PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in Rubithon 2010?

Air Randy
01-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I've read all of the threads from where the Rising Sun group went to Rubicon in 2008 and I've been reading all about it in a number of different magazines.

I would REALLY like to do Rubithon this year if anyone else is interested or if we want to try and put a club run together.

FJBRADY
01-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Very interested.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Couple of us have been kicking around the idea..

timmbuck2
01-04-2010, 01:45 PM
very interested...

Air Randy
01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Chris,

You went in 08 didn't you? If so, lead us newbies through a discussion of what it's all about and what we can benefit from lessons learned in 08.

I would drive my Dodge truck out trailering my wheeling rig and staying in the truck camper along the way to the trailhead. Then I believe you camp out of your trail rig for the next 3 or 4 days? Looks like they have standard TLCA vehicle requirements with the additional requirement of each rig having a port-a-potty of some sort?

corsair23
01-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Randy,

Lots of useful information can probably be found here from the '08 trip planning

Rubithon 2008 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=25)

I'm hoping to go back in 2013 :D

jacdaw
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
<snip>with the additional requirement of each rig having a port-a-potty of some sort?Bumper Dumper (http://www.bumperdumper.com/tocart.htm) is how my buddies and I have done it for years...
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/quinn.jpg

Hulk
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Randy,

Lots of useful information can probably be found here from the '08 trip planning

Rubithon 2008 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=25)

I'm hoping to go back in 2013 :D

When you click on this link, you'll see no threads. Change the Display Options to show all threads "From the Beginning" so you can see all the stuff there.

corsair23
01-04-2010, 06:32 PM
When you click on this link, you'll see no threads. Change the Display Options to show all threads "From the Beginning" so you can see all the stuff there.

I must have my settings different 'cuz I see the threads :confused: - But thanks for the heads up so people don't think I'm a dork (not that there is anything wrong with that of course :D)

2013 in a FJ40? We'll have to pack a LOT lighter :lmao:

RockRunner
01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
We may be in depending on dates, since we missed the last one to medical reasons :( With limited vacation time this year time will be valuable to us.

AxleIke
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Blarg...

Man this is tempting, Its just going to depend on how well the truck does with tweaks and adjustments and the new tires.

And, this would have to be in place of CM, which is also super tempting, since its at the new location....

Hmmm....Decisions, decisions....

Rock Dog
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
2013 in a FJ40? We'll have to pack a LOT lighter :lmao:

After seeing the stuff you brought last time, and seeing how tight Chis and i were packed in his orange FJ40 (nickname Knuckles :D at least on that trail :rolleyes:)...
I cannot wait to see you shoe horn everything in.. i would go just to see it...

I am kicking around the idea of taking the runner and trying to spank the trail like Cheeseman did.... but wanted to see what the club run may be this year.... Black Hills was great last year..

SRT08BUS
01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Not unless I get some kind of bail out.:bowdown: This year I'm keeping it local, a better know my woods year. But next year I'd be down for sure, or unless I can nag the boss.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Sure Randy, yes I was there. I was not part of the official Rising Sun run that year, I was allowed to participate in the first all FJCruiser run. (Thanks Robbie) But I would be happy to help in any way, with some thoughts about the trip.

Dave Brown has to be the most experienced on the Rubicon in our club and then probably his daughter Kim, They both have done it many years. Robbie has also done it a bunch of years. I think this past year Robbie did it backwards and forwards pulling a trailer...

Probably best to give yourself 2 days to get there and maybe a day and half to get home.

It is best to arrive in Tahoe by Monday. That way you can have Tuesday to get out of the rig and walk about for a day, otherwise you are in the rig too many days in a row. Groups hit the trail at specific times on Wednesday. This year they shortened the event by a day. They used to start on Wednesday and end on Saturday night with raffle, this year the ended on Friday night.

I think the requirements are 33' min tires, one locker, winch, fire extinguisher and port-a-pottie. But you will want to have at least 34' tires or close to it, skid plates, rock rails, spare parts, 1 5 gallon fuel can and some type of electric fridge. Ice is hard to come by out there, unless someone in a buggy, makes an ice run.

You would also want to beef up your lower control arms if you have a FJCruiser, not sure if this is ncessary with FJ40s.

There are some short water features and as long as the rain is not whacko, you probably do not need a snorkel.

I would minimize what you have to carry on the roof. There is a bunch of off camber features, especially Cadillac hill, no need to add to your pucker factor..Leave the RTTs at home.

There are more mesquitos in this area then the human population in China, so bring bug repellent. If your rig has a hard top and you can roll up your windows, you are pretty happy.

I think bascially you just have to be smart, bring your A game every day and your patience, it is slow going and technical.