Here's what I'm thinking, but with a canvas back cover, and no tailgate:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm255/Bikeman_Colorado/Blackraven.jpg

Bikeman
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes, we have a circuit board made up with everything it it. Just connect to a switch, and the actuator.

Pricing, Christo?

DaveInDenver
12-16-2009, 03:22 PM
You can wire anything from scratch, its a ton of work and if you were going to do that, I would go to air lockers. The benefit of the e-locker is a lot of what you need is right there.
If it's like the Tacoma e-locker, a simple controller would be a DPDT on-none-on switch and a lamp. The complex e-locker circuit is a momentary SPDT on-off-on switch, two SPDT relays and a locked indicator lamp. It's not hard, even a PM can figure it out.

sleeoffroad
12-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Pricing, Christo?

$89 each

sleeoffroad
12-16-2009, 03:30 PM
If it's like the Tacoma e-locker, a simple controller would be a DPDT on-none-on switch and a lamp. The complex e-locker circuit is a momentary SPDT on-off-on switch, two SPDT relays and a locked indicator lamp. It's not hard, even a PM can figure it out.

You can't just switch it on or off. You need to also use the limit switches in the motor, otherwise you will burn the motor out.

Jacket
12-16-2009, 03:32 PM
But based on this quote:

It sounds like Mike wants the truck to read his mind, and when he thinks he needs his axle locked, the actuator fires. ;)

DaveInDenver
12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
You can't just switch it on or off. You need to also use the limit switches in the motor, otherwise you will burn the motor out.
Yes, I know that. These are different pin-outs but the logic is the same. It ain't rocket science, as they say.

Very Simple (not the best option):

Just Simple (best option):

Nay
12-16-2009, 07:09 PM
First, put 37's on the white 80 and wheel it, and then it won't be pristine and you can stop messing around :D

In all seriousness, I would put a Detroit in the rear if you are going to do it. Auto lockers are practically non-existent in a AWD auto transmission rear axle application, just don't hammer the throttle in slow speed turns.

Of course if one of them is going to remain stock, you'll have to swap the axles because of your gears, in which case the lockers go to the Lexus.

Your answer is to swap the seats and wheel the white one - all you need is 37's, go poly axles, and if you are really going to get on it, lose that rear e-locker for the Detroit.

Lots of swap trouble for some paint blemishes, speaking of which, can be easily and permanently solved. :hill:

Nay
12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
But based on this quote:

It sounds like Mike wants the truck to read his mind, and when he thinks he needs his axle locked, the actuator fires. ;)

That's a Detroit :D

Hulk
12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Your answer is to swap the seats and wheel the white one.

There is some good advice. Or simply buy new leather for the Lexus and have nice seats in both rigs. Probably cheaper, and they will look wa-a-ay nicer than anything seen in an 80 since it was new. Both Romer and Uncle Ben did this, and it is super sweet.

LARGEONE
12-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Mike...I had aussie lockers in my 40 w/ 37 inch tires and beat it to death. Not sure what others experience is with them, but it was definitely inexpensive for a locker, IIRC ~ $350.00? I think it is similar in design to the detroit? They weren't too bad on turns w/ wet pavement as long as I didn't get on the throttle (v8) and would probably be even less problematic in the 80 due to the power/weight difference. My 40 was fuel injected and with the short wheel base, it could definitely get out from under me. But the locker held up to a lot of punishment.

Nay
12-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Mike...I had aussie lockers in my 40 w/ 37 inch tires and beat it to death. Not sure what others experience is with them, but it was definitely inexpensive for a locker, IIRC ~ $350.00? I think it is similar in design to the detroit? They weren't too bad on turns w/ wet pavement as long as I didn't get on the throttle (v8) and would probably be even less problematic in the 80 due to the power/weight difference. My 40 was fuel injected and with the short wheel base, it could definitely get out from under me. But the locker held up to a lot of punishment.

An Aussie locker is essentially a Lockrite. Not the same as a Detroit.

nuclearlemon
12-18-2009, 08:35 PM
i hate detroits. go aussie...half the money, so if you do break an axle, it's cheaper when you have to replace your scarred and beat locker, also, considerably easier to service on the trail.

Nay
12-20-2009, 08:03 AM
The really compelling reason for the Detroit is typically the underlying diff carrier strength, something you want to upgrade in a weaker half ton axle but perhaps a relative non-issue in the 80?

Bikeman
12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
The idea now is to keep the 80 how it is and mod the LX. For around $3k now, I would build it a little differently:

2.5" medium coils
Slee Blue bushes
1" Roger Brown BL
10"-12" shocks
37" hummer tires on recentered Hummer wheels ($1200)
Detroit or Aussie locker
5.29's with free set-up
No front bumper, but with my patented winch plate with a MM 9000#
No rear bumper, Bob the rear frame 4", weld back in the crossmember, make cheap corner guards.
Deflared
And of course, do the SUT conversion with a nice canvas soft top including a plastic see-thru window. Remove sunroof and have button-on canvas top where it was.

Later:
Front ARB locker
Plumb steering box for hydro assist
Full Cage