PDA

View Full Version : DougDad's 2001 Tacoma Front Receiver

leiniesred
12-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Well shoot. My write-up post didn't upload or something. Here is the short version.

My Dad, Dougdad, has a perfect stock 2001 Tacoma. He has wheeled it very little (Martinez canyon, coke ovens...great spotter!) He came out to visit me at CruiseMoab '09 and had a great time with my 4runner. He works with a guy who just started racing a 1600cc SCORE type buggy. They took the Tacoma out and bashed it through some canyon trails at 40mph and had a great time, but now realize they need a little more than the Tacoma can offer.

DougDad's Tacoma is a daily driver and gets used to pull his 1970 Mustang racecar to local races. Now, it will have the new role of buggy recovery truck and parts/beerrrun desert racing support truck. Not a pre-runner. So Dougdad wants to make some mods that won't impact his streetability, yet give him a little better than stock ability off-pavement.

Sure big tires and lockers are in the plan, but we're in no hurry here. So I start watchin' craigslist and came up with a $200 Warn M8000. He found a $50 Warn receiver mount for it in AZ. Lin and I drove down to AZ in November for a quick visit. We decided to build a front receiver for his Tacoma. Requirements? Stealth and bolt-on.

We bought $60 worth of steel at the scrapyard. We used about 1/2 of it for this project. 6' of 2x2 .25wall. 1' .25 wall receiver stock, and 4 feet of 8", 3/8ths plate.

We took off the bumper. Hmm. Not much steel on the front of this thing.
I cut off the stock frame end caps and made new ones out of heavy plate with a 7/8" hole drilled in the center. I put a 7/8" bolt though the hole. Welded the bolt to the back, and then welded my new frame end plates with 7/8" studs to the end of the frame rails.

I built L shaped brackets to pick up the 7/8" bolts and the stock tow hook holes. I used a gusset on the inside to stabalize the L. I put a chunk of 2x2 tube on the end of the "L" bracket and a piece of thin plate on the front end to provide a mount for the stock front lower metal bumper which kind of holds up the plastic lower bumper on this truck.

I bolted up the new frame extensions and layed a pice of 2x2 across them. I cut a space for the receiver stock and welded that together. Then I rested the new crossmember on my custom frame extensions and welded those together. 2 weekends ago, Dougdad took it back off to weld the stock skidplate bracket to the new frame extensions and add some gussets.

This Father-Son Project came out great. A steathy front receiver mount that kept all of the pieces in place to maintain stock look and performance. No impact to approach angles. Everything still bolts right up! All I added was a little bit more weight to the front end. Wow. We make it all look so simple, eh?!

corsair23
12-29-2009, 02:01 PM
:cool:

:thumb:

RockRunner
12-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Very nice, may be a market out there for something like this.

Ron Helmuth
12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
nicely done! very slick

nice finds on the winch and receiver

DaveInDenver
12-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Can tell that you two are related. He's a much, much, much better looking version of you. Bumper is sweet, which I would expect no less from a Rudy.

leiniesred
01-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey thanks, DaveInDenver. I guess looks are one of those things that "skip a generation!"

rover67
01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Looks nice man, really slick. I like stuff like that that keeps a stock look and is functional.