PDA

View Full Version : Dog Topic

rockcrawlincandi
12-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Hello,

Not many of you don't know me but I'm TIMZTOY's wife. I recently joined and became the seceratary. I also write part time for http://examiner.com. I recently published my first article. If anyone has a dog and are looking for great tips on how to train and/or clean your dog, look me up on the site. I am currently writing pieces on how to train your dog to do basic skills. The articles will follow suite so, if you become a subscriber you can keep up with all the training tips. Log on to the site and set your page to Aurora, Co. I am the Aurora Dog Care Examiner. I have a recent article so my piece should pop up directly under pets. It is a really cool website. Besides me there are great tips on anything you can think of. Plus up to date news and weather in your community. Thanks a bunch and have a Happy Holiday.

corsair23
12-24-2009, 01:25 PM
That is VERY :cool: Cindi

Can you help with a dog that is scared to death of me and wants to be wherever I am not? :hill:

We are guessing he was abused by a male before the sister-in-law bought him as a birthday present for my daughter...Yeah, not really ever a good idea IMO to buy someone else a dog but she did and he is ours now (going on 3 yrs). He is a little bicho frise and aside from his "male-phobia", he is a good dog.

rockcrawlincandi
12-24-2009, 02:29 PM
That one is tricky. I have met a lot of dogs that are afraid of males.
I have some tips on what not to do and what should work. Your dog obviously has trust issues. The only way to make friends with your dog is to gain it's trust.
A good way to do this is to always stay on your dog's level.
So, don't hover over him or command him to do things while standing over him. If you want him to trust you, you will have to crouch down to his size. I know that can be difficult when dealing with a small dog but just imagine what things look like from his point of view. Pretty scary.

When training dogs at the humane society, we were always told to go into the cage as if it were ours and then sit on the floor.
Never make eye contact at first. Some dogs can find this very threating.

Another good trick is to start feeding him. Just fill his bowl and only feed him when he is looking at you. This lets him know that you are a provider and maybe your not all that bad. Be very consistent with this. Don't just do it once and expect him to catch on.

A good one is to take some treats, I like using hot dogs or pieces of cheese. (not too much cheese), just make sure the pieces are small, hot dogs or anything you use, and sit in the corner. Let him know you have the treats. A good way to do this is to place the treats around you. You can make a trail if you like. Do not move when he is getting the treats. He is watching everything you do. If you make a sudden movement you will have to start the process over again. So, sit in your corner and wait. He will gradually take the treats. Have your hand out with a good amount of treats inside. Make sure your other hand is free and where he can see it.
If he gets close enough to take the treats out of your hand and you feel like he isn't too threatened (remember, he is still on high alert) then, take your other hand and place it gently on his back side.
If he doesn't move, then gradually pet him. Not on the head, just on his back. If you feel comfortable and see that the dog is doing well, you can add your voice to comfort him. Dogs love praise. So everyonce in a while add in a very upbeat 'good dog' or a 'it's okay'.

This is a great trust building exercise. I want you to know that this exercise will not work at first. It could take days. But if you can set aside time each day to do this same task, he will grow to trust you and eventually not run away from you. When working with dogs, be very consistent. Dogs are creatures of habit. They enjoy the same things all the time. It makes them feel safe. Which is what you want.
When he trust you enough in the house, you can eventually take him for walks. Always remember to be very patient with dogs. They have an excellent memory, especially with tramatic events. I hope this works, it should have great results.
I once trained two chiwawas (not spelt right) that had MAJOR trust issues. They would pee everywhere and try to nip you. I just followed these tips and they became my best friends. Good luck and let me know how it's going. :thumb:

SRT08BUS
12-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I agree with RCC (sorry great but long name) I've dealt with dogs that have been skitish(sp?) and sitting on the floor with them seems to help a lot, but of course use your head. I found that abused animals go one way or another, they get over it in time and become the most dedicated companion to all in the family, or they always have it in the back of their mind and bond to one person. But this dose not mean that they can't be a great pet, they just might retain that fear and they have to over come it every time it appears. I had a horse that I was taking care of that would freak out every time that a person with a big rimed hat and/or sunglasses, he was also skitish around men. I started working with him every day trying to gain his trust. Long story short , I started wearing a hat, then sun glasses and then anything that i thought might help and now (3 years later) I can get a blanket on him with out getting killed (he did not like stuff on his back).

One question, dose the dog have issues with all males, is he alright with kids?