View Full Version : What trails

MDH33
01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
...are you planning to run?

I'm leaning towards:

1.Overnighter to the Swell
2.Kane Creek or Hells Revenge
3.Porcupine Rim or Metal Masher

I can't remember if the overnighter starts Wednesday or Thursday?

Hope to run some of the BFE trails in the afternoon too.

:beer:

FJBRADY
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Hells Revenge
Poison Spider Mesa
Cliff Hanger

daisydog34
01-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Leaning towards,

Guided BFE Trail
Behind the rocks
Pritchett

As well as some time in the BFE PLAYGROUND :D

And hopefully plenty of time for :beer::beer::beer:

Hulk
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Area BFE trails (Green Day, maybe Upper Helldarado)
Tip Toe Behind The Rocks
I'm hoping my wife will come out this year so I can take her on Elephant Hill on Saturday.

Bighead
01-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Hulk...what's Tip Toe Behind the Rocks like?

J Kimmel
01-06-2010, 01:21 PM
daisy picker
strawberry ridge
maybe an overnight to cotton candy falls

something along those lines

timmbuck2
01-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Metal Masher
Poison Spider
maybe e-hill? or do whatever trail Mr. Cheeseman needs me for. ;)

nakman
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
BFE
BFE
Wipeout Hill :)

corsair23
01-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Hells Revenge
Tip Toe...
Wipeout Hill :D

Edit: Updated

Caribou Sandstorm
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Elephant Hilll
Anything with a hill in it....Britney Spears/Green Day/the fire roads from BFE to the Lasalles and back..Minor threat in day light, up hill
Wipeout Hill
Sunday....Kokopelli backwards as fast as I can....."Dude your going to break your junk!....Ok let me drive.."

nakman
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey Chris, you got any room on the Sunday Kokopelli run? I may want to jump in that one.. would just be the boy & me, in the 80.. and he likes it bumpy ;)

Cheeseman
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
For all of you to know. This year I have changed things up a little bit. I am not offering all trails each day for choices. Some trails will be closed on particular days. This is based on history and leader availablility. Also we will not be running Steelbender this year. Instead adding Tip Toe Behind the Rocks. A moderate trail with hike that takes you up on top the the Arches overlooking Pritchett Canyon. And of course the BFE trails. I'll talk of this somewhat tonight at the RS Meeting.
________
Lenders mortgage insurance forum (http://www.insurance-forums.org/lenders-mortgage-insurance/)

Hulk
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Hulk...what's Tip Toe Behind the Rocks like?

Scenic, medium-difficulty with a couple of hikes.

Details for ALL the trails can be read here on the Cruise Moab web site (http://cruisemoab.com/trail-descriptions.asp).

bh4rnnr
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Not sure
Not sure
Wipeout Hill :D

Good to see some folks returning for Wipe Out Hill:cool:

Probably do the overnighter
Friday: don't know
Saturday: Wipe Out Hill

Cant forget the Pre-Cruise Moab wonderings!:cool::grinpimp::beer2:

Bighead
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Scenic, medium-difficulty with a couple of hikes.

Details for ALL the trails can be read here on the Cruise Moab web site (http://cruisemoab.com/trail-descriptions.asp).

Thanks...saw the ratings page but missed this one for some reason and my old Wells book doesn't mention it.

Rock Dog
01-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Been waiting for old "Tip Toe Behind the Rocks" to become available at CM... It will offer some hiking like E-hill and the overnight run.... good mid week mix.

Corbet
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
I edited this to reflect what I actually signed up for after seeing what was offered each day.

Overnighter - wed/thurs
Fins - fri
Tip Toe - sat

I'd really like to run Elephant Hill but I like my :puppykisses: way too much.

screw around in BFE in the afternoons?

Of if Cheeseman asks me to help lead/gun whatever he says

Convert
01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
BFE exploration non guided
Behind the Rocks
Wipe Out Hill

Kokopelli backwards sounds fun but time wise may not work have to wait and see

corsair23
01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
BFE exploration non guided
Behind the Rocks
Wipe Out Hill

In that order? I looked for Behind the Rocks on Friday but didn't see it as an option?

Edit: I was looking for Tip Toe Behind the Rocks :) - Surprised no one asked if I was really looking to sign up for Behind the Rocks :eek: :lmao:

Convert
01-15-2010, 07:05 PM
In that order? I looked for Behind the Rocks on Friday but didn't see it as an option?

Yes in that order

Romer
01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Golden Spike
Metal Masher
Fins - Unless Greg doesn't need me to lead Fins then I'll switch to someting else

Inukshuk
01-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Hells or Fins (been a while)
Markofsky Adventure Day ("Go MAD") - two or three others welcome - last year was dunes. This year, not sure yet.
Wipe Out Hill (how will we top years past??)
Sunday - Kokopelli home would be fun.... otherwise I'm sure Perry & I will put something together for the route home. Book cliffs last year were great. In earlier years it was LaSals and Yellowcake Flats.

farnhamstj
01-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Poison Spider,Finns, Moab Rim:eek:

psfpilot
01-23-2010, 10:56 AM
We're signed up for the:

- Swell overnight run
- Gold Bar Rim
- Elephant Hill

Will the Gold Bar Rim and Elephant Hill imperil the rocker panels of a stock locked 80 on 33" tires with an experienced driver at the wheel? After reading the trail description on the CM website, we felt safe selecting those, but as I read the Charles Wells guide to Moab trails this morning, I'm a touch concerned. Here are the passages that piqued my curiosity:

Gold Bar Rim - "Many difficult ledges, esp. at the top. For modified vehicles with very high ground clearance..." (p.86).

Elephant Hill - "Tall rock ledges require high ground clearance... Skid plates are recommended. Aggressive stock vehicles can do it..." (p.203).

Our experience with the Wells Colorado trail guide has shown that he is conservative in his recommendations, so I'm not too worried, but I figure it is better to ask now and request any necessary trail assignment change earlier rather than later.

Romer
01-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Markofsky Adventure Day ("Go MAD")

This is a scary thought :eek:

wesintl
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
We're signed up for the:

- Swell overnight run
- Gold Bar Rim
- Elephant Hill

Will the Gold Bar Rim and Elephant Hill imperil the rocker panels of a stock locked 80 on 33" tires with an experienced driver at the wheel? After reading the trail description on the CM website, we felt safe selecting those, but as I read the Charles Wells guide to Moab trails this morning, I'm a touch concerned. Here are the passages that piqued my curiosity:

Gold Bar Rim - "Many difficult ledges, esp. at the top. For modified vehicles with very high ground clearance..." (p.86).

Elephant Hill - "Tall rock ledges require high ground clearance... Skid plates are recommended. Aggressive stock vehicles can do it..." (p.203).

Our experience with the Wells Colorado trail guide has shown that he is conservative in his recommendations, so I'm not too worried, but I figure it is better to ask now and request any necessary trail assignment change earlier rather than later.

I did E-hill last year friday by myself with the family in our stock 80. I slightly bent the pass running board on one of the ledges. I can't remember which obstacle but it wasn't the hill or the silver stairs.

I would be concerned about the final ledges on gold bar though. They are really dug out iirc coming out of spike. I hven''t been on that trail lately though.

MDH33
01-23-2010, 02:22 PM
We're signed up for the:

- Swell overnight run
- Gold Bar Rim
- Elephant Hill

Probably get some damage without sliders on some of those ledges.

psfpilot
01-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I did E-hill last year friday by myself with the family in our stock 80. I slightly bent the pass running board on one of the ledges. I can't remember which obstacle but it wasn't the hill or the silver stairs.

I would be concerned about the final ledges on gold bar though. They are really dug out iirc coming out of spike. I hven''t been on that trail lately though.

Probably get some damage without sliders on some of those ledges.

I should have noted that we don't have running boards and our plan was to hike the last (worst) few ledges of gold bar to the scenic overlook. Does this plan sound mostly harmless, or should we see if it's not too late to swap for chicken corners on both days? :o

This will be our first CM, and as I am not familiar with the normal pacing of the conga line on a CM trail tour, I'd prefer that we not be "that guy" holding the tail-gunner up to an excessive degree while we gingerly pick our way over the sharper ledges, so any and all advice is appreciated.

farnhamstj
01-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Don't worry about being "that guy" the fact that you know that guy exists means it won't be you. I'd strongly suggest getting sliders. You won't do damage when your paying attention. It'll be the ledge you didn't see that does the damage. Be smarter than most of us and get the sliders before you hit a rocker. AMHIK. Changing trails will only postpone the inevitable crunch.

MDH33
01-23-2010, 09:34 PM
As Farnham said, getting some sliders will give you peace of mind or sure. Otherwise, just being cautious and taking the bypasses should be fine. The two vehicles I recall getting damage on Gold Bar were myself taking an optional ledge and losing my tail lights, and a stock 60 crunching a side in an avoidable section.

Corbet
01-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I have not run either gold bar or elephant but also wheel a stock 80 on 33's. I've run Hells Revenge, Wipe out Hill, Poison Spider, and Cane Creek. Some with the stock Michelin's. I would recommend sliders, but you probably can get by without them if your very careful. I opted for the MetalTech sliders as I wanted the cat protection. I find myself hitting that more than the slider itself. But I honestly don't go out of my way to avoid things now that I'm protected.:D Honestly I probably drag my receiver/spare/rear bumper corners more than I hit my sliders. So take that for what its worth.

Long story short sliders are cheaper than a trip to the body shop or a new set of OEM cats. Plus you'll have more fun if you know you can take a hit to the slider anyway. ;)

psfpilot
01-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Alright, I'll drive veeery carefully on Gold Bar and Elephant Hill and if I get some spare time I'll fab a set of sliders. Thank you for the advice. :thumb:

JadeRunner
01-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Golden Spike
Cliff Hanger
BFE Difficult

I forget in which order. I'm sure I will switch it around based on what Greg needs.

Air Randy
01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
We'll be ready to run trails Sunday through Wed too so anyone else who is showing up early should state when you arrive and what trails you are interested in running. That way we can put together some ad hoc groups in advance.

For the official runs we signed up for:
Thur-Elephant Hill (c'mon Cheeseman, go ahead and lead this one :D)
Fri-Behind the Rocks
Sat-Golden Spike

daisydog34
02-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Finally decided to go this year, had to decide which vehicle we were going to get ready to go. Going to have an easy year with the daily driver!

Tuesday and wednesday: Where ever the wind takes us
Thursday: Area BFE
Friday: Tip-toe or Porcupine
Saturday: Chicken Corners:confused:I dunno the :Princess: wants to wheel with her old man. Just because I say that its gonna break on the easiest trail!

Nay
02-04-2010, 12:41 AM
We'll be ready to run trails Sunday through Wed too so anyone else who is showing up early should state when you arrive and what trails you are interested in running. That way we can put together some ad hoc groups in advance.

Fri-Behind the Rocks
Sat-Golden Spike

'Ya got it backwards:

Thu - Spike
Fri - (Day off in Islands in the Sky w/family)
Sat - Elephant Hill

MDH33
02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Anyone received trail confirmations yet?

timmbuck2
02-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Fri-Behind the Rocks
Sat-Golden Spike

Good idea Randy, maybe for a new thread? I will be there Sat or Sunday if anyone wants to buy me a birthday beer. :) What runs I do depends on what I need to do for the CM Committee, but will definitely be running at least 1 trail every day Sat - Wed...

MDH33
03-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Have trail assignments been sent out yet?