PDA

View Full Version : Propossed legislation to decommission forest roads

MDH33
12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm all for job creation, but this sounds like a back door way to close trails. I've shortened the text to highlight the language I thought was questionable. The full text can be read here (http://wilderness.org/content/pr-legislation-20091217).

Rep. Sanchez Introduces Legislation to Create New Jobs And Rehabilitate Forests and Parks

December 16, 2009

LOS ANGELES – Congresswoman Linda Sanchez (D-39) has introduced multi-billion dollar legislation that will help create new jobs, remove deteriorating roads that damage forest ecosystems and provide emergency appropriations for the National Park Service, National Forest Service, and Federal Highway Administration for fiscal year 2010.

Sanchez’ bill, The Public Lands Rehabilitation and Job Creation Act, H.R. 4291, will address years of underfunding for public lands and a large number of deferred maintenance projects that can improve our country’s public lands.

The Wilderness Society is particularly supportive of Sanchez’ inclusion of language that will address the expansive network of roads in the nation’s forests that lead to increased soil erosion, degraded water quality, excessive noise, and fragmentation of wildlife habitats. Some of these roads were built for resource extraction and are now obsolete, while others were never authorized but created by off-road vehicles driving cross-country—a practice that will soon be banned.

The bill will fund:

* At least $100 million to identify outdated, unneeded, and damaging roads.
* At least $100 million to restore land damaged by unauthorized roads.
* The remaining $300 million may be used for any type of road work, including road maintenance and road decommissioning.

subzali
12-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Hopefully Greg and the BRC are savvy of this and will fight it...and let us know how to help them when the time comes...

jacdaw
12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Sanchez is slick with the language, for sure. Would not surprise me if she's in bed with the Sierra Club. Her district is completely urban parts of los angeles. What do her constituents care about this in reality? :shakeshead: Thanks for the headsup Martin.

SRT08BUS
12-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe her constituent would rather it go to FIXING DETERIORATING URBAN ROADS THAT DAMAGE THE ECOSYSTEM OF MY CARS SUSPENSION

Red_Chili
12-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Slick wording indeed!
Some of these roads were built for resource extraction and are now obsolete, while others were never authorized but created by off-road vehicles driving cross-country—a practice that will soon be banned.

Note how it was put. The implication is that these roads cropped up via illegal activity. Nope! Cross-country travel was the standard and the norm. For instance... did you know that many of our favorite routes in Moab were created by cross country travel, and mapped out by Dan Mick? Then they banned cross country travel. They were 'user created' and never 'authorized' (until later), but absolutely legitimate. So are the roads described above.