PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking for extra$$$ to put a clutch in!

Evrgrnmtnman
04-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm looking for someone that is a mechanic or has experience putting clutches in Toyota Pickups that wants to make some extra cash, without me paying these high prices that shops want. I have a 88 Pickup, W56 22re
Let me know,
CJ

Red_Chili
04-13-2006, 02:16 PM
My son possesses such skills. In fact, he recently did his own on an identical truck. He also needs the cash; I will ping him.

Evrgrnmtnman
04-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks and let me know........

Red_Chili
04-14-2006, 03:15 PM
He's gonna think about it today and get back to me. He is a little reluctant to do it without all the shop niceties... but fer pities sake, I swapped a tranny with hand tools, sheesh, these kids are :Princess: s. :lmao:

Hope he doesn't see this.... :p:

Ya know, another alternative is I could loan you the jack and tranny adapter and provide all the useless long-distance advice you could ever want...

What prices are you being quoted? It is time consuming but not very hard. There's a 'gotcha' with the upper bellhousing bolts, but some of that useless advice (and a few loaned extensions) should solve that.

Evrgrnmtnman
04-15-2006, 10:04 AM
That sounds great.. Yep, I heard the tranny jack is a must! Quotes from $600-800 range is what I'm finding. I found a Toy Mech. that would do it for $400 but he's booked into May. With some help I was thinking I could do it..........

Toybreaker
04-15-2006, 11:21 AM
I will spectate for beer. :grinpimp:

Evrgrnmtnman
04-15-2006, 02:36 PM
I will spectate for beer. :grinpimp:

How about for "beers" as in many? That's what the Haynes Automotive Repair Manual is for...........

Red_Chili
04-17-2006, 09:37 AM
It really is pretty simple. The two top bolts on the housing are hard to get to, I used like three extensions and a breaker bar to bust 'em loose. All that twist got my attention, but it worked fine. 17mm heads IIRC. I also used a strong wobbly end as the angle is a bit odd.

Then pull the flywheel and get it resurfaced - be sure the d00d knows about the 'step' in the flywheel and machines it too, or your new clutch won't work and it will lead to grouchy mood swings.

Some elect to replace the rear mainseal at that time, others say if it ain't broke don't fix it because the odds of getting a new leak are high. YMMV. You will need a clutch pilot tool of course to reassemble the clutch, IIRC most reman Toy clutches (the best value) come with them? Cheap to buy if not.

Red_Chili
04-17-2006, 09:40 AM
If that guy's price is $400 inclusive of parts, I would have HIM do it! It's a deal. Justin elected to not do it without the lift, spoiled kids, whattya gonna do with 'em? Can't sell 'em, can't BBQ 'em, guess I gotta accept him.

Rzeppa
04-18-2006, 10:45 AM
I spoke with CJ on the phone, and he's not sure he's got a clutch problem or not. His was just replaced a year ago, and his symptom just started when he replaced his slave (and master too I think). He's going to rally the dogsh!t out of it and see if it seems to be the clutch itself or just the adjustment.

Red_Chili
04-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Ah, if it's hydraulics, I have a Motive Power bleeder that will cure all ills. CJ, be sure you replaced both master and slave (I'm sure Jeff toldja that already). You can use my Motive Power bleeder, or better yet, pick one up off the info superhighway. One of my absolute favorite tools!

Rzeppa
04-18-2006, 02:27 PM
CJ's problem started when he first installed the new slave and master recently. It doesn't sound like there's air in it, it sounds like it may need further adjustment...maybe? I don't know if the 22RE slave has an adjustable rod length like Land Cruisers do. He said he adjusted the rod at the pedal.

I need to use a power bleeder, but don't know when the next time I'm going to be down in the flatlands. Are you still in Littleton?

Anyway, I need to move the temporary 71 brake master from the 78 truck to the 71 and install it, install the proper 78 master into the 78 truck, bleed all 8 cylinders in the truck and also the 71. There's more, but you get the idea...lots of brake work and lots of bleeding. It's one thing to get Linda to help when I'm just doing a little, but we're talking more than she has patience for :-)

Evrgrnmtnman
04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
After further pedal adjustment from the height adustment bolt at the top of the pedal. The clutch has stopped slipping and is working properly now. Just strange how it all started after the installation of the Slave Cylinder. For future reference all adjustments on the pedal must be made after installing new hydraulic components and bleed the system. It is sure better than having to replace the clutch!

Red_Chili
04-25-2006, 01:31 PM
...I need to use a power bleeder, but don't know when the next time I'm going to be down in the flatlands. Are you still in Littleton?

Renting in Centennial, near University and Dry Creek area. The Littleton house is now dismembered and remembered mostly. Shoot me a call when you need to use it! It may require some ethnic engineering to get on the clutch master, but what a joy it is... hey, Welsh-Irish is an ethnicity, ain't it??!?