PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Rocks

Romer
01-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I picked Metal Masher for Friday. I have run it before and it's fun. By the trail decription, I thought Behind the Rocks was more hard core, but since I found some posts to imply it's not and you can bypass the obstacles that WILL cause damage. Rachel and I hadn't run it before. Been searching for a while and I know that you bypass white knucle hill.

Going to run Spike on Thursday

This would be with my 80 and Rachel's 4runner on 33's

Comments?

Hulk
01-16-2010, 12:39 PM
You can bypass High Dive and Upchuck. You cannot bypass White Knuckle Hill. It is a very steep series of ledges finishing with a final ledge with a significant straight drop down. An FJ40 will get a strap around the back bumper with 10 guys holding on to keep the back end from going over. Longer wheel base vehicles won't have the same problem, but it is still terror-inducing the first time you run it. I have some pictures -- I will seek them out.

It's a really fun trail, but don't be fooled into thinking it's easy. It's a difficult trail.

Hulk
01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Just went to look at the trail ratings on www.cruisemoab.com. I think it is a 7+ compared to Moab Rim and Golden Spike.

Romer
01-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks Matt

waggoner5
01-16-2010, 06:48 PM
When I lead behind the rocks I take everyone down to White Knuckle and some run it and some dont. We normally turn around there and head back anyway. There is no bypass, but we go as a group and watch. Other than that obstacle, you will really like the trail. The very first climb is a little un-nerving, but the long wheelbase trucks normally drive it without issue. The 40s can get a little exciting.

Rock Dog
01-17-2010, 12:47 AM
It is actually the very first hill on Behind the Rocks, just off the road a bit that is getting torn up on that trail... starting to REALLY lean hard to the left going up. and pitches the vehicle at some uncomfortable angles... the rest of the trail is a kick....

I picked Metal Masher for Friday. I have run it before and it's fun. By the trail decription, I thought Behind the Rocks was more hard core, but since I found some posts to imply it's not and you can bypass the obstacles that WILL cause damage. Rachel and I hadn't run it before. Been searching for a while and I know that you bypass white knucle hill.

Going to run Spike on Thursday

This would be with my 80 and Rachel's 4runner on 33's

Comments?

Bighead
01-17-2010, 06:46 AM
After that first hill I was wondering what I got myself into..."if that's the first obstacle, what's the rest like?" I thought the rest was pretty fun with the exception of the pucker factor White Knuckle Hill forced me to experience.

Working my way down White Knuckle...

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p319/Bighead2001/DSC_1109.jpg

J Kimmel
01-17-2010, 06:38 PM
going down WKH isn't too bad...I still don't like it though. The nice thing though is there are plenty of folks to hold a strap on the back for you, and really I was shocked at just how smoothly all of the 80's descended it.

fun trail though...lots for everyone :)

Air Randy
01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
I didn't have any issues going down the Short wheel base side of white knuckle and didn't need a strap. It was when I tried to go back UP on the long wheel base side of the hill and didn't make it that things started to get a little exciting. :D

wesintl
01-17-2010, 08:39 PM
^^^wasn't that on wipe out hill? Me thinks you need to go on BTR :D

RockRunner
01-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Wrong hill Randy..................sorry. But if you do go on BTR you an try it.

AxleIke
01-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Only issue I see ken with white knuckle besides the pucker factor is the underbelly of Rachels truck. I forgot if she has skids or not. If so, then I think her truck would be fine on it. If not, you run the risk of serious damage to the transfercase.

Hulk
01-17-2010, 10:24 PM
I didn't have any issues going down the Short wheel base side of white knuckle and didn't need a strap. It was when I tried to go back UP on the long wheel base side of the hill and didn't make it that things started to get a little exciting.

White Knuckle is significantly more scary than Wipeout Hill. You'll want a strap.

Bighead
01-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Only issue I see ken with white knuckle besides the pucker factor is the underbelly of Rachels truck. I forgot if she has skids or not. If so, then I think her truck would be fine on it. If not, you run the risk of serious damage to the transfercase.

Good point. I don't have a t-case/belly skid yet and took a couple of shots in the vicinity of the t-case that had me concerned. I have got to figure out how to get one on there. My poor little stock t-case "skidplate" looks like it has been chewed up by a dog.

I agree with Isaac that with all the other experience around there that she should be fine.

Rock Dog
01-19-2010, 01:14 AM
[QUOTE=Bighead;133520]After that first hill I was wondering what I got myself into..."if that's the first obstacle, what's the rest like?" I thought the rest was pretty fun with the exception of the pucker factor White Knuckle Hill forced me to experience.

/QUOTE]

I don't want to down play upchuck either... the First obsticle, Upchuck, and White Knuckle are the ones that get my attention, but for anyone that has never run the trail, it is definitely worth it... and you get to have lunch at prostitution arch!!!

DaveInDenver
01-19-2010, 06:54 AM
prostitution arch!!!
If memory serves that is called Picture Frame Arch up in Prostitute Butte.

Red_Chili
01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
It is actually the very first hill on Behind the Rocks, just off the road a bit that is getting torn up on that trail... starting to REALLY lean hard to the left going up. and pitches the vehicle at some uncomfortable angles... the rest of the trail is a kick....
I absolutely hated the first hill on BTR. So much so I don't want to do it again. Everything else was a hoot though, including White Knuckle!

The climb before White Knuckle (forget the name) definitely got my attention, as the front of the Chili got REALLY light - more so than anything on Hell's Revenge. I had do air down just to get bite without hop at the very bottom (which is something you do NOT want. It would be pretty terrifying to do a Randy on that hill).

JadeRunner
01-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I’ve run this trail at CM twice and as Gary said we always turned around at the end without running down White Knuckle. We watched the big guys go down it and up. It didn't look that fun to go down to me and I sure couldn't come back up it and stay with the group.

She will have a blast on the rest of the trail. Bypass hi-dive (again not much in the fun dept.). Upchuck is easy with the right line. With Rachel’s front locker she won't have a problem with the first obstacle. So I would recommend it to her.

wthomas
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
If you turn around at White Knuckle you're missing out on a great section of trail that goes through Hunters Canyon.

Hulk
01-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Most trail leaders will take the whole group down White Knuckle and finish the trail. It's a scary drop, but you guys did that big ledge on Steelbender -- it's not much steeper than that.

Red_Chili
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Didn't the very first obstacle change considerably in the last couple years? When I took it, it sucked (IMHO).

Then pix from later runs didn't look all that bad (no leftish turn required, on the hill, just above the big hole that would swallow my 4Runner, kill me, and then burp in obscene pleasure. I really do not like rude obstacles like that).