PDA

View Full Version : source for stainless steel metric cap/machine screws

Old40Dog
01-14-2010, 09:48 PM
You guys all had such great info the other day on electrical connectors, I thought I'd throw this question out there too.

In doing resto work on my 40's and in helping Zach with his 55, we have had many instances where we would like to replace fasteners with stainless steel for future servicability and the local Home Depot only has a limited selection/supply.

Usually looking for metric flat/socket head, phillips oval head , flat phillips head machine screws and of course hex head cap screws.

Local Denver source would nice for this and that. But if we needed to order some bulk cartons and stock up on some of the more popular sizes, it would probably be worth it.

Thanks!
:dunno:

AxleIke
01-14-2010, 10:02 PM
I go to fastenal. They usually have a pretty good selection.

corsair23
01-14-2010, 10:12 PM
At one time Shane (AATLAS1X) on MUD was selling bulk hardware for a decent price...Nice for guys like me that didn't have a clue what sizes are needed :hill: - If you have no luck finding stuff locally you might try looking him up...He use to sell the stuff on ebay as well

nakman
01-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I just bought some bolts off ebay... we'll see what the quality is. But you can get everything on there these days, here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAINLESS-METRIC-6mm-BUTTON-ALLEN-BOLTS-125pc_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem10e02df50QQitemZ4530036560QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Have you tried Lowes? they usually have a little more in that aisle than the Depot. hth..

wesintl
01-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I go to AAA metric for all my metric nut and bolt needs. I usually don't go with stainless. I usually get some kind of zinc plating. MEH to stainless steel.

http://www.aaametric.com/index.php?pr=Fastners

Bruiser
01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Lowes has a decent selection, fastenal is definitely good. I bought a whole bag of various sizes there one time and really stocked up. I also like Ace, they always seem to have what I need. Home Depot does not have the best selection.

DaveInDenver
01-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Second AAA, they have everything metric and not just fasteners. Odd ball taps, whatever.

MDH33
01-15-2010, 08:40 AM
x3 for AAA Metric :thumb:

RockRunner
01-15-2010, 09:30 AM
X4 AAA they have it all plus

Jacket
01-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I go to AAA metric for all my metric nut and bolt needs. I usually don't go with stainless. I usually get some kind of zinc plating. MEH to stainless steel.

http://www.aaametric.com/index.php?pr=Fastners

x2. I bought a huge inventory of all the common types of bolts, nuts, screws, etc. They don't have yellow zinc, but otherwise they've got a great selection.

Edit: oops - looks like I should be x5 or something.....

subzali
01-15-2010, 09:54 AM
x3 or 6 on what Wes said. IH8 stainless steel fasteners. They have metric gauges and other small machining tools as well...

Rzeppa
01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
X2 on Fastenal. I used to use AAA when I was at a former employer and they were OK, but Fastenal had better selection and quicker delivery. I buy 100 lots of metric fasteners from both sources.

Gmann
02-17-2010, 07:20 PM
A little late to the conversation, but I sell fasteners for Barnes Distribution. Keep in mind for next time. We ship typically from Texas and take three days. Every fastener mentioned here I can supply. Just shoot me a PM.

nuclearlemon
02-17-2010, 08:51 PM
A little late to the conversation, but I sell fasteners for Barnes Distribution. Keep in mind for next time. We ship typically from Texas and take three days. Every fastener mentioned here I can supply. Just shoot me a PM.

is it a decent quality?

i won't shop fastenal because they opened a shop here in c-town and hired idiots to run it. i've tried online and have gotten semi-quality stuff. i'm more for decent bucks for large quantities than super cheap for small quantities. with four cruisers, i use what i have.

only thing i don't like about aftermarket ss, is the lack of either captured washers on bolts/flange head style bolts. seems those setups are rare in the aftermarket ss field. i've been robbing all kinds of "still plated" bolts from junk rigs.

btw, gmann....barnes sells a bunch of stuff...do i know you from the big rig world (if i know you, sorry , but the forum name isn't familiar and i suck with names/faces)?

Gmann
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
is it a decent quality?

i won't shop fastenal because they opened a shop here in c-town and hired idiots to run it. i've tried online and have gotten semi-quality stuff. i'm more for decent bucks for large quantities than super cheap for small quantities. with four cruisers, i use what i have.

only thing i don't like about aftermarket ss, is the lack of either captured washers on bolts/flange head style bolts. seems those setups are rare in the aftermarket ss field. i've been robbing all kinds of "still plated" bolts from junk rigs.

btw, gmann....barnes sells a bunch of stuff...do i know you from the big rig world (if i know you, sorry , but the forum name isn't familiar and i suck with names/faces)?

Fastenal lives by the 20/20 rule. Hire them at 20yrs old and hope they stay 20 months. Our Quality is good. SS 316,304(18-8). We can track all items from the package they come in. Don't expect them to hold as well as Grade 5, SS strength is slightly less. That goes for anyone. We have SS standard and metric hex head cap screws, machine screws (multiple head styles) roll pins, washers, nuts etc...

I used to live in vail but now in englewood. You parked next to me at Charlottes Web restaraunt few days b4 the snow run ( think it was you). I only know you from rising sun. Send me a PM if you have other questions. :cheers:

Yes, we do carry lots of other stuff too (you name it we can probably get it)www.barnesdistribution.com

wesintl
02-17-2010, 09:18 PM
do you guys have JIS Brent?

Gmann
02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=wesintl;138218]do you guys have JIS Brent?[/QUOTE

I lied, so I edited again. We do have JIS plated and some stainless.

nuclearlemon
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Fastenal lives by the 20/20 rule. Hire them at 20yrs old and hope they stay 20 months. Our Quality is good. SS 316,304(18-8). We can track all items from the package they come in. Don't expect them to hold as well as Grade 5, SS strength is slightly less. That goes for anyone. We have SS standard and metric hex head cap screws, machine screws (multiple head styles) roll pins, washers, nuts etc...

I used to live in vail but now in englewood. You parked next to me at Charlottes Web restaraunt few days b4 the snow run ( think it was you). I only know you from rising sun. Send me a PM if you have other questions. :cheers:

Yes, we do carry lots of other stuff too (you name it we can probably get it)www.barnesdistribution.com

that was probably me...i did meet up with my old boss and some coworkers for lunch...i was driving my beat 80 that day.

strength isn't my issue...it's the resiliance to rust. i bought some online and pulled them out a year or so later and they showed rust. can't say that they were rusting, but it looked like it was possible that they would rust. i realize that ss isn't as strong grade wise as steel, but i don't expect to use it for things like suspension...i just don't want my fender bolts to rust to the body;)

Gmann
02-17-2010, 10:47 PM
that was probably me...i did meet up with my old boss and some coworkers for lunch...i was driving my beat 80 that day.

strength isn't my issue...it's the resiliance to rust. i bought some online and pulled them out a year or so later and they showed rust. can't say that they were rusting, but it looked like it was possible that they would rust. i realize that ss isn't as strong grade wise as steel, but i don't expect to use it for things like suspension...i just don't want my fender bolts to rust to the body;)

All SS will rust eventually. The amount of time depends on the environment their subjected to. With all the junk on our roads, Colorado is a harsh environment. My rear license plate and arb bumper's flat underplate are attached with SS HHCS. I replace them every 2-3yrs. Dont expect SS to be a fix and forget solution to rust.

L43dean
02-18-2010, 04:00 PM
AAA METRIC also sells some nice German made hand tools. Friendly too!

Rezarf
02-20-2010, 10:29 AM
I use McMaster.com

Great bolts, great prices.