PDA

View Full Version : Leaky inner axle seal (FJ40)

Mendocino
12-23-2009, 04:15 PM
I am putting the Marlin seal in and measureing the upper and lower shim thickness thanks to Subzali and when I popped off the passenger side spindle the mixture of grease and gear oil poured from the knuckle. I was really happy I had a parts pan close by.:eek:

TIMZTOY
12-23-2009, 09:16 PM
it looks like a melted snickers bar..:lmao::lmao::lmao: at liest your tearing it apart for another reason.. and your already into it, instead of find it on the trail during a break

Air Randy
12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Isn't that the one thats been dripping from the hub for over a year now?:D

subzali
12-24-2009, 08:54 AM
that's what mine did the first time I dove into it! Yummy!

Mendocino
12-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Isn't that the one thats been dripping from the hub for over a year now?:D

How nice of you to notice.:rolleyes: And it is one of the ones that has been leaking for over a year.:eek: The other side is all buttoned up nicely now. I'll deal with this messy thing today and should be playing in the snow tomorrow.:cool:

RockRunner
12-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I'll deal with this messy thing today and should be playing in the snow tomorrow.:cool:

No Christmas presents for you this year:confused: Or is the snow your present???

When I got my truck the front end looked just like that before I rebuild it. I think they all do before we get ahold of them;)

Air Randy
12-24-2009, 11:09 AM
How nice of you to notice.:rolleyes: And it is one of the ones that has been leaking for over a year.:eek: The other side is all buttoned up nicely now. I'll deal with this messy thing today and should be playing in the snow tomorrow.:cool:

Hey, just a little peer pressure to "git R done" a little sooner, then maybe it wouldn't be so messy inside :D

Mendocino
12-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey, just a little peer pressure to "git R done" a little sooner, then maybe it wouldn't be so messy inside :D

Speaking of git R done, how is that engine swap coming (Gamma was slow but she was old)? I am still waiting for the 4-speed and bell housing you know!:D

Rzeppa
12-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Looks pretty typical for our annual Wheel Bearing Packing Party. Most of them look like that when they're first torn down.

farnhamstj
12-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I can almost smell that thing from here.

L43dean
12-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Her Mendocino, is that a CV joint in your knuckle photo? And not a Birfield.

Mendocino
12-25-2009, 10:00 PM

It is a Birfield Eliminator Kit (originally made by Warn; see attachment), not a Birfield as you correctly noticed.

corsair23
12-25-2009, 10:01 PM

Warn Birfield Eliminator Kit --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=11333&highlight=bek

Saw it in person at the holiday party while drinking the :beer: we brought for you :D

Edit: Jeff is on top of things...