PDA

View Full Version : die cut sticker help

farnhamstj
01-09-2010, 11:39 PM
I've thought about trying to organize a die cut sticker for CM for the last couple years. I'm not sure who to contact or what to expect to pay? My idea is to do a 7" wide sticker in the shape of a fj40 bezel. upside down with "Toyota" upside down in the stamped location and 146.460 in the center. People could put them bezel right and the "146.460" would be upside down or the other way around. Is there any interest? could someone give me some direction? If you think it's lame and I'd be the only one with a sticker fair enough, call me stupid. I'm open to other suggestions too.

I really liked the CM tatoos Mike did a couple years ago too. Can those be done again?

Air Randy
01-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Send a PM to ISOTEL on our forum, he does decals, any kind you want.

Corbet
01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I think its a cleaver idea. And I'd pay for one. Be a cool way to know who have HAM's in there truck. And with it being die cut if someone didn't want the frequency they could just not put that part on. :thumb:

gahi
01-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I can totally help out with these. I have a sign shop here in Moab!

Something like this?

gahi
01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Or this....

farnhamstj
01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
this is kind of what I'm thinking but I lack any photoshop skills. this is what i could do with paint. Can someone make the 146.460 bigger and the toyota letters cutout of the black?

farnhamstj
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm getting closer.

Corbet
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
top of the bezel needs to be thicker

farnhamstj
01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Anyone have a picture of a bezel with toyota stamped in it? I agree top thicker bottom thinner. I like the Bezel police spoof and the "if you can read this, turn my jeep over" bumpersticker. Along with the Ham geekness. Those were my inspirations. I'd like to do a few different colors and hand them out at CM.

farnhamstj
01-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I've got to change toyota to Land Cruiser.

corsair23
01-11-2010, 01:19 AM
:cool: idea Farnham :thumb:

I know it wouldn't show up good here on the forum but I wonder if these could be done with a white background? Black doesn't show up so well on my black truck w/ tinted windows but white does :)

What about using Rising Sun instead of Land Cruiser or Toyota? I'm just thinking we need new RS stickers for members and maybe this approach might be something members would be interested in vs. a redo of the type we have now? Or members could choose between the old style that we have now and these when they join/renew.

jacdaw
01-11-2010, 02:06 AM
If you get a black one and a white one, you can lay them on your glass, or :gasp: sheet metal, offset so one shadows the other. In your case I'd put thre black on top of the white.:cool: idea Farnham :thumb:

I know it wouldn't show up good here on the forum but I wonder if these could be done with a white background? Black doesn't show up so well on my black truck w/ tinted windows but white does :)

What about using Rising Sun instead of Land Cruiser or Toyota? I'm just thinking we need new RS stickers for members and maybe this approach might be something members would be interested in vs. a redo of the type we have now? Or members could choose between the old style that we have now and these when they join/renew.

gahi
01-11-2010, 06:40 AM
I suggest white, or some bright color, it shows up alot better even on non-tinted glass. Black works better to do the layouts. I can work on more designs this evening.

Corbet
01-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I like white for this decal idea. Bezels are supposed to be white. But this is just my .02 as this is Farnham's parade :)

corsair23
01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
So....

Were any other members interested in having some stickers made up to replace/supplement what we use today as club stickers? Or am I alone in my thought that this would be :cool:?

Wouldn't be the first time :hill:

If there is enough interest then we could bring it up at the Feb meeting, get pricing, and vote on it.

Hulk
01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
So....

Were any other members interested in having some stickers made up to replace/supplement what we use today as club stickers? Or am I alone in my thought that this would be :cool:?

Wouldn't be the first time :hill:

If there is enough interest then we could bring it up at the Feb meeting, get pricing, and vote on it.

Timing might be really good on this. I was going to switch vendors for this year's CM sticker. The RS stickers that we currently provide to members are 4-color process printed on Teslin (http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Silicas/Teslin/about/) with a UV coating. The problem is that they still fade.

My plan was to use a vendor that screen prints the stickers with UV resistant ink, such as Sticker Robot (http://stickerrobot.com/).

If you want to do a one-color vinyl sticker, like the 40 bezel, that can be done by a vinyl cutting shop like from gahi or isotel.

corsair23
01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Let's see what the interest is and then if it seems popular we could get some pricing to see if it is even a viable option to offer instead of or in addition to the upgraded stickers you mention above.

jacdaw
01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd buy two or three* in any color.

* bezel decals, not name tags

gahi
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
updated version, thicker upper bezel, toyota reversed out, frequency bigger.

Hulk
01-12-2010, 01:30 AM
updated version, thicker upper bezel, toyota reversed out, frequency bigger.

Gary, are you doing this in Adobe Illustrator? If so, send the file to me -- I would like to mess around with it a bit.

gahi
01-12-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm using a sign making specific program called Flexi. I'll send .ai and .eps files.

corsair23
01-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Gary,

Could you give me an idea on pricing on doing something like this? PM me the info if you could. We might be interested in having some of these made up for club stickers :) Production run would be pretty limited, couple hundred maybe depending on price.

Hulk
01-13-2010, 02:35 AM
OK, I set up the vinyl sticker bezel to look more authentic. Here are some samples.

SAMPLES 1 AND 2
The very first sample below is almost an exact replica of the classic bezel, with the 146.460 in the middle. I also tried it with RISING SUN in the middle rather than the frequency.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/stickers/Landcruiser-Bezel-01.gif

The above stickers would be black vinyl on a white vehicle. What would the stickers look like in white vinyl on a black car? I'm glad you asked:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/stickers/Landcruiser-Bezel-01-inverse.gif

SAMPLES 3 AND 4
Next up, I tried changing the words at the top of the bezel while maintaining the look of the authentic type face. Take a look.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/stickers/Landcruiser-Bezel-02.gif

And the inverse:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/stickers/Landcruiser-Bezel-02-inverse.gif

SAMPLES 5 AND 6
I wanted to see what it looked like with RISING SUN 4X4 CLUB spelled out. And then I turned the bezel upside down. :rolleyes:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/stickers/Landcruiser-Bezel-03.gif

And here's what it would look like in white vinyl:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/stickers/Landcruiser-Bezel-03-inverse.gif

SAMPLE 7
Perhaps you've said to yourself, "Self, what improves everything? Why, the TEQ logo, naturally."

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/stickers/Landcruiser-Bezel-04-inverse.gif

Hulk
01-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Bump. No comments on the stickers?

MDH33
01-13-2010, 11:14 AM
If these were made and given out to club members for free, I would take one. I like sample 6.

corsair23
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Those look great...Still digesting all of the variations though :)

Hulk
01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
It should be noted: you don't have to choose the color, just the design. The stickers can be cut on a variety of colored vinyl -- white and black for sure.

corsair23
01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm leaning toward sample #5 but maybe with the TEQ added?

Convert
01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Sample 5 or 6 TEQ might be nice

Corbet
01-13-2010, 07:15 PM
I like example number 3 but up-side-down. Which is easy with die cut just cut out the center and stick on the truck accordingly.

The up-side-down think is just a good inside LC owner joke IMO.

TEQ could be added inside a headlight circle? Again use it if you like or not. Stick it somewhere else. Basically only two designs would really need to be made. One with Rising Sun the other with Land Cruiser. From there you could apply it to your surface any way you wanted.

TIMZTOY
01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
why not have your club name on the top then the 146.460 in the grill then
rising sun 4x4 on the bottom.. that way people knew who everyone was.. and would also take care of the other problem that was brought up under the "name tag" thread\

i do like number 5 the best..

rover67
01-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow, I just saw this.. Impressive work Matt!!

I like sample 7 a lot, but agree with Corbet that if the teq logo were in there it could be omitted by the user or used somewhere else.

I think the Bezel says it's both Toyota and Land Cruiser with just the image... so the space for words can be used for Rising sun and 146.460

Hants
01-14-2010, 12:11 PM
The bezel speaks for itself -- no need for Toyota or Land Cruiser.

I like Rising Sun 4x4 Club and 146.460.

Those are AWESOME, Matt!

Gmann
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
If I can make a suggestion, I recommend the sticker not say land cruiser but rather Toyota. my thoughts are we would get way more sales if you do sell them from those like me who don't have cruisers. I do like the bezel idea though. I like the upside down numbers. It's different and unique.

Hulk
01-15-2010, 05:22 PM
If I can make a suggestion, I recommend the sticker not say land cruiser but rather Toyota. my thoughts are we would get way more sales if you do sell them from those like me who don't have cruisers. I do like the bezel idea though. I like the upside down numbers. It's different and unique.

Agreed. I think it will probably say either RISING SUN or RISING SUN 4X4 CLUB.

I did the LAND CRUISER version to replicate the original bezel (from the 1960's) so I would have the correct font.

Shark Bait
01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Don't suppose we could add the TLCA logo in the other headlight hole?

Hulk
01-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Don't suppose we could add the TLCA logo in the other headlight hole?

Way too complicated a logo to die cut at that size. But we could put the letters TLCA in there, probably. I bet it won't look great, but I'm willing to give it a try.

MountainMan
01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
good stuff, i would buy

what is TEQ?

corsair23
01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
good stuff, i would buy

what is TEQ?

In short, Toyota

Long version...you can start HERE (http://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/97523-dumb-question-what-toyota-teq-symbol.html) :D

farnhamstj
02-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Hulk, I really like #3 but witht TEC logo. Sorry It's slipped off my radar for a while. Do you have a source that can print them?

Hulk
02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Farnham, do you want it to say Rising Sun or Toyota in the top part of the bezel? I thought Rising Sun was far better, since it's a club sticker. Did you still want it upside down?

To get them printed, why not check with Gahi who posted in this thread?

Caribou Sandstorm
02-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Just saw all this, looks cool, I like #5.

I also like Tim's idea of adding your fourm name..

sounds like you guys have it all worked out, so this is not meant to derail current porgress.

farnhamstj
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry for the delay, dropped off the radar for a little while. I really like Hulk's #3. It is not really my intent to replace the current club sticker, but to create something fun. Similar in spirit to the CM09 tattoo's and the splat people die cut stickers from Moab. I'm thinking about 6" wide and whatever height that make it proportional. Mostly white and bright neonish colors. I can turn my own bezel upside down, as I'm not sure everyone gets the joke.

Gahi, please Pm me a price. Can you pull the design off the website or do you need a file of the graphic? I think I'm after 75 stickers? Anyone think I should make any more than that? I would pay for them out of pocket and give them away or sell them based on my cost.

RockRunner
03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
I just saw this tread for the first time. I like the rising sun verison with the 146 and either 5 or 7 TEQ is OK but I can do without. Any worries about infringement with the TEQ? I would buy some or if free even better.

TIMZTOY
03-31-2010, 10:44 PM
how about this for us that arnt die hard 40 enthuisest ?:thumb: they also have one for the newer body style 96+

farnhamstj
03-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Don't you own a 40? What is that a Camery? If you want to put up the money, sure otherwise, No.

TIMZTOY
03-31-2010, 11:08 PM
no need to get up tight, it was just a suggestion..

I'm open to other suggestions too.

your first post

SRT08BUS
04-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Just saw all this, looks cool, I also like Tim's idea of adding your fourm name..sounds like you guys have it all worked out, so this is not meant to derail current porgress.

Agreed :thumb:

Hulk
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I really like Hulk's #3. It is not really my intent to replace the current club sticker, but to create something fun.

#3 says TOYOTA in the bezel. This is your project, but personally I would prefer it to say RISING SUN or RISING SUN 4X4 CLUB. The bezel shape itself already implies Toyota, and it will be stuck on Toyota vehicles. Otherwise, no one will know who uses the 146.460 frequency.

I'd go with either #4 or #5.

Gahi, can we mix and match designs?

I'm thinking about 6" wide and whatever height that make it proportional. Mostly white and bright neonish colors.

We might want to go with a smaller size too. Maybe a 4" size too?

I can turn my own bezel upside down, as I'm not sure everyone gets the joke.

You're correct, and it would be easy to do. You could do that with ANY of the designs. In fact, if we put the TEQ in the headlight lens area, it would be easy to keep or delete too. Vinyl cut stickers offer a lot of flexibility -- you just trim off the part you don't want.

Gahi, please Pm me a price. Can you pull the design off the website or do you need a file of the graphic? I think I'm after 75 stickers? Anyone think I should make any more than that? I would pay for them out of pocket and give them away or sell them based on my cost.

I will provide an .ai or .eps vector file to Gahi so that it won't be any additional work on his end.

What is that a Camry?

:lmao: Gawd, I was wondering what that was!

gahi
04-01-2010, 05:03 PM
ya, they can go anyway design wise. One thing to keep in mind, there are limits to how small vinyl lettering can get, say a 4" wide overall, that becomes maybe 1.5 high. The concern is the thickness or stroke of the lettering, if it gets to skinny it becomes really hard to deal with and may not stick for very long. But once we get a design figured out, I can get a better idea of if its a concern or not.

farnhamstj
04-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Those are my concerns also about a 4" sticker and that much lettering. Tim didn't mean to jump down your throat. I was joking about the Camery.

Hulk
04-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Those are my concerns also about a 4" sticker and that much lettering. Tim didn't mean to jump down your throat. I was joking about the Camry.

Sounds good on the size. What do you think about my comment on the lettering in the bezel? Toyota? Rising Sun? Rising Sun 4x4 Club?

Let me know and I will email the final art to Gahi. Heck, I can probably just email him both of these now.

farnhamstj
04-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I like Toyota. Appeals to non Club members. die-cuts also fall apart/ loose their sticky if too detailed. I think 146.460 says" Rising Sun club" in a subtle way. If you recall a few years ago Wasatch Cruisers did some shirts that had a Birfield inners on the front. I now associate the design with Wasatch. Again is it not my intention to replace the club sticker. Thanks for the help.

Corbet
04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I still think it should say Land Cruiser but we don't need another TLCA debate:bolt: But agree with Farnham if he wants to give them out at CM10 then Toyota would be better than RS. A non RS member would rather get a Toyota decal.

TIMZTOY
04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
its ok farnhamstj, i wasnt trying to start anything.. just trowing ideas out. because i like that decal.. id still pay to have that decal cut..

and i like HULK's grill with the toyota, 146.460 and teq, with the 146.460 cut normally.. because it apeals to all members that own toyota's not just land cruisers.. and you can flip over the grill to have the inside grill joke. and put the 146.460 in normally. and if you dont want the teq you can just remove it or move it somewere else.. so in one sticker you actually get like 3-5 diffrent options for laying it out on your rig...

farnhamstj
04-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I will be giving them out to anyone with a HAM radio at CM. and anyone else that wants one until I run out. at least thats my plan for now.

TIMZTOY
04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
well id love to have one. :thumb:

Hulk
04-02-2010, 02:01 AM
I sent the file to Gahi (Gary). Here is what is included. Mix and match as you see fit, Farnham. :cool:

MDH33
04-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Black won't show up on windows. Are you getting them made in white as well?

gahi
04-02-2010, 08:07 AM
the black is just to show the design better.

SRT08BUS
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd take one and wouldn't mind kicking down a couple bucks.

Rogue Leader
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd take one. Ill pay for the shipping up here.