PDA

View Full Version : 8" 5.29 diffs with ARB & Detroit lockers

Air Randy
12-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I have 2 diffs coming out of my mini truck:

Front =4 cyl housing with 5.29 gears and new style ARB locker incl ARB compressor $900 OBO
Rear=4 cyl housing with 5.29 gears and Detroit Locker $600 OBO.

These are 2 years old and still in the truck so you can drive em, exercise them, they work great. I am simply converting to a High Pinion/ARB diff in the front and a V6/Detroit style diff in the rear.

AddictedOffroad
01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Randy, that ARB will work in the HP front diff. Its just a standard V6 ARB with a conversion carrier bearing to fit into the 4cyl housing.

Red_Chili
01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Randy, since you are only making a change from an I4 to V6 diff in the rear, all else being the same... I would run what you got. The I4 diff is VERY strong, especially if the carrier is changed (the only real difference is 2 spiders v. 4 for the V6, yeah, the housing is beef but the I4 is far from weak. Compare it with a Dana 44 sometime!).

Air Randy
01-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Too late, I already got the V6 setup for the rear and installed it yesterday along with the chrome molly axles and disc brakes. :D

If I can't sell the rear detroit unit I'll keep it for a trail spare.

I already installed the new HP front diff too. By the time I messed around with removing the front ARB, buying a master install kit, solid spacer, etc and paying someone to set it up for me it just wasn't worth it. If I can get a reasonable price for the extra arb diff it will have cost me just about the same as converting using the old parts but with a whole lot less hassle.

By the way, I got the new Marlin Crawler billet high steer arms with the 25mm pins and bearings. Those things are massive! Looks like it should be quite an upgrade for the front end.

Red_Chili
01-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Dang d00d, you'll be able to wheelie BACKING up a hill now! :lmao: