PDA

View Full Version : Junk Yards

pmccumber
12-20-2009, 06:23 PM
I just made an offer on a car to replace my 97 Camry. Camry has been fantastic as it has never had to be repaired and is still a great car. But it has been 13 years now.

The Camry needs a new bumper cover. I had an appraisal and it came back at $700 and over $500 of that was the bumper and its prep. If I could get a rear bumper at a junk yard, they said they would only charge me 1.5 hours to put it on.

The repair shop said that 90% of the bumpers that are damaged in wrecks are fronts. I have that gold color that every Camry you see has. Shouldn't there be a rear bumper I could pull somewhere?

Any suggestions?

Paul

TIMZTOY
12-20-2009, 09:39 PM
yea there should be at liest 3 in every junk yard.. and you dont have to get gold.. its easy to paint it unless your wanting show quality.. and im shure if you post up a free bbq and beer there will be at liest 3 ppl to show up and install and possible even paint your bumper for free..

first things get the bumper.. then go from there.

pmccumber
12-21-2009, 08:46 AM
yea there should be at liest 3 in every junk yard.. and you dont have to get gold.. its easy to paint it unless your wanting show quality.. and im shure if you post up a free bbq and beer there will be at liest 3 ppl to show up and install and possible even paint your bumper for free..

first things get the bumper.. then go from there.

I'll get you bbq, beer, AND a fresh Benjamin if I run down a bumper and you come over and put it on!

I am on it this week and next (looking for a bumper cover).

Paul

SteveH
12-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Do a high level Craigslist search on 'Camry' and hit the pick-and-pulls. You may find a clean one in the right color if you look hard enough. The flex additives in the paint drive up bumper repair costs. Maaco was advertising a $199 or $299 bumper paint job a few weeks back - might be quick-and-dirty, if that's what you're looking for. I did a double-take as I couldn't believe they were advertising a whole-car job for that price, and sure enough - it said 'urethane bumper special'.

Squishy!
12-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I'll get you bbq, beer, AND a fresh Benjamin if I run down a bumper and you come over and put it on!

Paul

I'll take you up on that for sure! I'm off the day after Christmas and the following Saturday!

wesintl
12-21-2009, 11:10 AM
this can help: http://www.car-part.com

IMHO it's hit or miss on yard like colorado auto parts and pull n save since it's newer

TIMZTOY
12-21-2009, 10:23 PM

I am on it this week and next (looking for a bumper cover).

Paul

your on!!:cheers:

pmccumber
12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Ok, now I'm motivated to run down a bumper. I probably won't get to it until next week though because of this whole job thing.

But I do appreciate the offers.

Paul