PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty ARB air line

rover67
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
hello everybody..

So the little blue plastic ARB air lines lasted me one snow run. The rear is still in tact but the front one got all jacked (melted, broken). I routed the lines in the best place possible, which ended up not being far enough away from exhaust or snow getting pushed around the front axle.

Is there soemwhere local I could go to get the stuff to make up a new nice one (the fittings on the diff and solenoid look kinda funky) or should I order one like this:

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/JeepParts/Product.aspx?folder=JPACA&part=RE1591

I've called a few 4WD shops locally and they don't have anything in stock.

I guess I am looking for a place that has either the stuff to make up a braided SS line, or a nice thick rubber line with the right fittings.

Any suggestions?

This place was next to me in Memphis and is kind of what i'm wondering if it exists here.

http://www.godmanhiperformance.com/

RockRunner
01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I had a similar problem with my 91 4runner. I would either break the line or melt it. What i did to cure the problem was slide it into a SS braided line so it was as protected as possible. You could still rip it off the diff but I never had that happen.

Just a thought if you can't find anything.

Air Randy
01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
If you want the standard ARB stuff (fittings, blue line, spring reinforcer) I have the new kit that came with my new ARB unit. I don't need that stuff for a while if you need it right away.

On my 40 I bought the reinforced SS line like your link shows. If you call 4wheel parts one of their stores probably has one in stock.

Even with the SS line, you should bend it over to the axle tube as much as possible (or use an elbow fitting) so you can attach it to the axle tube as much as possible. Then have it go up to the frame where your brake line does (attach it to that line). Even though the SS line is orders of magnitude stronger than the blue plastic, if you take enough snow or deep water hits you could still break it off.

Uncle Ben
01-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Poly Performance sells made up SS ARB lines of multiple choice lengths. I have a 10% discount code I'll share with you if you go that route.

rover67
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the help Guys!! :thumb: Poly Performance has what I need so I am going to go that route, thanks for the lead UB.

Uncle Ben
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the help Guys!! :thumb: Poly Performance has what I need so I am going to go that route, thanks for the lead UB.

Want the discount code?

rover67
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Please :)

rover67
01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
OK, so a quick update. I called Poly Performance to actually order the stuff and they are out of stock on the lines and -3 fittings. They had the adapters for the ARB fittings so I got them.

Anybody know a place that has Russel hose and fittings locally? I just need some -3 fittings and -3 brake line hose. I guess Aeroquip would work as well.

rover67
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Just ordered the -3 lines and fittings from www.jegs.com

I got 90 degree fittings for the axles to keep it all nice and tucked in and a bunch of line. They had pretty good pricing and it gets here on friday with their standard shipping.

I figured why not, and I don't have to drive anywhere.

Thanks again to everybody for the help and suggestions!

Uncle Ben
01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
OK, so a quick update. I called Poly Performance to actually order the stuff and they are out of stock on the lines and -3 fittings. They had the adapters for the ARB fittings so I got them.

Anybody know a place that has Russel hose and fittings locally? I just need some -3 fittings and -3 brake line hose. I guess Aeroquip would work as well.

Locally, Mark Williams Enterprises has what you seek but unless you speak NHRA your gonna pay retail. Forget the names but hopefully Ige will chime in.....there is a place in Communist City and also one in Arvada that can take very good care of your braided SS lines and fitting needs.

nuclearlemon
01-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Locally, Mark Williams Enterprises has what you seek but unless you speak NHRA your gonna pay retail. Forget the names but hopefully Ige will chime in.....there is a place in Communist City and also one in Arvada that can take very good care of your braided SS lines and fitting needs.

aai in arvada, can't remember the name of the place in c-town

zornff
01-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Curt @ Cruiser Outfitters has this stuff in stock.

Shark Bait
01-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I thought the advantage of the blue line was that it is easy to repair? :confused:

rover67
01-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks again for the sources. I'll visit the in town places to check them out. Zornff, you're right, I should have just called Kurt... he has saved me a few times now. I got excited and wanted everything here by friday and just ran down a path.

Chris, yeah that blue line is easy to fix, but my lines are not run in the most ideal places. Also, the snow being pushed around the axle pulls on them a lot so I am going to try the SS brake lines (the -3 lines I'm using and that the kits use are teflon with wire braid brake lines). One thing I've noticed about SS Brake lines and the -3 style fittings is that you can't let a caliper hang from them like you can with OEM style rubber crimped lines. they tend to fail at the fitting. Not good practice, but what I noticed. We'll see how they work on the axles, but I think for this particular application they'll be better. If they leak at the fittings maybe i'll do a nice rubber line with crimped joints.

Jacket
01-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Might this be an option for one of those tranny/Tcase oil return kits? I got one last month, but given the way my new exhaust is routed, the return hose will be too close to the exhaust and will melt in a matter of minutes. I wonder if I could put a SS line or jacket in place, or find a different/better hose that would be suitable for exhaust heat?

Sorry for the hijack, but the issues are kinda similar?

rover67
01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Might this be an option for one of those tranny/Tcase oil return kits? I got one last month, but given the way my new exhaust is routed, the return hose will be too close to the exhaust and will melt in a matter of minutes. I wonder if I could put a SS line or jacket in place, or find a different/better hose that would be suitable for exhaust heat?

Sorry for the hijack, but the issues are kinda similar?

you could definitly switch to a braided SS line. If it's that close it may still be affected though.

We used to use this stuff all over our race cars and it seemed to work pretty well: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/32013/10002/-1

They also have a house brand SS braided rubber line that would probab work with the push lok fittings that most likely came in that kit. Do both, the SS braided line and the thermal sleeve.

I just looked at the jegs site since that's where i got my stuff in the thread, it was here in two days with their standard shipping. Summit Racing is also an option as they have their own hose brand stuff, as are some of the local shops that were mentioned above (though I have not checked them yet)

Cheese
01-14-2010, 09:36 PM
The Parker Store had a lot of stuff to help with this sort of thing and with my assist steering.

I swear by the stainless lines, but the fittings are some times aggravating because of how the copper line has to move in them. Otherwise no worries.

Good luck.

Dr. Schlegs
10-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Time to bring this thread back to life.

I want to run SS braided lines for my ARB's. I have been looking on-line for the ARB kits and wondering if it would be more economical to buy the ss braided line in a bulk coil as I have 4 arb's to plumb. Any thoughts on this matter?

Uncle Ben
10-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Time to bring this thread back to life.

I want to run SS braided lines for my ARB's. I have been looking on-line for the ARB kits and wondering if it would be more economical to buy the ss braided line in a bulk coil as I have 4 arb's to plumb. Any thoughts on this matter?

Absofreakinglutely! The Parker store can also shave off a bunch of expense compared to pre made lines!

rover67
10-18-2011, 04:40 PM
BTW, I ended up getting these:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/ARB-Locker-Adapter-Kit-p-1059.html

Then the -3 hose and fittings I needed from Jegs.

Dr. Schlegs
10-18-2011, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Uncle Ben;194601]Absofreakinglutely! [QUOTE]

:lmao: I'll take that as a yes. My research suggests, I need a 3/8-24 inverted flare to a male -3 AN fitting on the ARB side.

Hint Hint Ricardo

Uncle Ben
10-18-2011, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=Uncle Ben;194601]Absofreakinglutely! [QUOTE]

:lmao: I'll take that as a yes. My research suggests, I need a 3/8-24 inverted flare to a male -3 AN fitting on the ARB side.

Hint Hint Ricardo

They are actually 3/8 - 24 UNF! I assume you know how AN lines are sized? -3an means it's 3/16", -4an is 4/16"=1/4"

Dr. Schlegs
10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=Dr. Schlegs;194607][QUOTE=Uncle Ben;194601]Absofreakinglutely!

I assume you know how AN lines are sized? -3an means it's 3/16", -4an is 4/16"=1/4"

I did figure that part out. Thanks for the help UB. I don't have any clients tomorrow, so I am going to run to Parker to get the supplies.

Dr. Schlegs
10-19-2011, 03:21 PM
So I ran to the Parker Store today.

They had 3 AN SS braided line with Teflon, not Rubber. They suggested I go to another place that would have the Rubber SS braided line. Arrived there and they only carry the Teflon as well for $8.00 a foot. They suggested I go up to a 4 AN with reusable crimps, to keep the price down. 4 AN at 12 feet assembled would run me $96.00. More expansive than the ARB kits, and the wrong size and not pressure fitted crimps.

Run back to Parker Store. 5 feet was 30.50 and 12 feet was $44 assembled with 3 AN and pressure fitted crimps. When got some 3AN to 3/8-24 adapters to finish it off. ARB wants $22 for a pair of adapters and I paid $6 for a pair.

Keeping money in my pocket is always good. I will post pics up later.