PDA

View Full Version : Experience with BJ70?

Telly
01-19-2010, 10:45 AM
There is a 1985 BJ70 in Snowmass that I might check out this weekend. Seller told me this: LHD, 3B non-turbo'ed diesel, 5-speed, rusty quarters, good frame, 250,000 miles, 12V power, and a salvaged title (don't know why). I have not seen or driven the rig yet. I've requested pictures from the seller.

Anyone have experience with this model? Am I getting into a money pit with parts availability? Should I stop obsessing with this rig and get on with my life? :rolleyes:

Thanks. Doug

wesintl
01-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I have a little bit.

Drive train is easy to source parts for, body wise is much, much tougher.

looked pretty rusty from the pics, the 3b is nothing special imho. although it's a tough little 4 banger

let me know if you have any specific questions

Telly
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/1518830892.html
I checked the Craiglist Highlighted thread and did not see this one flagged.

The seller has a turbo and manifold not installed. I think a head from a 13B-t would be required to install the turbo? My guess is my 8 year riding his bicycle will have better accelleration than this rig.

Is the price way out of line?

This looks like a major money pit project but think how cool it would be when she's done:D. Damn the obsession!

Bruce Miller
01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I think the salvage title may indicate that the insurance company has written the truck off. Would be interesting to find out why. Parts are easy to come by in the U.S., easier if you have a Toyota part number. Good that the turbo hasn't been installed as a stock truck will be more valuable than one that has been altered. The 3B is a great engine, capable of 500K dependable miles . But I can assure you, this is a slow truck, it goes slow down the hills and even slower yet going up hill. Maybe we'll see more BJ's imported into the U.S. now that they are 25 years old this year. If your plans would be to fix it up, remove the rust, or restore it, it would be expensive. I think the seller has it priced too high and the S-Title would concern me. My $.02 worth.