PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Snow and Pizza Run

JadeRunner
01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Great run everyone. It seemed like the group was ”medium” in size for Pizza run standards. It helped having the first group take off on their own. There were quite a few late comers that formed a rear group. The reality of the Yankee Hill area is that groups get split up and groups find side challenges which was good. I think most people had a good time.

No new snow in a while enabled us to make it all the way over and down into Fall River road which was kind of rare. There were indeed a lot of large drifts up top that caused the straps and cables to come out throughout the day. Good fun. My winch cable set screw rusted out and came un-raveled. I had to duct tape it back to the spool to get it going again. Time for synthetic.

The first group decided to take a side route down from the play area. It proved to be tight in the trees and difficult. They spent a bunch of time getting turned around and back out and ended up behind us up near the top. Uncle Ben has his built 40 came out to play and swung around from fall river road and met us at the top. He and Treeroot broke down all the top drifts for us. My brother Jeff and his girlfriends son were with me. Jeff suggested bring sleds so we did and the Nay family and all had a great time sledding up top. We gathered back up together at the bottom of Yankee Hill proper and exited.
I think Bo Jo’s went well. Except for the delay at one point with the pizza buffet. We had 45 adults there and came in under budget. It was good times with a great group.

Perry will have to post up some of his pictures from his new camera. I didn't take any this year. Very odd.

jacdaw
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
I could hear radio traffic of winching endeavors down in Lafayette (ham, of course, not cb) but decided not to interrupt -- sounded like good stucks were being achieved.:thumb:

Bruiser
01-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the good time everyone. Thought I would throw up a few picks before someone got angry.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1Kmsk7ln-I/AAAAAAAAAP8/3sci_bTY0ic/IMG_4552.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1KmsmtUK0I/AAAAAAAAAQA/F_4AjCJhXOE/IMG_4558.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1Kms5Du3EI/AAAAAAAAAQE/Fzkztqo63bw/IMG_4566.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1Kms9O_LTI/AAAAAAAAAQI/aZBWq5_zWfI/IMG_4571.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1Kmsxir5YI/AAAAAAAAAQM/SoJYn-0a1Ss/IMG_4573.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1Km0Mbz3cI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/-MoFsx8KOMo/IMG_4576.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1Km0DYMLOI/AAAAAAAAAQU/7SDfORxts9c/IMG_4577.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1Km0MvbwaI/AAAAAAAAAQY/g3S5BOtdea0/IMG_4578.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3g4tDNpSrlA/S1Km0ddthBI/AAAAAAAAAQc/en1Ll_xRJ6M/IMG_4582.JPG

Romer
01-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Nice pics. Remember the 5th one when it comes time to submitt for the 2011 Calendar

corsair23
01-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Nice pics. Remember the 5th one when it comes time to submitt for the 2011 Calendar

Maybe we should start a sticky thread in the Members Only section now for 2011 calendar picture submissions :)

If someone has a picture they feel would be prime calendar material they can post it up in there for safe keeping :thumb:

Big John
01-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Looks like fun. Just about the time I was going to ask you guys if you were cool with newcomers, I got a deposit on my rig. I'm sure "Murphy" would have had a party with me had I gone anyhow. With any luck, I'll have something else built by this time next year. Just gotta find it, buy it, build it. No problem right???

DaveInDenver
01-17-2010, 08:13 AM
I could hear radio traffic of winching endeavors down in Lafayette (ham, of course, not cb) but decided not to interrupt -- sounded like good stucks were being achieved.:thumb:
I reported in one time on ham, too. W0IIN and I were chatting from my QTH at Broadway and Arapahoe. I was able to monitor the guys most places from our house all the way down to Santa Fe and Mineral. The CB never broke squelch even once, though. ;-)

Uncle Ben
01-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Looks like fun. Just about the time I was going to ask you guys if you were cool with newcomers, I got a deposit on my rig. I'm sure "Murphy" would have had a party with me had I gone anyhow. With any luck, I'll have something else built by this time next year. Just gotta find it, buy it, build it. No problem right???

Newcomers/guests are always welcome, no matter what you drive! Congratulations on the sale! :thumb::thumb:

60wag
01-17-2010, 09:17 AM
I had lots of fun on the run. The pace was nice, although I was a bit late and got to move pretty quickly to catch up to the group.

I got to use most of the recovery gear: straps, winch, hilift, spare tire and even the cool gas siphon hose that I won at Cruise Moab 5 years ago. The shovel never came out though.

For a trail that is not too tough when dry, the snow makes you hammer the truck much more agressively to get through the deep parts. All the trucks managed to hold together despite the hammer fest. Only one flat tire out of all the wheels on the trail is pretty impressive.

The Pizza at BeauJo's was great and gave eveyone a chance to chat about the run rather than the usual end of trail split up. Thanks Scott for being the lead guy for such a large group of people.

Red_Chili
01-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Well done, Scott. Couldn't think of a single thing that needed improving. OK, maybe the short excursion I took the lead group on... but then again that was a hoot and it would have joined up with the main trail again.

Perry got a pic of the Chili buried up to the frame, and she was still managing a bit of forward progress!! At that rate I would have made it back to rejoin the group.

By April.

Jacket
01-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks Scott for organizing, and thanks to Rudy for taking care of the rear. It was a great day!

FJBRADY
01-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Michele and I had a great time. Big thanks to Scott and anyone else who had a hand in putting this run together.

My vote goes to ZIronPig.....the biggest cheers of the day were from the ole 55 bombing the hill and almost making it :thumb: :bowdown::zilla:

RedCreeper
01-17-2010, 10:26 AM
What a fun day. Alexis bonked her head on one of my launches but all in all a good day. till i lost a tire. have not had a chance to clean it up and see what happened but the consensus is a popped bead. thanks everyone for helping me get the spare on in a some what tough spot. the lift made a difference i am happy to report. thanks SRTBUS. i think the FJCs did very well today would you say Chris? i have a few pics also and will try to get them up soon.

leiniesred
01-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey thanks Scott and the crew. I love it when we are actually moving on a snow run. Making it all the way over to Alice is indeed a rarity. Everyone had good tow points and were prepared for the conditions. Thanks to Bob in Denver and Hants for getting things organized on the last hill climb to get everyone up the hill. Oh yeah, and thanks to 60wag for helping out with the 55 in the parking lot and the blue FJ40 on the trail.

My favorite part? Watching Zak's FJ55 climb up the last snow hill just as far as everyone else got. I think the biggest smiles were in the FJ55! Great drivin' guys!.

Air Randy
01-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks Scott, great job! Dee and I and The Gecko had a great time. Heres a few of Dee's pics.

RockRunner
01-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Geat time had by all, waching some of the other trucks bashing through the drifts was a blast. The H3 and 55 did a great job attaking the hill :bowdown: and everyone was excited for for them.

The little side trail Bill took the lead group on turned out to be the hardest challange we faced nearly all day;). The hill climb was fun too, got to go up and down it about 5 times to flatten the snow for the lower trucks, that was too much fun:D.

Sharon:Princess: did not have to pull to much winch line this year so she got to enjoy it with the doggies. The dogs were so tired last night that when we came home they ate their dinner and headed upstairs to their beds right away.:D We followed shortly there after ;)

Thanks again Scott GREAT JOB and Bo Joe's (sp) worked out great!!!:thumb:

Nay
01-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the great day! I did the usual 80's dance of spinning all four in idle while resting on the frame in a big drift or two, and then running down the hill with Randy who wanted to get back to Central City to load up the Gecko and getting stoopid stuck in a spot that I got stoopid stuck last year (Two things: 1) consistency is not always a virtue and 2) I really do need a winch at this point :hill:).

I'll have some video to post up when I get a few mins to mess with it. Sorry we missed the pizza, my older boys had a guest whose mother was really nervous about him attending and we needed to get him back by the time we got off the trail. The sledding was the definitely a highlight of the day, not often you get a quasi snow disc half tube 20 feet off the trail :D

Awesome run :cheers:

FJBRADY
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
1) Randy and Dee
2) Bill and Tom
3) When did Stephen Rudy convert his truck to right hand drive?
4) More proof
5) Gave the snatch strap a serious workout with the Treeroot extraction.

FJBRADY
01-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Wild Rice

nakman
01-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Really awesome run, thanks again Scott for the coordination, especially the pizza was so nice to walk in and have it already there, rather than wait 45 minutes for them to cook one. Enjoyed all the antics on the trail like everyone else, didn't take many pictures though. I got to use my winch though right off the bat, trying to catch up to the group still at 35 psi.. was fun to take the truck out for a change, I think it really enjoyed it.

video of Chris Davis - final hill climb (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/chris_snowrun.AVI).

rover67
01-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Scott, thanks for organizing! I'd say it was a very successful event!

I know I had a blast :)

As was said above it was great to arrive at Beajos' and have everything ready to go.

here are a few videos, hopefully the link works. I've never tried to link one before.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/rover67/MVI_2695.AVI

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/rover67/MVI_2699.AVI

and a few pictures. I didn't take a whole lot of pics, and the ones I did take didn't turn out so great...

Big John
01-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Newcomers/guests are always welcome, no matter what you drive! Congratulations on the sale! :thumb::thumb:Thanks and hopefully I'll get to take you up on that this summer. Looking to find a 3rd gen to throw a few inches of lift on, build some bumpers and some sliders and go have some fun.

bh4rnnr
01-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Lots of Fun yeasterday, thanks everyone! Had a great time riding with Bill (thanks for the ride home as well:thumb:) and the lifted group. Working on pics now, will start a thread here soon.

And on a side note, got the Xterra home today, was I the only one to have mechanical issues in the group:confused::rolleyes:

Looking forward to the next outing!:beer::beer::beer:

A teaser for now:p:

Hulk
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
And on a side note, got the Xterra home today, was I the only one to have mechanical issues in the group:confused::rolleyes:

Perry, you bought a Nissan Xterra? :confused: What happened to your Runner?

bh4rnnr
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Perry, you bought a Nissan Xterra? :confused: What happened to your Runner?

It's my Dads, drove the 4runner up today to meet the towing company:rolleyes:

JadeRunner
01-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Scott, thanks for organizing! I'd say it was a very successful event!

I know I had a blast :)

As was said above it was great to arrive at Beajos' and have everything ready to go.

here are a few videos, hopefully the link works. I've never tried to link one before.

and a few pictures. I didn't take a whole lot of pics, and the ones I did take didn't turn out so great...

Those videos were pretty humorous. I've never seen anyone successfully rock the vehicle free from inside the cab.

Old40Dog
01-17-2010, 05:26 PM
It's my Dads, drove the 4runner up today to meet the towing company:rolleyes:

Whew! That's good...had me concerned for a minute that Perry had gone over to the dark side!:lmao:

We all had a blast!:thumb: Zach got in some behind the wheel time on his first legal trail outing.:eek: :lmao:

The 55 suprised all of us with its snow capabilities with the total stock set up. Next time Zach hopes to have some taller tires on her. Got the wheels, just need to get the $$$ together for the tires.

rover67
01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Those videos were pretty humorous. I've never seen anyone successfully rock the vehicle free from inside the cab.

Watching them rock the truck free was REEEAAAAALY entertaining, we all laughed pretty hard :) Pretty hillarious that it actually worked.

It was a good time. :D

MDH33
01-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Someone pouring apple juice into a 40 carb one capful at a time?? :confused: :hill:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=16607&stc=1&d=1263758743

rover67
01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Someone pouring apple juice into a 40 carb one capful at a time?? :confused: :hill:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=16607&stc=1&d=1263758743

check it out, this is zoomed in. It's Gatorade...

I like the way I got the drops.

60wag
01-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Who'd a thought a 40 would run on Gatorade? The truck had a weak fuel pump and was having a tough time starting. A couple capfuls of the magic juice and it fired right up. (Ok, so it was actually gasoline.)

SRT08BUS
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I was glad that I made it to the party, the run was just not in the stars for me. Thank you very much for your help and quick lesson Hants:bowdown:! Glad to hear everyone had fun, big thanks to Jaderunner and everyone who helped out putting the run together. You gotta love this club:thumb:

RLMS
01-21-2010, 12:26 AM
We had a great time, thank you all for lettings us come and enjoy a rising sun run for the first time!!

Thanks again

Justin

Nay
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
A little bit of video, mostly just of me, it's hard to ask :Princess: to video too much when she's holding onto a 50 lb puppy and responsible for 5 kids, too :D

I conveniently left out the video of my getting stuck in "Scott's Drift" because it's so short from attempt to done :hill:

http://vimeo.com/8916655

RedCreeper
01-27-2010, 12:21 PM
I finally got some of my PICS downloaded. Was able to get air back in the tire and been good since. Whew! Guess i need beadlocks now. Thanks again for everyones help in getting me back on the trail.

RedCreeper
01-27-2010, 12:23 PM
A few more.

Old40Dog
01-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I finally got some of my PICS downloaded.

Wow Kenny! Great close-ups on the rigs! :D That must be a nice camera! :cool: They're so clear you can see which driver's shaved before the run...:lmao:

Glad to hear there's no real damage to the tire. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Wow Kenny! Great close-ups on the rigs! :D That must be a nice camera! :cool: They're so clear you can see which driver's shaved before the run...:lmao:

I whole heartedly agree! The one of Rudy should be calendar stock!

rover67
01-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Nice shots man! thanks! I like the faces!

leiniesred
01-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Nice! I'm with Marco. Rare shots where you can see the expressions on the operator's faces! Thanks for posting them!

RedCreeper
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks Dave, the camera helps but the glass in the lens is the most important. Since this is how i make my living i had to invest in the good stuff. Sometimes i think i need a personal guard with me to just protect my bag. haha.

Thanks Uncle Ben.

Quote - "leiniesred Nice! I'm with Marco. Rare shots where you can see the expressions on the operator's faces! Thanks for posting them!"

Quote - rover67 " Nice shots man! thanks! I like the faces!"

I thought the faces were great. Good to see the expressions folks have when it gets interesting.

It is hard to take PICS when your a driver. A hard balance for me. I love to drive and take PICS so one has to take second. Glad you guys like them. :thumb:

Any body have any PICS of mine that day? I thought i seen a few camera out of a few of my stucks.

Gerdo
03-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Looked like a good run.Wish I could have made it this year.