PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

wesintl
12-22-2009, 09:05 PM
I just saw it in 3D. I thought the special effects were awesome. The actual plot weak.

The fact that I was in a comfy chair the size of a lazy boy and a couple of tall boy PBR's made it all that much better. The new theatre at the streets of southglen is cool.

Still worth the :twocents: imho

theboomboom
12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I saw the 7 o'clock show with the lady friend sunday night at the streets of southglenn. The only seats available when we got there were at the back of the theater, whoever thought reserved seating at a movie theater was a good idea? But I digress...

I took an anthropology class a year ago and between approaching the movie with that mindset and also comparing it to other current events, I read a deep social commentary behind the plot. It was really enjoyable to watch and I'd go see it again it it wasn't $11 for one ticket :mad:

Beater
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
just got back from 3d myself... unreal

wesintl
12-22-2009, 09:25 PM
yeah.. I totally felt the james cameron going all green on us too :D you mean there were people down stairs? it was nice in the balcony seating. I don't think i'll ever see another movie in a small seat

Beater
12-24-2009, 08:30 AM
I saw it as a simpler issue. "do unto others as you would have them do to you" Funny how as a people, we tend to forget that one.

Red_Chili
12-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Rented District 9 last night. Similar backstory.

Air Randy
12-25-2009, 11:10 AM
We saw Avatar yesterday and it wasn't even in 3D........WOW. Not only were the visual effects amazing, I thought it had a pretty good story too. I mean, it's a sciFi story, how deep and meaningful is it supposed to be?

I didn't really see it as an intentional tree hugger plot. Seemed to me it was necessary to show the connection between the people and the forest to support the plot line.

DaveInDenver
12-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Have not seen it, so take with grain of NaCl... I would like to pay actual money to see it, which is very rare for us. Last movie we saw in the theater was The Simpsons, which was over 2 years ago! Terminator, Alien, yeah he's got the formula down right for SciFi, which means big effects and a plot that's not too difficult. Sigourney Weaver in underwear when you're a teenager doesn't hurt, either.

(political comment follows)

James Cameron made the movie supposedly with the point being that Earth dwellers = Europeans and Na'vi = Native Americans. Dunno, but he is a politically left person and makes little effort to conceal it. I understand he took some thinly veiled swipes at Bush II and the current middle east campaigns. But the way it was described to me by a friend was that it had a very libertarian feel to it, the Na'vi are at the root of it trying to protect their natural property rights against stereotyped imperialistic corporations. Shrug.

TIMZTOY
12-25-2009, 07:27 PM
just got back from avatar.. and OMG awsome movie.. it kinda makes me hate the human race even more than i already do..

Red_Chili
12-26-2009, 08:59 AM
There is much to mourn with the Europeans and Native Americans. Or the US and Vietnamese, they are both purported to be in there. BUT...

Careful with that axe, Eugene.

Remember that it is a particular projection of the human race you hate, and you do well to do so. But that is not the same thing as the human race. I am convinced (sometimes against personal experience) that the good ones outnumber the bad. And if quantum field theory has anything to say about it... one's expectations shape what one finds.

Sorry... reading some Dean Koontz and he always makes me wax philosophical. :lmao: :lmao: