PDA

View Full Version : Wiring advice

theboomboom
01-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I have started outlining a plan for the build-up of my truck and I'm now seeking advice in an area I have fairly limited experience in- wiring aftermarket accessories.

By the time it is all said and done, I anticipate having a pair or two of offroad lights, ham and cb radio, a low output 2-channel amp (maybe 50-100w?) and a winch. I've installed most of these myself before, but never all of them into one vehicle. In the past, to power the devices, I've unscrewed the retaining nut for the battery cable, slipped the positive wire over it and then retightened everything back together. This always worked well but I haven't ever installed more than two devices on to a single battery this way.

Would it be wise to add something like a separate fuse block I could wire everything in to? Is there a specific brand/model you all would reccomend for this application? Is there a better way to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Tch2fly
01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
A secondary fuse block is the best idea. It will make your life much easier down the road. Make that your first plan of action and wiring the accessories will be a snap.

I have used Blue Seas (as have others on the boards) and have been very pleased. Take a run down to the West Marine on County Line and you can look at what they have and decide what works for you ... then shop on line for the best prices.

I would mount it in the cab but under the hood would work if you are pressed for space. You will need to run a decent size cable from the battery. The cable size will depend on the length of the run and how much current you will draw. There are several easy ways to run cable through the firewall so don't let that worry you.

Good luck post up any questions:thumb:

jacdaw
01-01-2010, 06:35 PM
In my '80 RN47 I am running everything you want, except winch, through the factory fuse block, and am using relays for every load. My Hella 500 fogs are only 55w and are triggered by the front marker light circuit. Do not trigger yours off the low or high beam circuit. For some reason the Hilux headlight circuit doesn't like seeing extra load, even just to trigger your relay. I tried triggering it off the high, low and even the common in the headlight pigtail with bad results.

When I install the second battery (after the weather warms up), I will add a fuse block to the second battery to run all the accessories and an inverter. I like marine-grade fuse blocks and outlets because of the protection from and resistance to salt and moisture, even though it's not a huge problem here. Think of it as insurance. West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreStreetMapView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&streetlatitude=39.56598800000000000000000000&streetlongitude=-104.91770800000000000000000000&stroeid=193) has a location on the south side.

Also, if you ever want to compare with another first gen mini 4x4, I'm happy to come down. Dean can help you out as well. I've also seen a shortbed 82 or 83 at the past two club meetings. Haven't figured out who that is yet.

subzali
01-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Look for Rezarf's fuse block install either here or on MUD and that could help...

leiniesred
01-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Oh yeah. Start by pulling a nice fat #10 wire with a Big 'ol inline fuse or fusible link right up at the battery. Wire that into a place in the cab with enough room for a fusebox.
Now generate a wiring diagram documenting your changes.

I wish I had. I've added or removed electrical doo-dads many times over the last 12 years. No I have no idea what goes where anymore! It all made sense as I installed the stuff, but now? Not good!

farnhamstj
01-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I use a Blue Seas that powers a HAM and CB. I ran a 4 guage from the battery with a 100A fuse. Mounted the fuse block on the passanger side firewall. Drilled through teh firewall with a step drill bit. I got a rubber gromet to help with chafing. Winch goes directly to the batt. not fuseblock

theboomboom
01-01-2010, 07:13 PM
John- if you're going to be at the next meeting I would love to check out your truck and hear more about how you'll be setting up your dual batteries. Everyone else I appreciate the reccomendations, I'll be stopping by west marine in the near future.

TIMZTOY
01-01-2010, 10:00 PM
if you in the littelton or aurora area i have alot of wiring experance.. even toyota trained and certified. if ya care

Hants
01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Secondary fuse block is the way to go. Mine has #4 wire, both + and -, and 80A fuse right behind the battery. Currently running my HAM and 4 aux outlets. This winter, I'll be adding more accessories.

I think I have a 12 outlet Blue Sea box left over, and a fair bit of marine-grade #4 wire (fine, pre-tinned). PM me if you're interested.

jacdaw
01-01-2010, 11:24 PM
<snip>I think I have a 12 outlet Blue Sea box left over, and a fair bit of marine-grade #4 wire (fine, pre-tinned). PM me if you're interested.Rick, jump on this or I will.

I'll be at the meeting.

theboomboom
01-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Rick, jump on this or I will.

I'll be at the meeting.

I'm still midway in the research process, if this is something you're really interested in you're welcome to grab it before someone else does. Honestly I'm not sure its exactly what I want or not :confused: :p:

nakman
01-02-2010, 08:31 AM
...I've unscrewed the retaining nut for the battery cable, slipped the positive wire over it and then retightened everything back together. This always worked well but I haven't ever installed more than two devices on to a single battery this way.

Rick one thing that hasn't been mentioned is you should get yourself some really good military battery terminals, like this http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/terminals/terminals.html even with the harness you'll likely still end up with a bunch of junk run to the battery, and it's good practice to keep all the attached wires separate from the clamp at the battery terminal.

Depending on the load you're either going to run power straight from the battery to a relay, then switch that relay on with a switch coming off your new fuse block (driving lights) or you're going to just run the power from the fuse block (seat heaters, fridge, your LED ground lights). The lower draw stuff you can run straight off the fuse block.

...I've added or removed electrical doo-dads many times over the last 12 years. No I have no idea what goes where anymore! It all made sense as I installed the stuff, but now? Not good!..

Couldn't be more true- my other suggestion is take some extra time to label things, particularly near the firewall.. so a few years from now you'll remember what the "blue" one is for. :D

rover67
01-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Hensley Battery has the nice military terminal clamps for a good price. I don't remember how much, but I remember thinking it was much cheaper than anything I could find online.

I'd do an aux fuse box with a switched side so you can have things turn off when the truck turns off. Treeroot had a few for sale a little while back, he may still have some. The marine ones look really nice, yo umay want to do one of those, it'd be bomb proof and be able to handle anything as far as current goes. Hensley Battery also had GREAT prices on cable with crimped ends made up however you'd want.

theboomboom
01-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Secondary fuse block is the way to go. Mine has #4 wire, both + and -, and 80A fuse right behind the battery. Currently running my HAM and 4 aux outlets. This winter, I'll be adding more accessories.

I think I have a 12 outlet Blue Sea box left over, and a fair bit of marine-grade #4 wire (fine, pre-tinned). PM me if you're interested.

PM sent