PDA

View Full Version : 60 Gets ARB's, Longfields, 4.88's, and Poly Pros

rover67
12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Not much tech here, but I figured I'd update you guys.

On the 21st I took the two rearends I got that had 5.29's in them to Mikes place. Mike is the guy I worked for for 15 years ago for about 6 years. He taught me how to weld, machine, and wrench on all kinds of stuff. It was nice to work with him again and I knew I needed his help on these diffs. We got both of them torn down and I hammered on the ring gears no problem. For the rear diff it took a little grinding to get the cross shaft to fit through, but we got it.

Rear diff setup pretty nicely with the shims that were in it before. we just dropped in the new pinion with the old shims and went for it. after setting the backlash which was drifting from .008 to .006 we ran a pattern and it looked really nice. I tore it apart threw the crush sleeve in and went to torque the pinion nut down. We had to make up a big peice of angle to bolt to the flange so we could crush the sleeve. I'm talking like 4 foot bars here. We got it tightened down and mike set the preload on the pinion bearing by feel. felt right to me too for whatever that's worth. He tightened them down untill you couldn't hear the cage/rollers rattling then went a little more. I felt it and it seemed reasonable to me. Threw the ring gear back in and set the backlash again. We marked the adjusting nuts so it was easy to find the right spot again. We didn't use the zuk 100ft/lb method, we just went a few clicks past zero and called it good just like the manual says. Mike said that these carriers were really stout looking and they'd be fine. He mentioned that he sets up Miata (spec racer) rearends by measuring the spread of the carrier bearings. I thought that was interesting.

The front diff went together just as easily but was harder to get a good pattern on. first two times it was too deep, so we pulled shims out till it looked alright. I set this one up basically by myself so I was pretty proud. Mike set the pinion preload for me since he had the "feel".

Had the debacle about the little lock washers.. I ended up leaving them off. I checked the torque on all the bolts for the ARB and they seemed really tight so I figured they'd be alright. hopefully they will. I really didn't want to have one fall off and in my time crunch couldn't get new ones from ARB.

I also had to leave the spacer block in the rear diff since there was no way it was going in and out with the ring gear bolted in. I was guessing I could get the c clips in with it floating in there (and was right, but it was a bit*h)

ok, here are some pics. Not too many, but you get the idea of what's going on.

rover67
12-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Pics... First one shows the spider gear thrust washer how I pulled it out. We ran it.

Patterns are first rear diff, then second is the front diff.

Here ya go:

rover67
12-26-2009, 07:37 PM
More pics.

The ground tooth for the cross shaft and the lock washers I deleted. I only took them off of the froint diff, they were tight on the rear diff still:

rover67
12-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Next step on the 22'nd was to pull the old rear diff and see what was up. The old locker looked great still which surprises me because of how much banging it did. Seems par for the course though.. everybody says they bang, and all the dissasembled ones look good. This one is spoken for so don't get your hopes up..

I noticed a cracked spring plate while I was under there... Good thing I had the flip kit shipped here ;)

Took apart the spring packs cleaned them and greased them. I am hoping this will make it not creak and pop any more. Threw the flip kit on.

I like the flip kit. It raised the lower shock mount about and inch... before the axle was hanging on the shock, it was limiting the travel a bit. Now the shocks aren't.

rover67
12-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Went ahead and hammered out the old wheel bearings. I think they were only in there a year but whatever. I was there so why not right? Threw in new ones and new seals.

Then the diff and the Poly Pros went in. I had to wiggle the c-clips in there with that block still installed, but managed to get it. ARB gives you lots of different c clips to use to reduce slop and it took me a few times to get the best ones installed. I didn't take any pics of that process but it involved a few hours of fishing c clips out of the carrier and dropping in new ones...

Also included a pic of the tool I made to hammer out the wheel bearings from the opposite side. Slap hammer was in Denver so I had to improvise...

rover67
12-26-2009, 08:00 PM
So I slapped on the rear cover and filled it with 80/90 from napa. Rear done.

Front next. Yanked off the hubs and associated crapola. I think this was on the 24th or thereabouts. Grease in the knuckles still looked good, but that's not too surprising since I did them along with Marlin seals before the Ghost Town Run.

In went the Longfields which fit nicely with no knuckle grinding, the chromo hub gears, and the ARB front third. It went together surprisingly well. I was happy because I was dreading having to grind the knuckle housings to make the axles fit like the website said.

The Longfields looked suuuper nice. They came packed with some red grease that they said to leave so I did. I backed it up with my moly ep grease I always use for the birfs.. maybe it'll make brown.

rover67
12-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Next up was hooking up the solenoids and switches which was easy since the harness was already there from when I did the compressor. I hooked up something wrong and blew a fuse the first time, that was really frustrating. We had that stuff done last night.

Included are a few pics. I think it looks nice.

Today I drove it and had a horrible vibration. I realized that the driveshaft was put together 180 degrees out. I fixed it today and it runs pretty smoothly. No real bad vibrations. Tomorrow we leave to head back to Denver.

It's been a busy Christmas. Oh and it also got some brand new Goodyear MT/R kevlar sidewall tires. I like them a lot so far.

wesintl
12-26-2009, 08:21 PM
cool, love the pics

where's the pics of the old gears?

rover67
12-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Forgot the pic of the old gear in the rear.. probably because it was not really that bad. It looked just like it looked in Denver. The pinion bearings looked good too. Really surprising given what it went through with the day's driving really overtightened, and the pinion nut having been really really loose twice.

rover67
12-26-2009, 09:33 PM
The test drive today was to the skeet shooting course. Pretty fun stuff except for the fact that the drive shaft was vibrating really badly. That was dissapointing again. The maiden voyage and it did it with a blown fuse for the lockers and vibrating it's butt off. It was nice to be out there with Mom, Dad, my brother and his girlfriend. I did pretty poorly. It's been too long.

Guy in the parking lot says "I laaak yur truuuk". I got a kick out of that.

subzali
12-27-2009, 09:31 AM
wow, super Merry Christmas for the 60! Good work!

FJBRADY
12-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Guy in the parking lot says "I laaak yur truuuk".

aka "you got a pretty mouth" :eek:

RockRunner
12-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Nice job, looks like you got a lot done over the break. Should be good to see you on the trail hooking up those new MTR's with that ARB.

Crash
12-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Marco,
Keep an eye on the rear axles. The picture shows what my long (driver) side Poly Performance axle looked like after 5,000 miles. Not pretty and it wasn't the first Poly 60 axle displaying this symptom that Christo had to deal with . Poly wasn't friendly in rectifying the situation, either.

60wag
12-27-2009, 11:03 AM
That just the self retaining feature to take the load off the C-clip :)

Jacket
12-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Merry Xmas indeed! That's a helluva upgrade for the 60. How was it on the long drive back to Boulder?

Uncle Ben
12-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Marco,
Keep an eye on the rear axles. The picture shows what my long (driver) side Poly Performance axle looked like after 5,000 miles. Not pretty and it wasn't the first Poly 60 axle displaying this symptom that Christo had to deal with . Poly wasn't friendly in rectifying the situation, either.

WOW! Obviously you must not be using Toyota Red! :eek: :lmao::lmao::lmao:

nakman
12-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Marco,

Wow, did all that metal go somewhere? Or just get displaced/squished in? :eek:

RicardoJM
12-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Great work Marco.:thumb:

Bruiser
12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Congrats on the upgrade and thanks for the pics.:beer:

Crash
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Wow, did all that metal go somewhere? Or just get displaced/squished in? :eek:

New OEM axle bearings were installed at the time the axles were and Amsoil Severe Gear 75-110 diff lube was used. Several cans of brake cleaner and four drains and fills with petroleum 89-90 weight over a two month period and metal particles are still coming out. :rant: Poly Performance gave Ben and Christo differing stories on what was up with their axles and sent back an unfinished looking replacement for the obviously screwed up long axle. They charged me for shipping both ways for the short axle and one way for the long axle as they determined the short axle was okay. They said something about a few axles slipped through their rigorous testing procedures and that they were fixing that problem with their supplier. :mad::mad: Not a good experience.

Uncle Ben
12-28-2009, 03:48 PM
New OEM axle bearings were installed at the time the axles were and Amsoil Severe Gear 75-110 diff lube was used. Several cans of brake cleaner and four drains and fills with petroleum 89-90 weight over a two month period and metal particles are still coming out. :rant: Poly Performance gave Ben and Christo differing stories on what was up with their axles and sent back an unfinished looking replacement for the obviously screwed up long axle. They charged me for shipping both ways for the short axle and one way for the long axle as they determined the short axle was okay. They said something about a few axles slipped through their rigorous testing procedures and that they were fixing that problem with their supplier. :mad::mad: Not a good experience.

Hmmmm....wasn't Amsoil in the engine when you lost oil pressure?

Crash
12-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes it was and it was determined that it was an Amsoil oil filter that caused the oiling problem. Amsoil diff lubes have been in the front and rear axles for over 100K miles in the 62 with absolutely no problems while running stock axles. Thanks to Ige for letting me borrow the stock axles that I sold her after installing the Poly axles.

leiniesred
12-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Dang Marco!

I'll follow you on the snow run! New meats, V8, locker....Yeah. Long way from the bald 31s. you are gunna have peak fun!

rover67
12-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Marco,

Yikes man! Thanks for sharing the story. I hope these don't end up like that... I got them from somebody else, not directly from poly so I can imagine what that conversation would be like. So far so good though, we just rolled in from Memphis, it was over 1100 miles the way we went and I guess the rear shafts are OK because I didn't notice anything weird. Maybe I should look at them after a few more thousand miles.

The setup is really nice, I like the gearing a lot with the 4.88's. The H55 feels nice and short, and the spread between the gears is great now. no more retarded gaps in the powerband with the big differences in the gears.

The rearends are both quiet, and it cruised the whole way back at about 3k RPM and about 74MPH. My MPG did drop quite a bit though, I think 70mph is the magic speed now.

I really love having an open diff on the street again, that I didn't realize how badly I missed.

I also tried to climb a big snow bank in a parking lot today and it was nice to have all 4 pulling with the touch of a few buttons.

:)

rover67
12-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Dang Marco!

I'll follow you on the snow run! New meats, V8, locker....Yeah. Long way from the bald 31s. you are gunna have peak fun!

No kidding. It has changed a lot in three years. Now I have to learn how to use the lockers..

jacdaw
12-28-2009, 08:29 PM
No kidding. It has changed a lot in three years. Now I have to learn how to use the lockers..Marco, I'm looking for a passenger seat for the snow run, if you've got one available.

rover67
12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Marco, I'm looking for a passenger seat for the snow run, if you've got one available.

I might, we'll chat as it gets closer. I don't know if Allison wants to go or not yet. Even then I might if I leave Mead at home.