PDA

View Full Version : Locker install if anyone is interested

Bruiser
01-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Ricardo and I are going to install an Aussie Locker in the rear of my FJ40 if anyone is interested in coming by and learning, advising or just hanging out. We will start around 10:00 at Ricardo's place near C470 and University. Shoot Ricardo or myself a PM if you are interested in coming down and need an address. I think you can also check the member directory.

TIMZTOY
01-09-2010, 02:05 AM
just post up a address.. because im down the street at work tommorw if ya need any tools

Air Randy
01-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Ricardo and I are going to install an Aussie Locker in the rear of my FJ40 if anyone is interested in coming by and learning, advising or just hanging out. We will start around 10:00 at Ricardo's place near C470 and University. Shoot Ricardo or myself a PM if you are interested in coming down and need an address. I think you can also check the member directory.

You guys are welcome to come down to my place and use the heated shop if you want.

RicardoJM
01-09-2010, 10:30 AM
You guys are welcome to come down to my place and use the heated shop if you want.

Thanks for the offer but the weather seems like it will be favorable tomorrow:thumb:. Besides, isn't there a bumper install going on in your garage on Sunday?:D

RicardoJM
01-09-2010, 10:42 AM

This is tomorrow, Sunday. The project should be around a couple of hours, depending upon how much jawing goes on and barring any road blocks.

If you are a newbee to wrenching, a session like this is great opportunity to get familiar with working on your truck. I'm not a wrenching expert, but it is by attending wrenching sessions that I have learned so much in the past couple of years. If you have an interest in learning about the rear pumpkin, spider gears, ring gear and axle c-clips, we'll be looking at all of these - oh yeah and installing an Aussie locker:thumb:.

rover67
01-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Can you guys give me the thrust washers you don't use if they look like they are still in good shape??

-Marco

RockRunner
01-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Ricardo,
If the weather does not pan out you can come over to my house too. I have been working on my truck for the last two weeks in our newly heated and insulated garage.

Randy you were my inspiration:rolleyes:

I will be bending some tube so I won't need to be in the garage. Give me a call if you want to use it. You can have the others come by too and I have nearly all the tools needed except for a big breaker bar and any specialty tool needed.

Air Randy
01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Ricardo,
If the weather does not pan out you can come over to my house too. I have been working on my truck for the last two weeks in our newly heated and insulated garage.

Randy you were my inspiration:rolleyes:

I will be bending some tube so I won't need to be in the garage. Give me a call if you want to use it. You can have the others come by too and I have nearly all the tools needed except for a big breaker bar and any specialty tool needed.

Since it's a lunchbox locker, no big bar is required. All you do is pop off the rear inspection cover, pull the spider gears & c clips, slide the axles out a couple of inches, install aussie locker in place of spider gears, axles, inspection cover and gear oil back in and you're done.

Bruiser
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Can you guys give me the thrust washers you don't use if they look like they are still in good shape??

-Marco

Marco, I will let you know what we have left.

Thanks for all the offers on the heated garages. I am kind of excited to leave the garage open tomorrow. I have gotten to do that lately.

Justin

bigbluefj
01-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I think the only hard part was to get the second C- clip inplace by other than easy job..

Kevin

RicardoJM
01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
How did it drive on the way home? It sure seemed to be quiet and not very noticeable when compared to the locker in my 40.

rover67
01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
how'd it turn out!!??

LARGEONE
01-10-2010, 07:27 PM
I installed one of these in my 40 and it was really easy. It clicks a little bit around turns...other than that, it is pretty quiet. They work great when off-roading...just be careful on icey/wet roads. Lay off the throttle until you get it going straight!!!

RicardoJM
01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
how'd it turn out!!??

I forgot the exact gap measurement, it was .15? - solidly within the middle of spec. As it turns out we had three sets of thrust washers to work with, each was about .15 difference in thickness. We tried the thickest and had trouble getting the c-clip to fit in the gap - but that could have been Justin was trying to slip it in between the teeth versus the big flat spot. So we went to the middle size thick washers. Justin took the thinnest set of thrust washers and will be getting them to you.

The locker runs very quiet in Justin's truck. I'm hoping that he will post up later tonight on how his drive home was. We took it around the neighborhood and out to get a slice of pizza - only heard it ratchet once and then just slightly.

I kept the thick thrust washers because the gap when I installed my locker was on the high end of spec. At that time, even though I had an extra set of thrust washers I was so pysched that I was in spec I didn't even think to compare with the spares. For that matter, I didn't even measure the thickness of my thrust washers:o. One of these days, I'm going to put in today's thickest thrust washers to see if they can bring my gap down.

Bruiser
01-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks to Ricardo and Steve for helping and hanging out. It was good to wrench in warmer weather and hang out with some good guys. The locker install was fairly painless but did take longer than we expected. Most of the extra time was spent scraping the old gasket off and getting the locker to stay in place. I really should have greased it up more to get it to stay in place while we assembled everything.

The locker is a lot quieter than I thought. When Steve and I first took it for a test drive, I was having a hard time even noticing it. However, on the second test run I did start to notice it a little more. However, it was not loud or jerky and I have yet to hear a pop. When I final got home and took the hairpin turn into my garage, I did finally get it to jump a little but it was not bad at all.

I am looking forward to the snow and pizza run to give it a real good test.

Justin

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S0qL0k9v6qI/AAAAAAAAAMk/IgSSxjXkS8c/IMG_4535_edit.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S0qKY59lnzI/AAAAAAAAAMU/Yr5gNvTu17o/IMG_4540_edit.JPG

jacdaw
01-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I installed one of these in my 40 and it was really easy. It clicks a little bit around turns...other than that, it is pretty quiet. They work great when off-roading...just be careful on icey/wet roads. Lay off the throttle until you get it going straight!!!This is my only fear with this kind of TAD. I've gotten very good at power-drifting the corners in my truck with the open rear end and empty bed.
(:Princess: goes :eek: every time).