PDA

View Full Version : Quick ARB Question - Lock Washers

rover67
12-22-2009, 11:02 PM
So does anybody have experience with these? The two ARB's that I got had them kinda smashed on, but a lot of them wiggle. They are loose. A few of them actually pulled off with my fingers.

I am tempted to pop them all off so I don't risk them falling off in the housing when I am running. I think those bolts should stay tight....

Maybe I should pull them all out and lock tite them? I am pretty sure I can do that without taking the 3rds all apart again. I spent most of the day today setting them up so I really don't want to do that.

Check out the picture to see the lock washers I'm talking about.

60wag
12-23-2009, 05:06 AM
The older ARBs didn't have those. They must have found a need for them. Do you have a socket that'll fit those funky bolt heads? You could pop them off, flatten them a bit for a tighter fit, then press them back on, ( add some glue to increase the confidence level.)

AxleIke
12-23-2009, 07:59 AM
look like 12 pt heads to me. Should be able to toss a 12pt socket or box wrench on there and be good to go.

Marco, I'm not sure if those have to be there or not. I'm guessing they do. I'd just pull them (as long as you can do so without undoing all of your gear set up) and adjust them so they aren't loose anymore.

Call ARB USA after 9 pacific time, and ask for their tech department. Those guys are VERY helpful, and you should be able to get an answer (assuming they are open).

Red_Chili
12-23-2009, 08:37 AM
You need new lockwashers. I figured the last thing I wanted was bits of metal that could come loose in my diff - so I built one without those. But per Christo, they are needed even augmenting the stay-putness using red locktite (and by the way... use red locktite SPARINGLY, REALLY SPARINGLY. DAMHIK).

So when I got to rebuild and repair that ARB and remove the seeped red locktite from where it shouldn't be (hey! I thought I told you not to ask!), I used branny new washers. It looks like maybe someone in the diff's past tried to reuse them - bad juju. To install them just use an oversize socket and extension as a driver, and tap them in place.

nanuk
12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
I recently asked ARB about those bolts and they said they are "torque to yield" bolts and should be replaced every time they are taken out, even if lock-tite is used. I asked them as I swore I felt one if those washers loose after I took the ARB out of the back of the 80. When it came time to put it back in, I couldn't find the loose one.

Red_Chili
12-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Ya, good point, forgot to say the bolts are indeed single use.

rover67
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Maybe i'll pop them off and smash them a bit to make them tight again. I'll see if I can get ARB on the phone too.

thanks for the input guys!