PDA

View Full Version : GPS for Moab

Air Randy
01-17-2010, 08:14 PM
I have a Garmin StreetPilot III GPS unit. Does anyone know what the best base map SW is that will work on this unit so it will show the trails in the Moab area?

Once I get that on, do we have the actual trails saved as data files that can be uploaded to the unit to show better detail?

RockRunner
01-17-2010, 09:16 PM
I have the Garmin software that shows the county roads and US forest service roads.

There is a site and a link to the trails but cannot remember the location. I am sure somebody will chime in. Last time I think Romer gave me the link to BTR.

PabloCruise
01-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Funny timing, I just got looking at my old GPS tracks.

I never named them according to the trail...

Garmin TOPO map doesn't ID them either...

Do you guys mind taking a look at them to help me with the names?

PabloCruise
01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Or would this be better posted in the Trails section?

AxleIke
01-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Randy, I have the 1:24000 TOPO for the southwest. It is by far the best for garmin that you can get, but it will set you back 100 bucks. For what I do, its well worth it, as it covers CO, NM, UT, and just about all of AZ, virtually everywhere I'd conceivably wheel.

I'm working on how to upload GPX routes to the GPS, but it seems like it should be fairly straight forward, I just haven't had the unit long enough to fully explore the capabilities.

nakman
01-17-2010, 09:40 PM
TJ I'm going to guess Steelbender, Poison Spider mesa, and Fins & Things. Although it doesn't look like you made it all the way on Poison Spider, maybe turned around after the waterfall? how close am I..

PabloCruise
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I could see the Fins and Things one, I did Steelbender when I was riding with Kipper one year. I do not remember if we did Poison Spider though...

Do we have any seconds confirming Fins and Things?

I should have kept track of my runs each year, or named my files!

Thanks Nak!

Shark Bait
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Is that Fins or Hell's Revenge? The last one could be Rose Garden Hill if you come in off 128.

PabloCruise
01-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Is that Fins or Hell's Revenge?

That is what I was afraid of. What is the best way to figure out?

nakman
01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
It's gotta be fins- hells would put you a lot closer to town and the Slickrock bike trail. that switchback that's about 3/4" left and a little down from the word "Morning" is Kenny's Climb.

Shark Bait
01-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Google is your friend. :p: http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

corsair23
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Do we have any seconds confirming Fins and Things?

I second Nakman on Poison Spider but like him I don't think you have all of it showing...

Hulk
01-18-2010, 12:29 AM
That last one looks like Fins to me.

PabloCruise
01-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Thanks guys...

If anyone has coordinates (waypoints or tracks) for the o/n run, Hells, Wipe Out or Gold Bar Rim, could you let me know?

Bighead
01-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Randy, I have the 1:24000 TOPO for the southwest. It is by far the best for garmin that you can get, but it will set you back 100 bucks. For what I do, its well worth it, as it covers CO, NM, UT, and just about all of AZ, virtually everywhere I'd conceivably wheel.

I'm working on how to upload GPX routes to the GPS, but it seems like it should be fairly straight forward, I just haven't had the unit long enough to fully explore the capabilities.

Isaac...did that come on a disc or on a Flash card?

RockRunner
01-18-2010, 08:55 AM
I have the same one Isaac has and mine was a DVD. The smaller one he is talking about was on a mini flash like you use in a phone. Mine had CO, NM, and I think AZ but not sure:confused:. Problem is that I think Sharon :Princess: used it and erased the data :(

Air Randy
01-18-2010, 09:25 AM

With that base map SW does it show the trails when you're in Moab? If it does it would be great to be able to put it in track/bread crumb mode so you can save the route with all of the proper turns.

AxleIke
01-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Isaac...did that come on a disc or on a Flash card?

On a DVD, but I put it on my 4gig mini sd.

AxleIke
01-18-2010, 11:25 AM
With that base map SW does it show the trails when you're in Moab? If it does it would be great to be able to put it in track/bread crumb mode so you can save the route with all of the proper turns.

Well, I haven't had it all that long, but yes, it does show the trails, and has their names