PDA

View Full Version : Question - CB

ttubb
01-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Is there a hand-held CB available that is worth having? Thanks, T

jacdaw
01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
The one I could find locally was about $100. I guess it depends on how much that cab space is worth to you when you can spend $40 for a small chassis under-dash cb that works just as well. Many folks use the handhelds successfully with a good mag mount ant.

ttubb
01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
The one I could find locally was about $100. I guess it depends on how much that cab space is worth to you when you can spend $40 for a small chassis under-dash cb that works just as well. Many folks use the handhelds successfully with a good mag mount ant.

Thanks, John. Do you know who makes it and if it is available on-line?

FJBRADY
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Terry I have a handheld CB for the FJC with an external mag mount. It's average at best. When I have used it the coverage is 3 rigs ahead of me and 3 rigs behind me. You miss out on a lot of chatter.

HAM is the way to go and no you don't have to do the tighty whiteys.

jacdaw
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I think it was a cobra, but here's a Midland (http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-75-822-Channel-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR/ref=pd_cp_e_1)on sale for $71. There are two types of handheld CBs, walkie-talkies and then like this Midland.

corsair23
01-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Everything I've heard about handheld CBs mirrors Steve's real world experience...crapola :(

jacdaw
01-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Terry I have a handheld CB for the FJC with an external mag mount. It's average at best. When I have used it the coverage is 3 rigs ahead of me and 3 rigs behind me. You miss out on a lot of chatter.

HAM is the way to go and no you don't have to do the tighty whiteys.I agree (do not resist the dark side, young Padawan) but CM requires a CB for Tech Inspection. It's better to have a CB than not. I never use mine but have one anyway.:(

FJBRADY
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
CM requires a CB for Tech Inspection. (

That's the only reason I bought it last year :hill:

jacdaw
01-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Everything I've heard about handheld CBs mirrors Steve's real world experience...crapola :(FWIW, I balked at the price and bought an on-sale, discontinued small chassis radio from ChickenShack for way low money. I hated that one too, so I bought a 10 meter ham rig that was altered to hear 11 meters (CB) so I have another tighty whitey rig under my dash, but can keep up with the CB chatter. Mind you, if I TX'd on 11 meters, you would hear me even if I could not hear you, and it's illegal for that very reason: way more power than a 4 watt CB.
:yagi:

ttubb
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM

HAM is the way to go and no you don't have to do the tighty whiteys.

I have always used a mounted mobil, both 2m and CB in the 40 and the 80. I am working on the 4Runner and I have my wifes FJC that may see some limited use. I just bought a hand-held 2m and was looking for a CB for portability. I realize they have major limitations. I would not have them for frequent use, just in a pinch. Thanks for the info. T

ttubb
01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
I think it was a cobra, but here's a Midland (http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-75-822-Channel-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR/ref=pd_cp_e_1)on sale for $71. There are two types of handheld CBs, walkie-talkies and then like this Midland.

Thanks for the link, John. T

jacdaw
01-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the link, John. TDo you want to try the CB I didn't like? Free? Just so you don't have to buy something right away?

I have a class Thursday at 6PM in Lone Tree. Will get there early to find dinner.
(( 9233 Park Meadows Dr., Lone Tree, CO 80124 ))

DOH!! Yer in CB! Um, yeah, I'd love to come out for a visit.

ttubb
01-12-2010, 05:29 AM
Do you want to try the CB I didn't like? Free? Just so you don't have to buy something right away?

I have a class Thursday at 6PM in Lone Tree. Will get there early to find dinner.
(( 9233 Park Meadows Dr., Lone Tree, CO 80124 ))

DOH!! Yer in CB! Um, yeah, I'd love to come out for a visit.

Actually John, I am in Tucson now, but thanks very much for the offer. Terry :thumb: