PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your engine compartment clean?

Hulk
01-09-2010, 02:02 PM
My 80 series has a bunch of mud splash under the hood. I've heard that some people take their vehicle to the self-serve car wash and clean everything with the pressure wand.

Is that a good idea?
What about electrical?
Better to do with a cold or a hot engine?

I'd like to get this cleaner before I start on the supercharger install.

Romer
01-09-2010, 02:58 PM
I take it to the self serve car wash. I put a towel over the distributor cap and another around the MAF wires coming out of the aircleaner (Robbie told me to do that)

I have never had an issue.

Inukshuk
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM
How do you keep your engine compartment clean?

Take off your diaper and put it around the engine. :lmao:

But seriously, make sure its a cloth diaper 'cause plastic may melt. :lmao: :lmao:

Ok, no really, drive around puddles and not through them. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry, I don't mean to tease. To keep your engine clean, garage it all winter, only drive on dry days and and buy a J**p for your daily driver! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

When you pressure wash the 1FZFE before your bad-ass SC install avoid (Romer's idea to cover is good) the TPS sensor. On my 93 I almost always have to unplug the TPS and blow out water before the rig will run properly. And all my connections have dielectric grease in them. Other than that have never had a problem.

Red_Chili
01-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I use the high pressure wand. Maybe some degreaser if I have been negligent. I cover the air cleaner (open filter) and zap away. Never had an issue, but then, my motor is tight.

60wag
01-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Clean engine compartments look nice but I steer clear on the high pressure blast wherever wires are involved. Not just ignition wires but any wiring connectors. The rubber seals on them are fine to resist splash and an occassional dunk but hitting them with a pressure washer can drive moisture into the connector. The moisture doesn't evaporate because of the seals and the inside of the connector can corrode. You might not have an issue tomorrow or six months from now but after some years, you might find youself chasing down some odd electrical gremlins.

Note: this superstition developed from helping my dad try to solve electrical issues on his Mercury Sable - he was a regular engine washer.

And yes, dielectric grease helps

Bighead
01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I go to the self serve car wash and rinse with the wand but don't pull the trigger...low pressure. Spray Simple Green on the really nasty areas...let sit for 10 minutes or so and then low pressure rinse again.

Red_Chili
01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Note: this superstition developed from helping my dad try to solve electrical issues on his Mercury Sable - he was a regular engine washer.

And yes, dielectric grease helps
Agreed, I would never high pressure a Ford product... :lmao:

rover67
01-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I have used degreaser and the high pressure wand at the car wash lots of times on various vehicles to get them clean enough to work on. Sometimes it caused a problem, most of the time it hasn't. Nice thing is that when it dosen't run afterwards yo uknow it's water that got somewhere :) I just try to stay away from connections, harnesses and taped stuff (it'll trash a harness if you're not careful), coils/distributers, air filter, and random holes that soak the interior.

rover67
01-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I go to the self serve car wash and rinse with the wand but don't pull the trigger...low pressure. Spray Simple Green on the really nasty areas...let sit for 10 minutes or so and then low pressure rinse again.

Simple Green is pretty awesome.. I agree. It cuts that dirt film on stuff pretty well.

what also works is the tire cleaner that the thing spits out.

LARGEONE
01-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I made the mistake of doing this once with the engine (ie fan) running and really messed stuff up! As mentioned, just cover the air intake and distributor wiring.

DaveInDenver
01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Only one way to do it right...

Uncle Ben
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
I made the mistake of doing this once with the engine (ie fan) running and really messed stuff up! As mentioned, just cover the air intake and distributor wiring.

If you cant get your engine wet without covering stuff you either are using non Toyota parts or you have issues!

My engine compartment is relatively spotless and I blast it off at the car wash everytime I use the carwash on the outside. The underbelly is clean also!

LARGEONE
01-12-2010, 08:20 PM
You're right, Uncle Ben....this is actually how I discovered that I needed a new intake hose (b/w the air cleaner and engine). It had a small crack in it and sucked the water in. So, I guess cleaning the engine can also point out issues before they become REAL issues!!!

Hulk
01-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Only one way to do it right...

Duuuuude!

I will never be that meticulous for something that's just going to get dirty again the next time I blast through a mud puddle!

DaveInDenver
01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
If you cant get your engine wet without covering stuff you either are using non Toyota parts or you have issues!
To be fair, the stock stuff is relatively waterproof but it's not sealed against a high pressure wand. The stock systems in good shape should handle washing down by a garden hose for sure, but not necessarily a direct 500 psi blast at the car wash.

Red_Chili
01-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Meh. I have no issues with the high pressure wand, ever.

Oh... and I too enjoy getting the engine compartment that clean, despite the fact it will get dirty again. After all... I take a shower daily, even though sho 'nuff I will just have to do it again tomorrow... :lmao: :lmao:

rover67
01-13-2010, 08:58 AM

My engine compartment is relatively spotless and I blast it off at the car wash everytime I use the carwash on the outside. The underbelly is clean also!

FWIW I also blast mine off almost every time at the car wash.. and its a Chevy!!! yikes!

Uncle Ben
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
To be fair, the stock stuff is relatively waterproof but it's not sealed against a high pressure wand. The stock systems in good shape should handle washing down by a garden hose for sure, but not necessarily a direct 500 psi blast at the car wash.

So sorry for your loss! :rolleyes: